Book about the diadochies

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Yauna

Book about the diadochies

Post by Yauna »

Hello

I-¦m a newbye here. I have read very much on this forum and you guys impressed me very much because your high historical knowledge. Thanks for this forum, it-¦s very interesting for me.

ATG has always been a myth for me but there-¦s something that seems even more interesting for me and that-¦s the diadochi-¦s wars and their kingdom creation.

ATG did his war against Persians and was a "God" so it-¦s very diferent. Diadochies fight was between brothers, and many macedonian generals I asume were mediocre but had a chance. For exemple was Seleucus so good or just a lucky man?

As I want to know more about them can you please advise me about a good book about diadochies. As I-¦m spanish perhaps Dean can help a bit more.

Thanks agains for this forum
Madog

Post by Madog »

Hi !

I don't have much books about this era, but maybe you could go check out 'The Hellenistic World' by F.W Walbank, published by Fontana Press.

Although this book is not specifically about the wars of the successors, it does have a few chapters about the warfare of the period, including the wars between the Romans and the Seleucids. The only problem is that the book does not go into much detail and I thought it was a bit to complicated sometimes.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Book about the diadochies

Post by marcus »

Hi Yauna,
Yauna wrote: ATG has always been a myth for me but there-¦s something that seems even more interesting for me and that-¦s the diadochi-¦s wars and their kingdom creation.

ATG did his war against Persians and was a "God" so it-¦s very diferent. Diadochies fight was between brothers, and many macedonian generals I asume were mediocre but had a chance. For exemple was Seleucus so good or just a lucky man?

As I want to know more about them can you please advise me about a good book about diadochies. As I-¦m spanish perhaps Dean can help a bit more.
I can only suggest books in English, unfortunately, but your English seems fine so if you're happy reading in English ...

Madog's suggestion of the Walbank book is good. There's also a good book by Cary, which I think is "The Greek World 323-146BC". Another which is OK, but quite difficult to get, is Kincaid's "Successors of Alexander the Great".

Paralus will probably agree, also, that if you can find Peter Green's "Alexander to Actium", it has an excellent overview of the Successor wars. It's a huge book, but very good.

I'm sure others can suggest more books.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:Paralus will probably agree, also, that if you can find Peter Green's "Alexander to Actium", it has an excellent overview of the Successor wars. It's a huge book, but very good.
You know me Marcus, never one to disagree! Green's book does a good job of the Successor wars. If I have one bone to pick, it is the almost passing treatment of the first Diadoch war: Antigonus and Eumenes. this really sets the scene for the dynastic and political bastardry that would follow.

I would add Bosworth's The legacy of Alexander: Politics, Warfare and Propaganda under the Successors. This in an indispensible introduction the era of the Dynasts or the Diadochoi.

Bosworth states in his preface that this is a sampler of a larger work devoted to the history of the Diadochoi and their kingdoms that he is currently writing. Needless to say, Paralus awaits this with all the patience of a child in a toy store tugging on mum's arm.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote: I would add Bosworth's The legacy of Alexander: Politics, Warfare and Propaganda under the Successors. This in an indispensible introduction the era of the Dynasts or the Diadochoi.

Bosworth states in his preface that this is a sampler of a larger work devoted to the history of the Diadochoi and their kingdoms that he is currently writing. Needless to say, Paralus awaits this with all the patience of a child in a toy store tugging on mum's arm.
I still haven't read "Legacy" (which is why I didn't recommend it - although I was sure you would! :) ). But I can't abide the idea of *not* having an existing Bosworth book on my shelf, so I fear a counting out of pennies will be in order soon. I still have to get his commentaries on Arrian - but at the prices they seem to be asking at the moment, those might have to wait for some time!

I know that feeling of impatience all to well ... :P

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

marcus wrote:[I still haven't read "Legacy" (which is why I didn't recommend it - although I was sure you would! :) ). But I can't abide the idea of *not* having an existing Bosworth book on my shelf, so I fear a counting out of pennies will be in order soon. I still have to get his commentaries on Arrian - but at the prices they seem to be asking at the moment, those might have to wait for some time!
If there's one thing I've "sorted" (as the poms would say) over the last two years or so, it's that one should not worry about the pennies so much. Life is not ever long enough and - as my mother once said - you're always healthy 'till the day you find out it's over.

It's why the telescope - the going on ten year old is interested (and so am I), so do it. It's why I buy the books I like to read, why the damn near second mortgage that runs my Abbeys account (the Sydney book store). I spend way too much nervous energy in the business to do without my book fix. Don Henley put it much better:

In a new york minute
Everything can change
In a new york minute
Things can get a little strange
In a new york minute
Everything can change
In a new york minute
And in these days
When darkness falls early
And people rush home
To the ones they love
You better take a fools advice
And take care of your own
One day they're here;
Next day they're gone

Go buy the book ,if it's feasible, Marcus. The Paralus philosophy lesson ends
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Some other good books on the period are Billows' 'Antigonos the One-eyed and the Creation of the a Hellenistic Kingdom', which is a full and scholarly treatment of this important successor, Helen Lund's 'Lysimachus' is also good although I felt it a little unfocussed on first reading, that is probably more a side effect of my own affinity for the crotchety old sod, I have not read Grainger's 'Seleukos Nikator' so cannot comment.
A fine if old treatment of the period in general is Cloche's 'Dislocation D'une Empire' which is soundly grounded on the sources but is only available in French. I endorse Paralus' recommendation of Bosworth's book although there do seem to be a fair few typos and I cannot agree with all of his conclusions he does, as always, present his cases cogently and with full references.
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,

I enjoyed "Alexander and the Hellenistic age"- by Jeremy Mcinerney.
It gave you a general overview of Hellenistic culture and went through the wars after Alexander's death.

There wasn't too much detail as I am sure would be found in Bosworth but nevetheless it made for interesting reading fora relative newcomer as myself, to the Diadochi.

Anyway, welcome!!!! :D

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
Yauna

Post by Yauna »

Hi all

Just as I hoped you gave me so much information that I can hardly digest it :P . You-¦re all great, thanks very much.

My deep wish was that nearly all of you have same favourite book about, and so taking it easier, nevertheless I-¦ll try to find one of your suggestions.

Thanks a lot.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

agesilaos wrote: I endorse Paralus' recommendation of Bosworth's book although there do seem to be a fair few typos and I cannot agree with all of his conclusions he does, as always, present his cases cogently and with full references.
G'day Agesilaos.

It's a great little book. Decent editorial work will have taken care of the typos but you can't always get good help these days - as Amyntoros' fun with my plutonic so well illustrates!.

Without going into chapter and verse (pardon the pun) I'd be most interested to hear your view on one or maybe two of those disputed conclusions. The re-dating based on the Babylonian Chronicle perhaps?

The excellent chapters on Macedonian army numbers, the first war in Iran and Hieronymus - when viewed in the context that this ("Legacy") is a "prelude to the larger work" ("a full historical coverage of the half century after Alexander") - are apt to turn one (myself at least) into that child in the back seat constantly whining "are we there yet?".
Last edited by Paralus on Sun Jul 23, 2006 3:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus

Academia.edu
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Yo, Paralus
There were several things but one that sticks in the mind and would be suitably discussed on this forum is the question of just who were Eumenes' hypaspists? Old AB is mighty proud of his contention that they were Asiatic but I remained unconvinced. I shall review his case and then post on the subject it is sort of Posthosian even if only in the same way that Austria is German.

His interpretation of Antipater's position was a point too but that is covered in the 'summons to Babylon' thread and doesn't detract from his main analysis, as usual all these disagreements could be called quibbles but what the hey.

Another book I forgot to mention was Garoufalias' 'Pyrrhus of Epirus' and on the lighter side two novels, 'Funeral Games' by Renault and Alfred Duggan's 'Elephants and Castles' the latter treating the career of Demetrios Poliorcetes. Chaire
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

agesilaos wrote:There were several things but one that sticks in the mind and would be suitably discussed on this forum is the question of just who were Eumenes' hypaspists? Old AB is mighty proud of his contention that they were Asiatic but I remained unconvinced. I shall review his case and then post on the subject it is sort of Posthosian even if only in the same way that Austria is German.
Yo right back at ya!

Starting to sound like Kelly's Heroes - thought I was one of the few left throwing that "greeting" around!

Look forward to reading it. It ties in with AB's assessment of Macedonian numbers operating at the time of Alexander's death - an analysis I found pretty convincing.

Time for bed methinks....
Paralus

Academia.edu