Droit du seigneur back there

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Susa the Great
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Droit du seigneur back there

Post by Susa the Great »

Hi there,

I have this idea that Mary Renault, in Persian Boy, mentions something that resembles a lot this droit du seigneur (lord's right) in Persia somewhere (Babylon? not sure). Do you have any ideas about this being something that Alexander might have had to deal with being the king then? I know that it is very well known in mediaeval times though...

Rgds!

Susa
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: Droit du seigneur back there

Post by agesilaos »

Droit de seigneur, the right of the feudal lord to deflower any virgin in his fief, is certainly alien to Achaemenid Persia (and I am unsure how much it germaine to mediaeval europe and not an extension of Victorian paedophile fantasy); what was common was a form of religious prostitution whereby a woman was dedicated to the goddess and could not marry until she had slept with someone at the temple (read Gore Vidal 'Creation' for a touching scene where the protagonist takes a much older woman so that she can escape her unmarriageable state; great book, anyway, everyone on ths forum should read read it, and I am not part of the Vidal estate!).

Even the extent of temple prostitution has probably been exagerated by the prurient interests of graeco-roman commentators, increased by more modern sexual obsession. Renault was just using a too modern analogy to further her story.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
Susa the Great
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Droit du seigneur back there

Post by Susa the Great »

Ok, not too well known in medieaval times! I thought it had been widely accepted that that happend, and I see it hasnt. I was checking internet, and what I did find was that the 'sacred marriage' thing with kings and high priestesses goes back hundreds of years before Alexander, so.... Shouldnt be probable... Anyway, that would have annoyed him so completely, no? :)
Thanks for the reply!
Come live forever with me, or transpire / a flame alone on a funeral pire / We'll build an empire if we so desire, travel the world, and set it on fire.