AtG statue at site of Gaugamela?

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: AtG statue at site of Gaugamela?

Post by Semiramis »

Efstathios wrote:What you need to understand though is that for a very long time, much longer than the Classical and Hellenistic era, the Greeks were as one.
This is such a fascinating statement. I find the formation of identity a really interesting topic. A lot of modern day nationalists, Greeks and others, insist that their ideas about “us” and “them” stretch back to the mists of time. In many cases this is a difficult claim to substantiate. Nationalist/patriotic sentiment has so little to support it, logically speaking, appeals to (imagined?) history is common.

So you’re saying two things. One – Greeks were “as one”. But two – that Alexander and Phillip’s intervention was needed to “unite” them. If the Greeks were “as one” and in need of unity, why did they themselves not understand this concept? Why did Alexander and Phillip need to march in with their mighty armies? Why did Alexander need to raze a city like Thebes, kill and turn people into slaves the same way he did with many other cities he conquered? It’s hard to make a distinction between the terrorizing of the population in Thebes versus say those of Tyre or Gaza. Similar strategy, similar effect of other cities submitting to Alexander out of fear.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that, you may perceive Greeks and Macedonians from before the Classical Era and onwards as “one”, but did they perceive themselves that way?

This is where the irony of Athens erecting a statue to Alexander is amusing. I see the evolution of a person from hated conqueror and denier of freedoms to “national hero” over the course of time thanks to the need for national identity.
marcus wrote:Still, there is a serious point to this - the Iraqis should have no particular problem about having a statue of Alexander at Erbil (or nearby) because he didn't "conquer" Mesopotamia in the standard meaning of the word. The Persians were occupiers, whether benevolent or aggressive, and Alexander occupied the area without putting everyone to fire and sword. Indeed, there is a big argument that he stimulated the economy of Babylon massively, before and after his 331BC stay there. The city's standing after 323BC remained high, right up to the point where the Seleucids lost it to the Parthians, even after it had ceased to be a capital.

No reason, as far as I can see, why there should be any problem with the Iraqis having a statue of Alexander there.
Efstathios wrote:It is exactly as Marcus said it. And the Iraqis would wish to have someone like ATG coming to liberate them instead of Bush.
What is more “liberating” about Alexander’s conquest in the region that is modern day Iraq than that of the Achaemenids or the Mongols or of Bush? What is the logic behind assuming that the Iraqi people will be more likely to want an Alexander statue than any of the others? If nothing better is found to spend money on in Iraq, perhaps all four empires should have statues erected to them. The proportion of shoes thrown on these could tell us about the current relative popularity of these conquerors?

I hear Iraq has a bit of history and heritage of its own, a significant proportion of it affected by the birthpangs of the new Middle East. As much as any occupied people’s opinions ever mattered, perhaps they would prefer restoration some of the local sites? Fewer tanks damaging the oldest cities in the world?
marcus wrote:The people of Arbela had no choice over who ruled them, the Persians or the Macedonians, and life was hardly any different after the battle from before
If Darius’ army was as large as modern historians predict, that region would surely have been stripped of food and water as they marched or camped. Perhaps a statue to the people who had to (and still have to) to suffer for conquerors’ egos would be most appropriate? :D
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Semiramis wrote:Why did Alexander need to raze a city like Thebes, kill and turn people into slaves the same way he did with many other cities he conquered? It’s hard to make a distinction between the terrorizing of the population in Thebes versus say those of Tyre or Gaza. Similar strategy, similar effect of other cities submitting to Alexander out of fear.
The sarcastic answer would be because he was "Greek". The correct answer is because this was an abject lesson. It was at the core of Alexander's "teaching programme".
Semiramis wrote:This is where the irony of Athens erecting a statue to Alexander is amusing. I see the evolution of a person from hated conqueror and denier of freedoms to “national hero” over the course of time thanks to the need for national identity.

Thank you: nailed in one.
Semiramis wrote:I hear Iraq has a bit of history and heritage of its own, a significant proportion of it affected by the birthpangs of the new Middle East. As much as any occupied people’s opinions ever mattered, perhaps they would prefer restoration some of the local sites? Fewer tanks damaging the oldest cities in the world?
Indeed, not least being the British mandate. Why did the British go back with Bush??

An excellent post Semiramis. Hear, hear!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:
Efstathios wrote:It is exactly as Marcus said it. And the Iraqis would wish to have someone like ATG coming to liberate them instead of Bush.
What is more “liberating” about Alexander’s conquest in the region that is modern day Iraq than that of the Achaemenids or the Mongols or of Bush? What is the logic behind assuming that the Iraqi people will be more likely to want an Alexander statue than any of the others? If nothing better is found to spend money on in Iraq, perhaps all four empires should have statues erected to them. The proportion of shoes thrown on these could tell us about the current relative popularity of these conquerors?
There isn't anything more "liberating" as far as I can see, although Alexander possibly did much less damage to civilian life and livelihood in Mesopotamia than the Co-alition has done. (And let's not forget, for the sake of fairness, that the USA is not the only Western power with troops in Iraq, even if they have the majority.)
Semiramis wrote:I hear Iraq has a bit of history and heritage of its own, a significant proportion of it affected by the birthpangs of the new Middle East. As much as any occupied people’s opinions ever mattered, perhaps they would prefer restoration some of the local sites? Fewer tanks damaging the oldest cities in the world?
I'm sure that, in time, they will do more to shore up the ancient sites, Sumerian, Assyrian and Babylonian. However, generally speaking "restoration" is not done. What they have to do is conserve and protect what is there, and ensure that no more is looted from the sites.
Semiramis wrote:
marcus wrote:The people of Arbela had no choice over who ruled them, the Persians or the Macedonians, and life was hardly any different after the battle from before
If Darius’ army was as large as modern historians predict, that region would surely have been stripped of food and water as they marched or camped. Perhaps a statue to the people who had to (and still have to) to suffer for conquerors’ egos would be most appropriate? :D
Yes, and Darius also ordered Mazaeus to carry out a scorched earth policy before Alexander's advance, all the way from Thapsacus. And the Macedonians ate quite a lot, as well. We also know nothing about the logistics of the Persian army - how much food they brought with them, rather than taking from the surrounding land. Anyway, the people of Mesopotamia had seen the tramping of armies and the destruction that they caused, on a regular basis for the previous 2,000 years, so it's a bit harsh to accuse the Persians or Macedonians of fundamentally changing the 'common' people's lives because of that one battle.

As for the statue - we should perhaps remember that what Iraq needs, in time, is tourist revenue. Given a list of candidates for a statue, I would suggest that the number of people who would be drawn to a statue of Alexander is far larger than the number who would be drawn by a statue of Hammurabi, or Sargon the Great, or Ashurbanipal ... :?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Hi Marcus,

Good post. Agreeing with most of it.
marcus wrote:Anyway, the people of Mesopotamia had seen the tramping of armies and the destruction that they caused, on a regular basis for the previous 2,000 years, so it's a bit harsh to accuse the Persians or Macedonians of fundamentally changing the 'common' people's lives because of that one battle.
Absolutely. Cyrus' victory propaganda sounded like sunshine and roses compared to some of the earlier declarations. So much history in that part of the world. I must clarify that my swipes are at conquerors include all ancient and modern ones. ;)
marcus wrote:As for the statue - we should perhaps remember that what Iraq needs, in time, is tourist revenue. Given a list of candidates for a statue, I would suggest that the number of people who would be drawn to a statue of Alexander is far larger than the number who would be drawn by a statue of Hammurabi, or Sargon the Great, or Ashurbanipal ... :?
Iraq is the country with the world's oldest civilizations. Why would they need a newly erected statue of a Macedonian conqueror (or anybody else) to attract tourists? The place is chocker full of ancient cities, ziggurats, palaces, temples, monuments etc. Not to mention the cities, palaces, mosques etc. that were built in the periods after Alexander. It's not a lack of attractions that stops tourists from going to Iraq, more the absence of security. Once Iraq regains its sovereignty, the best way to attract tourists would be to market the invaluable treasures that are already present there. The place is sitting on the second largest oil reserves in the world. If Iraqis can develop the tourism sector using parts of that resource, the country will have at least as many interesting sites as Egypt, Greece or Italy.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Paralus wrote:Indeed, not least being the British mandate. Why did the British go back with Bush??
Thank you for the kind words. :) Did you by any chance have a moment of amusement when the Babylonians were throwing rose petals on Alexander in Stone's movie? Do you think there was a tear or two in the Pentagon or Downing Street? :D
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Semiramis wrote:
Paralus wrote:Indeed, not least being the British mandate. Why did the British go back with Bush??
Did you by any chance have a moment of amusement when the Babylonians were throwing rose petals on Alexander in Stone's movie? Do you think there was a tear or two in the Pentagon or Downing Street?
He, he. The irony did suggest itself. Problem is, Rumsfeld probably declared the lack of rose petals a known unknowable and the reason that Stone showed Alexander receiving same an unkowable unknown.

Bush, watching the film in bewtween breifings on the baseball, most likely scoffed at the lack of a "mission accomplished" sign for the Macedonians.

Tony Blair excused it by suggesting that the Shia in Basra just did not do things in the Babylonian fashion.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

athenas owl wrote:Haven't you seen or heard of the statue in Tikrit, in "honour" of Bush? It's a big bronze shoe. :lol:
The artist who made the statue in Tikrit said it was in honour of Muntather Al-Zaidi, the journalist who threw his shoes at Bush. You're unlikely to see it though, as it was taken down a day later.
athenas owl wrote:Another thing to keep in mind, Arbil is Kurdish territory, in fact it is the capitol of the autonomous region. And the Iraqi official, Zebari, is also Kurdiah. So that adds a certain element to it.
The press release mentions the statue is meant to be in Gaugamela, which is not in Arbil. It is near Mosul, which is not part of the Kurdish governed area. What element does the ethnicity of the Iraqi foreign minister add to this issue?
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Semiramis wrote:
athenas owl wrote:Haven't you seen or heard of the statue in Tikrit, in "honour" of Bush? It's a big bronze shoe. :lol:
The artist who made the statue in Tikrit said it was in honour of Muntather Al-Zaidi, the journalist who threw his shoes at Bush. You're unlikely to see it though, as it was taken down a day later.
athenas owl wrote:Another thing to keep in mind, Arbil is Kurdish territory, in fact it is the capitol of the autonomous region. And the Iraqi official, Zebari, is also Kurdiah. So that adds a certain element to it.
The press release mentions the statue is meant to be in Gaugamela, which is not in Arbil. It is near Mosul, which is not part of the Kurdish governed area. What element does the ethnicity of the Iraqi foreign minister add to this issue?
Well. where exactly is Gaugamela? Really, I'd love to know. Did I miss the discovery of the site? My understanding is that it was north of Arbela. Have I got that all mixed up?

As for the Kurdish minister...well, Iraqi Kurdistan has been making their own path...if a statue of ATG would benefit Kurdistan (and I have seen, somewhere, commercials for Kurdish tourism) then I fail to see how his support is not adding to the "issue".
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

athenas owl wrote:Well. where exactly is Gaugamela? Really, I'd love to know. Did I miss the discovery of the site? My understanding is that it was north of Arbela. Have I got that all mixed up?
Gaugamela is thought to be 75 kilometers north-west or modern day Irbil. Which puts it east of Mosul. While Irbil is the capital of the Kurdish province of Iraq, Mosul is not in that region.
athenas owl wrote:As for the Kurdish minister...well, Iraqi Kurdistan has been making their own path...if a statue of ATG would benefit Kurdistan (and I have seen, somewhere, commercials for Kurdish tourism) then I fail to see how his support is not adding to the "issue".
Hoshyar Zebari, who happens to be Kurdish, is the foreign minister of Iraq. If the statue is built at the site of Gaugamela, it would be built outside of the Kurdish province of Iraq. Either way, as the foreign minister of Iraq, the official's decisions would have to be approved by the executive branch of the Iraqi government. I see that in the press release Artemisia provided us, the Greek foreign minister especially felt the need to mention this -
Dora Bakoyannis wrote:In closing, I think it is obvious, but I want to stress this, that Greece is firmly in favour of the unity, independence and territorial integrity of Iraq, and, of course, actively supports its efforts to win a future of stability and development.
This seems like an unequivocal statement against this cultural exchange being viewed as aiding any 'divide and rule' strategy. I would personally find it incredibly strange if people kept mentioning the ethnicity of Hoshayr Zebari's counterparts as a factor in foreign policy discussions. For example, if we were discussing a trip of any of the US Secretaries of State to a foreign country, imagine saying Hillary Clinton is white or Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell is black or Madeleine Albright is Jewish, "so that adds a certain element to it".
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Auton ... tan_en.png
This seems like an unequivocal statement against this cultural exchange being viewed as aiding any 'divide and rule' strategy. I would personally find it incredibly strange if people kept mentioning the ethnicity of Hoshayr Zebari's counterparts as a factor in foreign policy discussions. For example, if we were discussing a trip of any of the US Secretaries of State to a foreign country, imagine saying Hillary Clinton is white or Condoleeza Rice or Colin Powell is black or Madeleine Albright is Jewish, "so that adds a certain element to it".

Yes, because in the U.S. we have an autonomous region for an ethnic group! (I am not whitewashing my country's racist past). The U.S. is not in theory divided by ethnic or religious affiliation and there is not serious talk or concern of one region or another breaking away from the other parts based on those lines.

I do not wish to get into modern Iraqi politics, but as it now stands the Kurds do indeed control the area around Mosul. Just saying.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

athenas owl wrote:I do not wish to get into modern Iraqi politics, but as it now stands the Kurds do indeed control the area around Mosul. Just saying.
It is a simple fact the Mosul is the capital of the Nineveh governorate, that it is not in one of the Kurdish provinces. If you take a closer look at the map you provided in your post, this becomes very clear. Whether "the Kurds" "control" that area, or whether the Americans "control" Iraq, let's just say that a 'mission accomplished' banner does not translate to "control".
athenas owl wrote:The U.S. is not in theory divided by ethnic or religious affiliation and there is not serious talk or concern of one region or another breaking away from the other parts based on those lines.
I'm sure that the some of the people who live in the worst housing in the US or go to the worst funded schools, precisely because of their racial or ethnic background will strongly dispute the idea that the US isn't divided by these affiliations. The statistics concerning poverty, unemployment, education, housing etc. are damning when broken down by race. There is a indeed history of black separatism in the US. Farrakan's Nation of Islam still adhere to the separate black nation doctrine. Former slaves from the US founded the African nation of Liberia. Did Sarah Palin not attend an Alaskan separatist meeting causing some consternation? Not to mention the several white supremacist groups which advocate having armed militias. If I recall correctly, there was a recent attempt on Obama's life during the presidential campaign by members of one of these groups. I also recall that Obama got around 90% of the African American vote, a level of popularity that would be hard to match in other ethnic groups.

No, the US is in no way divided the way Iraq is. Especially now that the US forces are literally building walls around different areas there. But if discussions often focused on the ethnic or religious affiliation as a motivating factor for every US government official's actions, I can guarantee you, it would inflame the divisions already present and create new ones.

It would be nice to apply the same standards to them that we do to ourselves.
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

Semiramis wrote:
athenas owl wrote:I do not wish to get into modern Iraqi politics, but as it now stands the Kurds do indeed control the area around Mosul. Just saying.
It is a simple fact the Mosul is the capital of the Nineveh governorate, that it is not in one of the Kurdish provinces. If you take a closer look at the map you provided in your post, this becomes very clear. Whether "the Kurds" "control" that area, or whether the Americans "control" Iraq, let's just say that a 'mission accomplished' banner does not translate to "control".
athenas owl wrote:The U.S. is not in theory divided by ethnic or religious affiliation and there is not serious talk or concern of one region or another breaking away from the other parts based on those lines.
I'm sure that the some of the people who live in the worst housing in the US or go to the worst funded schools, precisely because of their racial or ethnic background will strongly dispute the idea that the US isn't divided by these affiliations. The statistics concerning poverty, unemployment, education, housing etc. are damning when broken down by race. There is a indeed history of black separatism in the US. Farrakan's Nation of Islam still adhere to the separate black nation doctrine. Former slaves from the US founded the African nation of Liberia. Did Sarah Palin not attend an Alaskan separatist meeting causing some consternation? Not to mention the several white supremacist groups which advocate having armed militias. If I recall correctly, there was a recent attempt on Obama's life during the presidential campaign by members of one of these groups. I also recall that Obama got around 90% of the African American vote, a level of popularity that would be hard to match in other ethnic groups.

No, the US is in no way divided the way Iraq is. Especially now that the US forces are literally building walls around different areas there. But if discussions often focused on the ethnic or religious affiliation as a motivating factor for every US government official's actions, I can guarantee you, it would inflame the divisions already present and create new ones.

It would be nice to apply the same standards to them that we do to ourselves.
Look, as I said, this country is not one to lecture others on racial equality...and as I have in a number of places, the Black vote for a Democrat is always very high. If Obama had been white, he still would have gotten the vast majority of the Black vote. Blacks, as a rule do not vote GOP, Michael Steele regardless. Farrakhan and Palin are extremes on both ends of the spectrum.

The same "standard" does not apply, because we do not have a specific region that is an autonomous entity and currently the central government having to force the army units of one part of the country out of another. Like the Kurds in Mosul . And finally, I did not mean to imply any sinister motives to the minister in the first place or make a value judgment..I just read the news. Good grief. It's just a stinking statue.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I can hardly believe this! A statue at a battle site when a hospital, a school, a senior's center, or anything of value would be so much more worthy to remember Alexander...statues are frankly silly!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Semiramis wrote:Iraq is the country with the world's oldest civilizations. Why would they need a newly erected statue of a Macedonian conqueror (or anybody else) to attract tourists? The place is chocker full of ancient cities, ziggurats, palaces, temples, monuments etc. Not to mention the cities, palaces, mosques etc. that were built in the periods after Alexander. It's not a lack of attractions that stops tourists from going to Iraq, more the absence of security. Once Iraq regains its sovereignty, the best way to attract tourists would be to market the invaluable treasures that are already present there. The place is sitting on the second largest oil reserves in the world. If Iraqis can develop the tourism sector using parts of that resource, the country will have at least as many interesting sites as Egypt, Greece or Italy.
My point is that the majority of people will know (or think they know) much more about Alexander than they will about any of the Sumerian, Assyrian or Babylonian civilisations. Therefore his name would be more of an identifier than proudly boasting a statue of Hammurabi.

Indeed it is not the lack of attractions. Having said that, and as I was at a lecture a couple of weeks ago by the Lead Curator of the British Museum, on the state of archaeology in Iraq today, to most people the remains of the ancient civilisations will be meaningless and, dare I say it, dull. There are no monumental temples, and even where there were ziggurats there is little remaining to be seen - it isn't like Egypt!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

marcus wrote:My point is that the majority of people will know (or think they know) much more about Alexander than they will about any of the Sumerian, Assyrian or Babylonian civilisations. Therefore his name would be more of an identifier than proudly boasting a statue of Hammurabi.
I am not advocating building anyone's statue. I don't think a newly built statue of will have much impact on attracting tourists. If India decided to build an Alexander statue next to Jhelum, I doubt it would have a noticeable impact on the tourist numbers there.
marcus wrote:Indeed it is not the lack of attractions. Having said that, and as I was at a lecture a couple of weeks ago by the Lead Curator of the British Museum, on the state of archaeology in Iraq today, to most people the remains of the ancient civilisations will be meaningless and, dare I say it, dull. There are no monumental temples, and even where there were ziggurats there is little remaining to be seen - it isn't like Egypt!

ATB
Iraq isn't like Egypt because it hasn't been marketed like Egypt. Most people know of the Pharaohs, and that's the reason why ancient ruins to do with them are exciting to the visitors. Looking at the pictures on the internet, Iraqi reliefs and ruins are in no way intrinsically more or less dull than the Roman ones I've seen. It's simply a matter of value that an education system and obliging media can attach to them. As for monuments, I have to point out that well-preserved palaces, mosques and other monuments of considerable size and beauty from the Islamic era can be found pretty easily in Iraq.

But if none of Iraq's plentiful historical heritage attracts someone to 'the Cradle of Civilization', I doubt a shiny new statue of Alexander near Mosul is going to tip the scale of balance. If people only find Alexander interesting and not the cultures and civilizations of the actual region, aren't they more likely to go to say, Greece?

My personal take - this Alexander statue is a silly and impractical idea from some über patriotic Greek official with little interest in current Iraqi needs or sensibilities. It appears that the Iraqi government is happy to smile and nod and play nice. I haven't seen attracting tourists as a reason in either of the press releases. The goals of this project seems about as well thought out as an invasion or two I can name...