The Divisions of the empire

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexnut

The Divisions of the empire

Post by Alexnut »

What is the controversy between the divisions between Ptolemy and Seleucus? who had which area of the empire after death. Curious future historian
Heylo

Re: The Divisions of the empire

Post by Heylo »

Ptolemy recieved Egypt and Seleucus the remainder of the empire after Antigonus got greece to asia minor- to israel! cheers
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

I wasn't aware that there was a controversy? Ptolemy asserted himself as the authority in Egypt, and Nicator in Persia. The two kingdoms were almost from the outset at war with each other over border regions.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I believe Peukestas was named satrap of Persis, Seleukos had charge of the Indian elephants and another slice of that area of Asia and became very well established. Eumenes was up in Kappadokia. Ptolemy went to Egypt as satrap to oversee the building of Alexandria and obviously was quite happy with that.
Antigonos One Eyed took over as Regent of Asia after Perdikkas was assassinated in Egypt. Before that he was in Phrygia.
nick
Somatophylax

Re: the strange career of Seleucus

Post by nick »

Hi Companions -The issue is perhaps even too complicated for a proper Forum discussion. When Alexander died Seleucus was not awarded with a satrapy, but 'promoted' to the office of supreme Companion cavalry commander. Though this must have been a very distinguished and honorable office, it is clear that he was not one of the main players in the succession. Only later, by twists of fate, he won himself the satrapy of Babylon - and from there broadened his power base over most of Alexander's Asian domains. At the age of perhaps 77, after defeating Lisymachus in 281 BC, Seleucus came within an inch of recovering (most of) Alexander's empire - but was assassinated.Regards -
Nick
susan
Somatophylax

Post by susan »

I wonder if Seleucus was strengthened by , and acted partly as a frontman for, his Persian in-laws - while Spitamenes was dead, the name may have still carried some political weight, and the connection of being Spitamenes' son-in-law must have helped him to get control of Asia. The mere fact that the Susa marriages occurred at all shows the need for Alexander's men to legitimise their rule by marrying into the Iranian aristocracy; this would have been truer than ever for aspiring satraps in the chaos after Alexander's death.
Susan
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Seleukos was designated satrap of Babylon at the Triparadeisos settlement. In his push for supreme authority Antigonos ejected him but withPtolemy's help he was able to regain his lands. Only in 301BC after Ipsos did he fall out with Ptolemy over Coele-Syria, this was to have passed to Ptolemy but he failed to make the battle, possibly due to a report that his allies had been defeated. Lysimachos took asia Minor but Seleukos pushed for Syria as well and Ptolemy refused to relinquish his claim. The story is best followed in Diodoros bks 18-20
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Susan,I have absolutely no doubt that Seleucus' being married to a Persian helped his position, at the time when he had gained some control over the Iranian provinces... although I don't think Apama being his wife helped him seize power in the first place.Of course, the fact that his son, Antiochus, was half-Persian, will have been of great help to keep hold of the Asian possessions when Seleucus was murdered.What I'd like to investigate further (oh dear, more reading to do...) is how far having a Persian wife will have helped him consolidate power in Babylon - after all, there is some evidence that Babylon revolted against its Persian rulers shortly before Alexander crossed into Asia, and Mazaeus was only more acceptible as a satrap because he was obviously a Babyloniphile (his two sons both had Babylonian names) - a good reason for Alexander to confirm him in his post in 331BC. But the Babylonians were clearly not 100% happy with being ruled by Persians, so did Spitamenes' daughter help or hinder Seleucus?All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

I think by this time Seleukos' Macedonian blood will have been what counted; the Persians seem to have accepted their conquerors as their new rulers, it is the Greeks who are continually rising.Also a major part of Antiochos' smooth transition to power will have been that for five years or so he had been asssociated in power with Seleukos, ruling the upper satrapies with his step-mother/wife Stratonice.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I think you're right, that it was Seleucus rather than his ties to Apama.I had forgotten that Antiochus shared the rule with Seleucus - thanks for reminding me. All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK