Where do you think Alexander's tomb is buried ?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

lwlp

Where do you think Alexander's tomb is buried ?

Post by lwlp »

this past weeks I've read many things about Alexander the great, but the thing that kept me wondering is where is he now? Some people say that it may be somewhere in Alexandria.
so, I just wanted to know what's your opinion on where he might be.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

I think in Alexandria. Although he may well be in Siwa, as there are still questions left unanswered about the excavation there. Andrew's proposition about Venice is also interesting.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Theseus »

I hope the link works, this is a topic that may be of interest to you. You may also want to pick up a copy of Andrew Chugg's book "The Lost Tomb of Alexander the Great"
http://www.pothos.org/forum/viewtopic.p ... nders+tomb

There is a lot of debate over this topic. If his remains are in Alexandria I hope they weren't in the part that is now under water. :(
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Alexander's burial place

Post by ruthaki »

We know pretty well it must be somewhere in Egypt. The tomb they found a few years ago a Siwah, I believe was finally considered just to be 'memorial' rather than a real tomb. No doubt his body is somewhere in Alexandria as it was reported there at the time Julius Caesar came there (Cleopatra's time). And somewhere recently I read that they believe it is in the part of the old city and palace under the sea.