Your role in the latter part of the 4th Century BCE.

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Vergina Sun
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Offtopic yes, but

Post by Vergina Sun »

jan wrote::lol: Laughing at the way Alexander is portrayed in this book, nobody would want to claim to have been him, would they? Yes, I have finally finished reading the book, and became used to the way Bucephalus dominates the other horse's with his horse dung, and believe that probably Kathryn Roberts may be doing that to her reader's also. It is an amusing look at the travels of Alexander, and she certainly develops his character into that of a demon more than a god, exorcising all her ghosts along the way. She certainly developed the characters of Parmenio and Philotas in a way that I had never thought to be likely either, but it held my interest and annoyed me as well.

I guess that is why when I responded to the role playing question, I was thinking in which person one would write a story about Alexander and his merry men. At one point in her story, I saw definite resemblances to King Arthur and his knights of yore also.

I am beginning to think that England is a hotbed of anal thinking only autors at time, sorry about that, but Roberts is from Stroud, England, according to the jacket.

I think of Alexander in terms of his childhood learning and developing his skills when a child, learning how to tie his sandals properly, cleaning and wiping his shield, learning how to hold his shield properly, to maneuver with it. The typical education for a young boy who has to learn the military life, riding with his daddy on his horse in battle even, prowling through the dark forests early in the morning, stealthily looking for game, watching Daddy make his kill so he can imitate daddy himself when the time comes...so Alexander as a child learns early all the pitfalls of the life of a soldier/leader/king.

So my version of Alexander would certainly never make him appear childlike even in his adolescence, but my book is yet to be produced as I keep altering it all the time, but for children, I want them to know how Alexander learned his Greek Alphabet, to read and write, to excell in sports, as he is a born natural in athletics, and all the tests that were put to him. He would never end up becoming the sorry person that Roberts is trying to instill into the minds of teenagers.

But the book is interesting and amusing! HA!

I had to laugh at times! And in her style of writing, and theme of ghosts and things yes ithe ending is appropriate and very touching. I went with her on her ride, and liked Charm very much, but found her deviation from history to be annoying. Roxanne was 16 when they were married, and Plutarch and others say that they fell in love at first sight! So there you go...what can you do but write your own book. So I feel challenged still to do that...I am just giving you some idea of what I would write for children to know about Alexander too.

:D
I agree - I would never portray Alexander like a child even when he was. The book in general was very light-hearted and would probably seem more approachable for younger children and adults alike. I also was annoyed by the presence of Charm. I even went as far to look up if she was an actual person, when I could have just read the note at the end. Alexander seemed to be more human than anything in the book. A child with a high-pitched voice screaming "ALALALALAI!" every chance he got. And Bucephalus... I doubt I will ever forget his character. He was beautifully portrayed. I still find myself saying "HA!" sometimes. The entire ghost concept did not exactly appeal to me, but it was an interesting view. The entire book was a splendid interpretation if you ask me.
jan
Strategos (general)

Robin Lane Fox

Post by jan »

:) There is a dvd which has Robin Lane Fox as a contributor, and this book made me think of him, because he recreates the sounds of the aleilaleila, whatever, and it is so funny to watch him do this. I could not help but think that this author has been under the influence of Robin Lane Fox for sure. I am not sure if it is the National Geographic version or another. I will check to make certain. It is an interesting dvd which also has John O'Brien in it as a commentator too. If you have not seen it yet, you will really get a kick out of it when you do.
Vergina Sun

Re: Robin Lane Fox

Post by Vergina Sun »

jan wrote::) There is a dvd which has Robin Lane Fox as a contributor, and this book made me think of him, because he recreates the sounds of the aleilaleila, whatever, and it is so funny to watch him do this. I could not help but think that this author has been under the influence of Robin Lane Fox for sure. I am not sure if it is the National Geographic version or another. I will check to make certain. It is an interesting dvd which also has John O'Brien in it as a commentator too. If you have not seen it yet, you will really get a kick out of it when you do.
:D Oh, I am now dying to see Robin Lane Fox recreate a war cry. Would it be "National Geographic - Beyond the Movie - Alexander"?
sikander
Somatophylax

The War Cry

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

"recreates the sounds of the aleilaleila, whatever, and it is so funny to watch him do this."

Mostly because he does not execute it properly, nor does his expression (boy's own war cry) convey the function of the sound.. Robin tries to create the sound with his mouth, but the war cry, like the za'eet, was generated by vibrating the throat muscles while pushing the sound from the diaphragm ..

The war cry, like the za'eet, was a powerful, chilling sound when executed properly, and I can imagine the affect it would have coming from thousands of throats!

Regards,
Sikander
Sandra

Post by Sandra »

jan wrote::lol: Laughing at the way Alexander is portrayed in this book, nobody would want to claim to have been him, would they? Yes, I have finally finished reading the book, and became used to the way Bucephalus dominates the other horse's with his horse dung, and believe that probably Kathryn Roberts may be doing that to her reader's also. It is an amusing look at the travels of Alexander, and she certainly develops his character into that of a demon more than a god, exorcising all her ghosts along the way. She certainly developed the characters of Parmenio and Philotas in a way that I had never thought to be likely either, but it held my interest and annoyed me as well.

I guess that is why when I responded to the role playing question, I was thinking in which person one would write a story about Alexander and his merry men. At one point in her story, I saw definite resemblances to King Arthur and his knights of yore also.

I am beginning to think that England is a hotbed of anal thinking only autors at time, sorry about that, but Roberts is from Stroud, England, according to the jacket.

I think of Alexander in terms of his childhood learning and developing his skills when a child, learning how to tie his sandals properly, cleaning and wiping his shield, learning how to hold his shield properly, to maneuver with it. The typical education for a young boy who has to learn the military life, riding with his daddy on his horse in battle even, prowling through the dark forests early in the morning, stealthily looking for game, watching Daddy make his kill so he can imitate daddy himself when the time comes...so Alexander as a child learns early all the pitfalls of the life of a soldier/leader/king.

So my version of Alexander would certainly never make him appear childlike even in his adolescence, but my book is yet to be produced as I keep altering it all the time, but for children, I want them to know how Alexander learned his Greek Alphabet, to read and write, to excell in sports, as he is a born natural in athletics, and all the tests that were put to him. He would never end up becoming the sorry person that Roberts is trying to instill into the minds of teenagers.

But the book is interesting and amusing! HA!

I had to laugh at times! And in her style of writing, and theme of ghosts and things yes ithe ending is appropriate and very touching. I went with her on her ride, and liked Charm very much, but found her deviation from history to be annoying. Roxanne was 16 when they were married, and Plutarch and others say that they fell in love at first sight! So there you go...what can you do but write your own book. So I feel challenged still to do that...I am just giving you some idea of what I would write for children to know about Alexander too.

This made me interested in book! Is this book available from amazon? Because I know- it is just waste of time searchin in our libraries...
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Sandra wrote:This made me interested in book! Is this book available from amazon? Because I know- it is just waste of time searchin in our libraries...
Yes. It must be, because it's been sitting on my wish list for about 3 months.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

WAR CRIES

Post by jan »

First, thanks, Sikander, for the interesting insight into war cries as they were very prominent in the American Indians attempts to frighten pioneers as well. And second, yes, Vergina sun, I believe it is the National Geographic, and I am still going to make certain of that by viewing it again tonight, and will confirm it. But I do believe that that is the dvd where one can see Robin Lane Fox do his darndest to imitate the yell.

I think it is National Geographic because I chose to buy it instead of the History Channel's version which does have Peter Green on it. I saw the History Channel's version on t.v. and while I have purchased a lot of dvd's about Alexander, I decided upon the NG version.

Those are the only two dvd's I know right off hand that have and use professors in the films.

Now, Marcus, when are you going to be filmed for a dvd so we can see you too? Eh?

Vergina Sun

Re: WAR CRIES

Post by Vergina Sun »

jan wrote:First, thanks, Sikander, for the interesting insight into war cries as they were very prominent in the American Indians attempts to frighten pioneers as well. And second, yes, Vergina sun, I believe it is the National Geographic, and I am still going to make certain of that by viewing it again tonight, and will confirm it. But I do believe that that is the dvd where one can see Robin Lane Fox do his darndest to imitate the yell.

I think it is National Geographic because I chose to buy it instead of the History Channel's version which does have Peter Green on it. I saw the History Channel's version on t.v. and while I have purchased a lot of dvd's about Alexander, I decided upon the NG version.

Those are the only two dvd's I know right off hand that have and use professors in the films.

Now, Marcus, when are you going to be filmed for a dvd so we can see you too? Eh?

It certainly was the National Geographic one. I just watched it, and must admit I jumped when he started screaming. Maybe it wasn't as good as a real war cry, but it gave me a good laugh. :D
Petros

Who would I be?

Post by Petros »

Oh, just a spear carrying foot soldier taking a - break - wondering where the ___ the Agios (Alexander) would take us off to next...;)