Alexander the tourist

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

Alexander the tourist

Post by dean »

Hello,

Just checking up on the forum and very pleased that the glitch has been sorted and that it is back up and running. Glad to see that my favorite forum is here again.

For some reason I was just thinking that it is amazing when you think about it, what a tourist Alexander was.
I mean what a life!!!
In his lifetime, he saw, Ancient Greece- Ancient Egypt- Persepolis- Susa- the hanging gardens of Babylon- the Hindu Kush- India- others? he may have only lived a short life but he certainly did get around!!!!
Beating the most enthusiastic tourist even by today's standards.

Well, just thinking
Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Nice to see Pothos back

Post by marcus »

dean wrote:Just checking up on the forum and very pleased that the glitch has been sorted and that it is back up and running. Glad to see that my favorite forum is here again.

For some reason I was just thinking that it is amazing when you think about it, what a tourist Alexander was.
I mean what a life!!!
In his lifetime, he saw, Ancient Greece- Ancient Egypt- Persepolis- Susa- the hanging gardens of Babylon- the Hindu Kush- India- others? he may have only lived a short life but he certainly did get around!!!!
Yes, I felt rather bereft this weekend - I was ill, with end-of-term lurgy, and all I wanted was some comfort from Pothos ... and that was denied to me.

As for Alexander's travelling ... if only the rest of us had the time, and the money, to do as much travel as he did! Admittedly, I'd rather do it without having to fight quite so many battles; and usually passport control and the correct visas can remove the need for a protracted siege ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Archange

Post by Archange »

I mean what a life!!!

I'm suprised! You are joking, Don't forget that he pay for his life to have visited such many countries, It is amazing to say that he had great chance to conquest so many countries, It was not a pleasure for him and for his army. Put yourself on the place of Alexander himself and imagine you must realize your dreams and beat yourself (in the mind) to see what's" behind". I think Alexander did not enjoy his travels and the women he can have (he was attached to his mother and to his homecountry). It's certain that if Alexander had a choice and if the T.V exist at this time he would probably go back look some documentaries on National Geographic and That's all.

Best regards.

Archange.
Do you arrive to the gange river?
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Reply

Post by amyntoros »

Archange wrote:It's certain that if Alexander had a choice and if the T.V exist at this time he would probably go back look some documentaries on National Geographic and That's all.
So you think if Alexander had had an opportunity to see visuals of Persia, Bactria, India, etc. (on TV) he would never have wanted to conquer those regions? That is a most unusual assessment of Alexander's character and purpose. I'm obviously in disagreement, but am a little too dumbfounded to compose an argument . . .

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Pig's ......

Post by Paralus »

Archange wrote: I'm suprised! You are joking, Don't forget that he pay for his life to have visited such many countries, It is amazing to say that he had great chance to conquest so many countries, It was not a pleasure for him and for his army.
It's Christmas. Therein lays the explanation Amyntoros. As the Pythons would say: "tis time for silly posts!"

I imagine, Archange, that meant that he paid with his life (or nearly did) to visit so many countries? Well yes, he came near to death on more than one occasion but he will have had it no other way. In the end one suspects that aside from the toll of wounds it was, like his life partner Hepaheastion, one more unnecessary alcohol binge that tipped him out.

One of the very clear things that comes through propaganda and gloss of the conquest was the man's love for the next battle; the next horizon over which there existed an, as yet, unconquered people.

I'm certain it was for the greater part – especially the Hindu Kush and the Makran – no pleasure for his army. They certainly let him know at the Beas if the source's retailing of the event is anything to go by. What was Alexander's response? Bugger you lpt! I'm going anyway. He, apparently, didn't add how much he loathed and detested having to go on, for the greater glory of the Greeks and all things culturally Hellenic, of course.
Archange wrote:It's certain that if Alexander had a choice and if the T.V exist at this time he would probably go back look some documentaries on National Geographic and That's all.
This most likely isn't appropriate in such a well mannered forum, but the only appropriate response to that observation is a classic Australian pig's arse! But then, I'm certain it was meant to be taken in such fashion.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Depends on the documentary.If it was about the seals , i cant imagine him watching that.Except if he wanted to relax between battles. But if it was about lions and stuff, then maybe he would be more interested :)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Efstathios wrote: But if it was about lions and stuff, then maybe he would be more interested
No Efstathios, I don't think so. You see the Serengeti, although hugely populated by wildebeests and other wildlife, was sparpsely populated by people awaiting the loss of their liberty.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
jan
Strategos (general)

And all on hoof or foot!

Post by jan »

:) I actually liked this thought, of the way that Alexander traveled, with so little in the way of finances initially, only to have to fight and scrape for it all along the way, and even to burn baggage and excess to travel more lightly. Very fascinating to consider, so thanks, Dean. Way to go. Let's film it!
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: And all on hoof or foot!

Post by marcus »

jan wrote::) I actually liked this thought, of the way that Alexander traveled, with so little in the way of finances initially, only to have to fight and scrape for it all along the way, and even to burn baggage and excess to travel more lightly. Very fascinating to consider, so thanks, Dean. Way to go. Let's film it!
Alexander with a backpack, following the hippy trail to India ... yep, I can visualise it. :lol:
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
athenas owl
Hetairos (companion)

Post by athenas owl »

:lol: :lol: Alrighty, this brought me out of lurk mode. Alexander on the hippie trail with granny glasses.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

athenas owl wrote: :lol: :lol: Alrighty, this brought me out of lurk mode. Alexander on the hippie trail with granny glasses.
:shock: :lol:
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
pankration
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Alexander the Great Tourist

Post by pankration »

Could he have gotten farther if he had used Travelocity? :lol:
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

I guess Alexander was a tourist. But its gotta be said that some regions were not to keep on Alexanders type of tourism.

kenny