How much do you know about Macedon? Try this quiz.

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Callisto wrote:
smittysmitty wrote:
I got 9 out of 10 - the Cassander question threw me - and I'm not sure that I agree that Thessaloniki became Macedons capital. I guesss it doesn't really matter anyhow.
As a matter of fact i had the same thought about Thessalonica. I dont think it became capital prior to Roman era.
Ah ah! Both of you are correct to doubt this answer. :) According to this web page on Biblical Sites (biblical because Paul preached there), "Thessalonica became the capital city of the Roman province of Macedonia (146 BCE). The city was referred to as the "Mother of Macedonia" in Roman writings."

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Missed Aigai for goat and preferred not to answer the "capital" question - though Smitty tipped me off. Oh well.

Thessaloniki was not ever capital of Macedonia in pre-Roman province times to my knowledge. Cassander named the city (a habit of Macedonian kings) but no more. The Archaelogical record of Pella suggests anything but it being replaced during Diadoch or early Hellenistic times.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu