Sidon Sarcophagus in Technicolour

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:Just as a little exercize. I know your a teacher the next time you have a class ask the pulils about. Stones Alexander and 300. I would bet my bottom dollar 300 will get more feedback from your pupils than the Alexander. And as a point as Ive said before it would in my opinion be a good linch pin to stir any interest.
Well, as both films were 15 certificates, and most of my students are under 15, that could prove a little difficult! (That's not to say they haven't seen either, of course, but it would be unprofessional of me to ask - it might even be construed as encouraging them to watch them!) :lol:

Anyway, I'm not going to carry this on. As I say, you might well be right, but I have seen no evidence; and to be honest, a straw poll from a bunch of kids who aren't old enough to have seen either film legally isn't going to convince me. :roll:

Also, I'm not going to get into this whole "Stone did Alexander no favours" argument. You know my views, and I know yours. I should really have risen to your comment in the first place ... :(

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Fiona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Fiona »

jasonxx wrote:
I always maintain a journey begins with the first stem and the journey comences. Maybe not statistically proven that 300 would instill more interest in Ancient Greece. But I would wager it has more of an effect to wet the appetite for the subject.
ill not bang on about the impresion I get from every day people about Alexander. As I said all people say to me with watching Stones movie. I know its not nice but I get asked whats the attraction for a puff that cried to his mother on and on... I cant argue against any Alexander knockers because basically Stone has hanged him up to be shot at.

Kenny
Hello Kenny, I agree with you very much about the first step of the journey. I personally know eight people whose interest in Alexander was sparked by the movie, and who have read voraciously about him ever since. They are now enjoying the journey very much. Before the movie, they had simply had a vague impression that his story was all about battles. That's not to say that they're not enjoying reading about the battles now - they are - but it was the movie's concentration on Alexander the man and what made him tick that caught their attention.
They are, as it happens, all women. These 'Alexander Knockers' of whom you speak, they wouldn't happen to be all men, would they? Have you tried asking any women what they thought of it?
(None of this is meant to imply that there weren't women who were already interested in Alexander, long before Stone. Of course there were.)
I can't imagine 300 having a similar effect in sparking interest in ancient Greece. When I saw 300 in the cinema, the chortling youngsters who seemed to be enjoying it so much did not give me the impression that their next port of call was going to be the library.
The women who have been reading about Alexander, however, watched and enjoyed 300, and read up about Thermopylae too. (As far as I know, though, they did not rush out to buy all of Frank Miller's graphic novels!)
As far as the entire population of the world is concerned, your judgement may very well be right. I'm just offering a little evidence to the contrary.
Best wishes,
Fiona
Phoebus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Phoebus »

Fiona,

This is probably a somewhat irrelevant aside given that we're discussing the impact each movie had on Greek interest, but here goes anyways...

In reference to people rushing out to buy Miller's graphic novels:
Between 1999 (the release date for "300") and the first-second quarter of 2006, "300" had sold 88,000 (or so) copies of the hardback collected edition. In the 3rd quarter of 2006 alone (remember, the movie didn't come out until February or so, IIRC), Dark Horse publishing received orders for 40,000 copies. In the subsequent, first quarter of 2007 printing, sales were well over $1.5 million (over 50,000 copies).

Not too many people buy comics, all said and done. Coming close to matching one's 8 year's profits (I'm not sure what the sales were from single issues when it first came out) in a matter of 5 months is fairly impressive. Where this discussion is concerned, it's interesting because the 1Q 2007 figure is from book stores alone--not comics stores, online orders, etc.

It's certain that among those who purchased the book at bookstores were comic book fans, but the fact that it was available in their specialty stores to begin with indicates that the movie did spark an interest among casual readers as well. :)

Google is not friendly to me when I try to research book sales for Alexander the Great-related titles. If anyone can help in this, I'd appreciate it--I hate presenting only one side of the debate. I will say this, though: I did purchase R.L. Fox's "Alexander the Great" prior to the movie being released. Consequently, though, and as much as I enjoyed much of the book, I did find myself sobbing "Why, Robin, WHY?!?!?" after the fact. :wink:

Cheers,
P.
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Phoebus wrote: You're right that they are not, but the onus is on you to demonstrate that "300" was both. The creators, distributors, and makers behind it vociferously denied this even before the film was released.
Why did the creators have to deny that 300 is political propaganda even before it was released? Were they accused of such? I am not alone!! :D
From memory, the Persian messenger whose arms are amputated before the battle was black too.
Was he? He simply looked swarthy to me.
"Swarthy" is such a difficult word to define. It doesn't mean dark skin does it? :)
So, that's quite a few prominent roles. I think we'll have to agree to disagree.
And I'll reiterate: the ephors and Councilman Theros not only outnumber the two, possibly three dark-skinned individuals in the movie; they also get more screen time and represent a far greater deal of villainy than all of their "evil" counterparts combined.
The ephors were deformed and definitely "evil". It feels like you're arguing my point.
Phoebus, '300' is my first introduction to Frank Miller. I think the movie is disturbing enough to write lengthy posts about in terms of it's politics. You should've guessed that I am highly ulikely to seek out his other work. :)
Then no offense, but you can't very well say that you have a grasp of who the man is or what his beliefs are. Your only exposure to the man comes from a movie based on one of his works;
You're putting words in my mouth. The first sentence I wrote to you in this thread was emphasising that I have no interest in determining Frank Miller's political persuations. I have never claimed to "know who the man is or what his beliefs are". I've been very clear in stating that my only introduction to Miller is the movie. And having expressed my very negative views of it, when you recommended checking out his other works, I was surprised.
your reaction to that movie is negative because you feel the use of darker skin equates to a character being evil--even though there are just as much, if not moreso, evil characters who are about as white as one might get. All said and done, I'm not sure that your view of Miller is fair. I really don't mean to be rude, but I think your outlook on him is rushed.
Again. Are you arguing my point here that dark skin equated with evil the way monstrosities were? Every "evil" character that wasn't dark-skinned was deformed, which served to demonize them. The sole exception is the councilman.

I'm sure you don't mean to be rude as you say, but it would be nicer to disagree on a movie without being told to "take an objective look" or having one's views labelled as "rushed". :)
Own merit as in I shouldn't have to look at his other work to assure myself about this one.
As I said; it was an award-winning, acclaimed, and popularly received work. Artists and writers from across the field nominate the five panel members (who often are not comics professionals themselves to begin with) who vote on the best in the industry. It would take a stunningly broad cross-section of racism for "300" to skate off as the top pick of that year with the only (limited) outcry being reserved for Leonidas' "boy-lovers" line (which Miller defended as an example of Spartan hypocricy).
"Other people don't agree with you" has never stopped me before. :) In any case, it is simply untrue that the "outcry (was) reserved for Leonida' "boy-lovers" line". A simple google search with the words '300 racist' will show that.
Just to clarify, I'm talking about the proportion of dark skinned actors in speaking roles. It was obvious that not all Persians are black.
I still stand by my ground. At worst, of the two, possibly 3, black speaking roles, one is guilty of bribery and the other is guilty of whipping some people. By contrast, Theron's crimes amount to treason and rape. The ephors, who are just as monstrous as anything in Xerxes' court, drug and molest girls and young women--when they're not selling out their state.
The Ephors were deformed. Xerxes was obviously darker than the Spartans. Are you making my point or arguing against it? :)
Although, this might bring the "contrast" theory into question.
Not really, because there were several methods used for this, but we're really getting into the little details of art production.
Might be too "deep" for me... ;)
I was attempting to contrast the statements I thought were contradictory. I do try my best not to selectively quote. Apologies if that was the case. It's a bit frustrating all this. When I discuss the dark skin, the answer is "it's because it's like that in the comic". When I mention the monstrosities, the answer is "but it wasn't like that in the comic".
But the important thing here is that in the works themselves there are monstrosities for both sides. In neither work is actual evil restricted to one side.
I've stated that more than once in this thread. For example, in the sentence you quote next. The part highlighted in Italics.
I brought up the deformities in response to your statement that " I believe his point is that you should root for the hero and jeer against the villain regardless what they look like." This jars with the fact that only the bad guys (Persian or Spartan) had deformities, the good guys didn't. You can call the portrait of Ephialtes sympathetic, but he is still a traitor in the end.
I apologize; I thought it clear that I meant that on a basis of skin color. When I made that statement, I was attempting to carry on from my previous paragraph/sentence--that Frank Miller had illustrated and written black heroes before. An easy example of this would be his work on Sin City: Hell and Back, but I think that "Give Me Liberty" and its associated graphic novel and one-shot sequels (starring Martha Washington, a young African-American woman who helps decide the fate of America in a near, dystopian, future) would serve as a far better example. :)
It is a real pity then that '300' comes across as such "clash of civilizations" (intensified by "race") type propaganda. Perhaps Miller would be horrified to be associated with such ideas. But at the end of the day, that's how this piece of work comes across to me.
I'm not so sure about abelling someone an "artist" and automatically placing them above everybody else in society is the way to go. Especially if said artist is mass marketing their wares.
I didn't say that artists should get a carte blanche on that regard; I pointed to the fact that artists don't always operate along the tastes of the mass audience.
Good point. Agreed. Although, '300' must've (unintentionally?) catered to the tastes of the mass audience on some level because as a commercial blockbuster, it was highly successful at the box office.

All right. I'm done with this topic. Let's just be friends like these guys. :)

Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

Semiramis wrote: Why did the creators have to deny that 300 is political propaganda even before it was released? Were they accused of such? I am not alone!! :D
Propaganda is Pathos; theatrical, fictional; persuading the audience to believe the realism of fiction. If there ought to be anything wrong with the movie 300, it ought to be the foreshadowing towards the false-credential-war with Iran. In the ancient battle of Thermopylae the Thespians deployed an army of 700, thespian also happens to be the Greek word for actor.

So 700 actors is a lot of Pathos.

But the movie 300 seems to me more a movie about; dietary supplements, associated vitamines & nutritian support.
Aristoteles;
"Friendship is essentially a partnership"
ImageImage
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Every one Is Bloody racist or at least somethingist

I get fed up with the offence and ist crack. Nearly every day in a world of PC someone says something or does something that is Iether Racist, Homophobic atc atc. The list goes on and on.

Particullay with movies andthe way people pick up some hidden agenda that a creator is racist etc. It seems that the poplace are rather choosy with what they find offensive and other offensive stuff get ignored and laughed at.

Its been outlined 300 had black bacdies etc etc. Only parts are picked up as offensive. As Pheobus said the Deformed Oracle guys just gets skipped over.

I take issue with the whole idea of what people decide what is and isnt offensive. Every TV programe movie etc can be guilty in some way.

A point i raise, We had a new version of Hells Kitchen on British TV Headed by a fantastic Chef with a worse reputaion that Gordon Ramsey in fact the Guy had Ramsey crying.

A bit issue was made about the Chef making a fleeting comment about Pikey. Apparently pikey is an offensive word for gypsie and an issue was made of it. On the other hand the presenter was prequently making personal insultson the Chefs cleanliness and any one else he felt like having a pop at. Nothing was sdaid at all.

Whenever I see a hollywood movie. The Brit isalways some posh up himself talking toff.

As Marcus if the Brits are really like thatI.Racism Stereotypes etc etc. Is a natural thing in human race. Jelousy envy etc all parts off the human make up. Predudice racism etc will never be stopped. If everther wasany doubt human nature has the ability to be better Try watching THe Jerremy Kyle Show.

And to be honest the Ancient Hellas were as racist as you could get. There bottom line thinking was anyone outside Hellenes were barabarian. They Included Macedonians in that. Its fair to Say Alexander must have been the first un racist Greek out there. Although it served his political and conquering agenada

Kenny
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Marcus

Kids under 15 not watching older movies. . Are you saying the majority of under 15 dont watch these movies? :roll:

Are you saying under 15 have not seen movies rated over 15,

My sons comes from a school of 8 year olds and they mostly seen the Spiderman films :lol:

Are you livingin a cardboard box :lol:
Phalanx Pursos

Post by Phalanx Pursos »

jasonxx wrote:Every one Is Bloody racist or at least somethingist
Hi Kenny.

You should know that this is because public morality has been neglected for so long, in this modern society is seems as if a large portion of the general public no longer distinghuishes between morally-correct and morally incorrect.

Teach the general public about morality, virtues, justice, retribution & Human Rights.
Aristoteles;
"Friendship is essentially a partnership"
ImageImage
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Phalanx

Of coarse I totally egree with your points. Honour ,Morals, and every thing else.

Whenever was the human race ever moral. People have strived towards it but its pretty muck a utopian thought.

Indeed morals have declined more recently as its clear with society.No respect for elders or authority. Allwe can really hope for is look where our own feet are planted make our children as just and moral and hope we empower them with good morals and also the ability to protect themselves from thedangers out there.

Unfortunately societies are ruled and governed by people with no more morals that the So called vermin. Druggies Paedophiles murderes. Sometimes its really hard to tell the difference. I wonder would a warrior king with balls like Alexander turn things round. We need something before its too late. I feel the world is getting blaoted with greed capitalism and wholesale destruction. The planet cant reall take much more

kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

The figures are, of course, depicted fighting "heroically" nude. One of the reasons why it is a difficult thing directly inferring how they are engaged and with what weaponry from such "heroic" sculpture. It reflects the artistic intent rather than strict reality.
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

beausefaless wrote:Where's your articles on Pothos? Perhaps that simply reflects the lack of grammatical skills taught in your area as well?
There appears little amiss with my grammar though yours begs for correction."Where's" is a contraction of "where is" - hence the apostrophe. It should not be used in conjunction with a pluralised subject noun: "articles". "Are" would be the correct English and the appropriate contraction would then be "where're".

Whilst I have been granted the keys to post an article or two on Pothos by Thomas I have not yet done so. Truth be told, that was now so far back I'm not certain those priviliges are still "alive". Shold you wish to critique my grammar I'd suggest you buy the current issue ofAncient Warfare

You might also wish to adopt a different epithet for your favourite hate as, with such a prolonged drought and so little water now available here, hellgrammites are in increasingly short supply. It does little good for my fly-fishing as well I might add.
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Anyone who likes to fish can't be all bad

Post by Paralus »

You must enter a message when posting.....even when deleting.

Last edited by Paralus on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Paralus

Academia.edu
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Paralus

How do youknow its totally artistic intent. And not total greek propoganda showing.Those other barbarians that the Greeks are tough hard as nails fight in the bare. Its Artistic yes and its also symbolic what the Greeks I believe fundamentally thought about themselves Compared to every one else.

I doubt the idea they could be like that prevailed once the Romans turned them into a third world nation.

And to be insultive with regard to a persons homeland kinda stinks of arrogance and to back it up with a smirky Gramma lesson isnt too manly either. To start the Gramma card is a school boy arogant bully method. In particullaly when its known exactly what is been said.

That pisture as ive said as is 300 totally symbolic withart.

Kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

jasonxx wrote:How do youknow its totally artistic intent. And not total greek propoganda showing.
I didn't say that the intent was totally artistic Kenny. That figures are depicted in the stylised nude is usually termed "heroically nude" as in the depictions of the Greek demi-god heroes. Thus it is not to be taken as what, for example, a war artist will have drawn/painted of WWI battles.

In the most basic sense, the Greeks and Macedonians did not take the field naked. Much is shown, in many of these representations, as single combat and often mixed with cavalrymen. It can be difficult to baldly state that this was how any particular battle was fought.

Unlike the war artist of WWI, these artists were not always necessarily interested in accurate portrayals of arms, uniform etc.
Last edited by Paralus on Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:Marcus

Kids under 15 not watching older movies. I mean do you live in some kink of utopian Cuckoo land. Are you saying the majority of under 15 dont watch these movies? :roll:

Are you saying under 15 have not seen movies rated over 15, If you say yes then its the most idiotic statement you have made.Kind of a cop out. :roll:

My sons comes from a school of 8 year olds and they mostly seen the Spiderman films :lol:

Are you livingin a cardboard box :lol:
No, I never said they don't watch them, I just said that I don't want to ask them if they have seen them, and I sure as heck can't show them 15-rated films.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK