Post traumatic stress in Maracanda?

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post traumatic stress in Maracanda?

Post by agesilaos »

Alexander and post-traumatic Stress Disorder

L A Trittle has suggested in his paper ‘Alexander and the Killing of Cleitus the Black’ that the Great Macedonian was suffering from PTSD when he murdered Cleitus at Maracanda.

Trittle accepts that, ‘The assertion that Alexander, or anyone in the ancient Greek world, could have been troubled by such a “modern” phenomenon will unsettle some for sure.’ He proceeds to demonstrate that there are clear examples of hysterical blindness in the sources so we may consider the point that ancient warriors were subject to similar stresses as their modern counterparts. This is a long way from showing that Alexander was suffering from PTSD, however.

Trittle supplies a list of the symptoms of the condition, viz.;

‘1) Loss of authority over mental functions – particularly memory and trustworthy perception.
2) Persistent mobilization of the body and mind for lethal action, with the potential for explosive violence.
3) Persistence and activation of combat survival skills in civilian life.
4) Chronic health problems stemming from the chronic mobilization of the body for combat.
5) Persistent expectation of betrayal and exploitation; destruction of the capacity for social trust.
6) Persistent preoccupation with both the enemy and the veterans own military/government authorities.
7) Alcohol and drug abuse.
8) Suicidality, despair, isolation, and meaninglessness.’

He then singles out the following as typical of Alexander - 1 (but only trustworthy perception) 2, 5 (but only social trust) and finally 7, although later he attempts to show a predisposition for suicide.

These symptoms are not given equal weight by the British Institute of Psychiatry with the alcohol abuse being relegated to a secondary indication.

There are many problems with diagnosing Alexander with PTSD in 328/7 the main one being that of Trittle’s point 4. It was five years before Alexander died and he showed no sign of the chronic health problems con-commitant with the condition. Conversely he displays a rude good health sufficient to recover from his chest wound and make it across the Gedrosian desert!

The BIP stress the effects on the memory, but Alexander is allegedly able to quote freely from Euripides and Homer, during his final illness he can recognise many of his men not feats of a troubled memory.

Again Alexander continues to administer the Empire and run the campaign, he intervenes in the various quarrels of Hephaistion and demonstrates a political tact not associated with PTSD.

All this suggests conclusively that Alexander was not suffering from PTSD. His drinking is merely part of Macedonian culture as it is part of the rugby ethos. That fights will occur when alcohol and testosterone are thrown into a cocktail with insult and antagonism does not require a psychological illness; unless every city centre is full of teenagers similarly suffering every Friday.

We might even posit what allowed the ancient warrior to seemingly remain free of the crippling psychological consequences of combat.

First and foremost, even in Alexander’s time there was not the total separation of the military and civilian. In the fourth century BC most citizens will have experienced war and combat this meant that the returning soldiers did not find themselves outside of society they were fully accepted and integrated. This was not the case with the men returning from even WWI, in fact even the heroes of ‘The Charge of the Light Brigade’ were reduced to beggary, once war became divorced from the general experience soldiers found themselves unable to relate the horrors that they had seen in battle. Again, whilst feeling someone else’s intestines spilling down your arm is unpleasant as is having a spear thrust in your genitals, there is still a feeling of self determination, your own efforts can improve your chances. On a modern battlefield mutilation speeds unseen out of the blue and that impotence in the face of death increases the stress levels exponentially. Further, the modern soldier fight in dispersed formations which lower morale, increasing stress in antiquity you would generally be able to smell your comrades let alone feel them, proximity has been shown to increase the will to combat.

Trittle does mention some of these points but only to dismiss them and he only treats the so-called ‘Reign of Terror’ ignoring the clear evidence that Alexander was functioning very well. It is also somewhat odd to question a man in the midst of a military campaign among nobles of dubious loyalty for being suspicious and on his mettle. In fact, Alexander continued to hand out independent commands which speaks of more confidence in his lieutenants than the hyper-paranoid interpretation of Alexander would allow.

So whilst the case for combat stress in the ancient world in proven it is a step too far to impute that Alexander was suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder.
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Post traumatic stress in Maracanda?

Post by jan »

Very interesting discussion. Excellent rebuttal to the premise. Thanks for the insights. I personally have always believed that the real issue is that Kleitos is more loyal to Philip than to Alexander, and in his criticism of Alexander, is trying to undermine his confidence. That was cruel and also insubordinate! Jan
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

I agree: a fascinating read and a great counter.
-Scott B.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

agesilaos wrote:His drinking is merely part of Macedonian culture as it is part of the rugby ethos.
I beg your pardon sir! I take exception to that remark with respect to Rugby. I wish it to be known that whilst I do take a drink with my rugger it is always social and never one too many. Never one too few either it might be added. Never the less, the notion that us rugger fans are nought but alcohol drenched, cravat wearing old school slops swillers cannot stand! Nor can I but that is of no consequence.

Joshua! Another of those Little Creatures for the Old Man now eh?

A little more seriously though...

There is a tendency to apply modern concepts to ancient cultures and structures. This is not to say that ancient warriors did not suffer from combat stress: people - innately - are little different then to now. It is the cultural and technological (as Agesilaos remarks) milieu that is different.

Most often this tendency is seen in religious and moral discussions. On the religious side there is often a tendency to disregard or downplay the importance of ancient religious practises and their part in ancient life. Ancient religion(s) did not, on the whole, bequeath us a written record of ritual and observance: there are no cannons of doctrine, law and practice such as rigor-moritse the Catholic Church. We have little to enlighten us in any modern attempt at the recreation of the Eleusinian Mysteries and Demetrius Poliorcetes left us no descriptions. The moral dimension – particularly sexual – is amply demonstrated on other threads.

The ancient world of Alexander’s anabasis was a far more immediate and deadly world. Death came in ways that nowadays are almost forgotten (aside from “super bugs”) and was an accepted part of life. The notion that the natural state of the ancient poleis was one of war, though widely accepted today, was not quite true. Even so, death in war was as much a part of ancient life as birth. Death was embraced in a fashion not quite as it is – or isn’t – today. The Romans, of course, took their most famous entertainment in the form of combats that resulted in blood, pain and death.

All that said, there is little doubt that the “non-coms” and officers of Alexander’s army had exactly the same problems to deal with as do their modern counterparts. Tunics dyed brown by the obvious will hardly have been unknown nor deserters. The Spartans had their tresantes and Alexander, ostensibly, had his hemithorakian wearers.

I think it something of a stretch, though, that Alexander – or his officers and men for that matter – were suffering post traumatic stress in the modern sense. The example of Cleitus simply illustrates the relative value of life in a pre-Christian west. The massacres at Tyre, Thebes and Gaza speak to the same values. Cleitus, a traditional Macedone, made the cardinal error of speaking his traditional Macedonian mind to his Macedonian king. His king, well on the way to becoming something other than a traditional Macedonian king, was not in a receptive mood. The result is well known. The descriptions of Alexander’s troops and their efficacy in killing – particularly in India and in Eumenes’ service – might serve to illustrate that they’d not lost their murderous edge stressed or not.

Those suffering such stress might well be those Persians and Indians who likely presented with classic cases of “sarisa-shock”.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Dr Pat

Post by Dr Pat »

Much of Larry Tritle's argument for evidence for PTSD is extremely effectively rebutted by Sherylee Basset in an article in Ancient History Bulletin around 2001 or so; she should know, I'd say, as she's married to a very good psychiatrist, and also has a PhD under A.B. Bosworth (she and I studied together in Western Australia in the 90s). I've since become good friends with Larry (and have other Vietnam vet friends), but don't buy the retrojected psycho-babble diagnosis stuff... Basset's article is worth looking up if you're interested in this, though - all the best, Pat
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Dr Pat wrote:Much of Larry Tritle's argument for evidence for PTSD is extremely effectively rebutted by Sherylee Basset in an article in Ancient History Bulletin around 2001 or so...
Would love to look it up. A quick search turns up "The enigma of Clearchus the Spartan" for the year 2001. Do you recall the title?
Dr Pat wrote:I've since become good friends with Larry (and have other Vietnam vet friends), but don't buy the retrojected psycho-babble diagnosis stuff...
Nor do I. Agesilaos touches on it above: when death comes unseen - from the sky or from hundreds of yards away - the terror is pronounced. Ancient war - combat - was far more "personal" and immediate. It was most unlikey that a cruise missile would take out a taxis of the phalanx and no hoplite was going to be pounded by WWI artillery whilst crouching behind a pallisade for six days. Men lived; men killed. Such was rarely done out of sight of the enemy and "ambuscades" are noted as "different". In fact, the nearest thing to "Vietnam" that comes out of the classical sources is Demosthenes' (ultimately) disastrous night attack on Epipolae. Other than that, Macedonian men drank and caroused; Macedonian men - the king's hetairoi and philoi - spoke their mind. Cleitus, pissed, picked the wrong "Macedonian" king.

How near is Demetrius?
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Dr Pat

Post by Dr Pat »

Hi Michael, sorry to take so long to reply, I've been in Melbourne for the AFL Grand final, my team made it for a change (but lost, alas!). That is the article, 'The Enigma of Clearchus' indeed, worth reading on the subject, and Sherylee's credentials are impeccable.
I'm turning back to Demetrius very seriously now with some research time ahead, I'm pretty desperate to finish this project, if only for my own peace-of-mind!! He has been the veritable monkey on the back for me for over a decade, but the business of earning a living keeps interfering, you know the story. I have till March, but other projects running, then hopefully first half of 2011; - enough time? I don't know, but maybe.
Anyway, I'll make sure you get a copy for being so patient! - all the best, Pat
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Dr Pat wrote:Hi Michael, sorry to take so long to reply, I've been in Melbourne for the AFL Grand final, my team made it for a change (but lost, alas!). That is the article, 'The Enigma of Clearchus' indeed, worth reading on the subject, and Sherylee's credentials are impeccable.
I shall betake myself to Macquarie Uni and stuff yet another paper onto my external hard drive: holidays around the corner and so, possibly, there'll be a computer available (that library does not have enough!)
Dr Pat wrote:I'm turning back to Demetrius very seriously now with some research time ahead, I'm pretty desperate to finish this project, if only for my own peace-of-mind!! He has been the veritable monkey on the back for me for over a decade, but the business of earning a living keeps interfering, you know the story. I have till March, but other projects running, then hopefully first half of 2011; - enough time? I don't know, but maybe.
Anyway, I'll make sure you get a copy for being so patient! - all the best, Pat
Sounds like the bloke has been living with you for some time. Given that, one hopes you've had the liquor cabinet under hypapspist guard! A case might also be made for the old Slade tune: "Lock up your Daughters".

Yes. making a living does tend to get in the way of many a thing.

Glad your team made the GF. Thought you had it until the final eight minutes or so; ran out of puff and were "run over". Melbourne will belt Parra Sunday (20+) in the game that doesn't matter quote so much. Less said about the Wallabies, the better..

Most kind the offer of a copy. Wasn't angling for one - just waiting for it about as patiently as my 13 old for a new "Halo"... Once published it'll make a nice shelf companion for Anson's Eumenes, Lund's Lysimachos and Billow's Antogonus. The latter suffers a little from occasional outbursts of excusatory admiration. Not quite Plutarch and Alexander though.

Actually had someone quote that wonderful line of Plutarch's to me earlier in the week. I'd bought a bottle of Macedonian Shiraz at the "local" and the proprietor - a Greek (Aetolian no less) - told me that it was all fabrication that Alexander was a krater dweller in his latter years as Plutarch says he "lingered over a cup for conversation". Believed it utterly (the sleeping all day or 'til lunch was due to tiredness and physical exhaustion)!

As a son of Aetolia you'd think he'd well know better...
Paralus

Academia.edu