First to refer to Alexander as "the Great?"

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

First to refer to Alexander as "the Great?"

Post by rocktupac »

I'm new to the boards and have done my best to find the answer, but I was wondering if anyone knew who the first person in antiquity to refer to Alexander as "the Great?" Thanks.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hi Rocktupac and welcome to Pothos! :)

This question has come up before, although it was quite a while ago. You should be able to read the thread using the following link:

http://www.pothos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=19165#19165

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Hail I remember something pretty Recently with reference to Alexander and funnily enough it was a snippet in a British Tabloid. It was connected with a friendly or maybe a European Football Quilifier. It was an England game playing against the Greeks. :lol:

Any way the piece was kinda reflective. The Greeks were getting references as players. IE Achiles up Front. Leonidas Midfield. Jason Midfield.Xenophon Right Wing etc. It was an attempt to show Englands football fans some of the Great Greek names. Anyway the Trainer Manager was Aristotle. :D

He was kind of been interviewed. He said" if you think this Team Is good, I got a new kid comming up whos gonna be simply Great. Hes a youngster called Alexander"

Kenny