Athenaeus - Deipnosophists Book IX

This forum is a copy of a site that contained Alexander source material compiled, and in some cases translated, by pothos members. The original site has now disappeared but the material is reproduced here to preserve it.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Book IX. 393 b - c

The middle syllable of the name for quail is prolonged in Attic Greek, just as in doidyka (pestle) and in keryka (herald); so Demetrius Ixion states in his treatise On the Alexandrian Dialect. But Aristophanes made it short in The Peace, for the sake of the metre: “Home-bred quails (ortyges). The so-called chennia (it is a small quail) are mentioned by Cleomenes in his Letter to Alexander, writing as follows: “Ten thousand smoked coots, five thousand thrushes, ten thousand smoked quails (chennia).” And Hipparchus in The Egyptian Iliad: “And I liked not the life which the Egyptians lead, for ever plucking quails (chennia) and slimy magpies.”

Book IX. 398 e - f

Learning that that was the name given to the bird* among the Moesians and the Paeonians, I recalled it in the verses of Aristophanes. I thought too that the creature must have been deemed worthy of mention by the learned Aristotle in that costly treatise of his; for the story goes that the Stagirite received eight hundred talents from Alexander to further his research on animals; but I could not find anything said about it, and I was most glad to have the witty Aristophanes as a most trustworthy witness.”

* A bird called a Tetrax.

Book IX. 401 b

Theopompus, in the twentieth book of the Histories, says that in the neighborhood of Bisaltia* hares occur which have two livers.

* Bisaltia, a region in the eastern part of Macedonia, extending south into the Chalcidic peninsula.