Luck And Genius?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Luck And Genius?

Post by kennyxx »

Over a few weeks of watching war and tactics and other quite interesting documentaries. I continually come acroos the two opposites or even two sides to the same coin. Some detractors say Alexander had a lot of luck and situation suited him and some situations may make his achievements seem greater than they are.

We forever hear about the decline of the Persain army and its readyness to be taken by a commander with the right army. We forever hear about the tools of the Macedonian war machine that Alexander indeed inherited from his father. Maybe so but its always in my opinion the way a craftsmen weilds these tools and adapts them.

Prior to Issus I doubt Parmenio and his croneys maybe even Philip would have been confident of victory learning the Persian forces were at his rear. I guess it was Alexanders seemingly bad luck that made the Persians appear in his rear and line of communications. Alexander had bad luck entering the Persian gates and nearly came unstuck. And indeed it was bad luck crossing the Hydaspes and realising you had only reached an Island in between.

Maybe Alexander did have some luck he alao had bad luck and changed it round. Therefore was Alexander a lucky General. And to say the Persians were week at that time it was the biggest wealthiest and most powerful Empire out there.

With this Luck and Genius I really like a quote from Napoleon it says something like.

"Jelous men call Genius Luck" I guess I agree.

Kenny
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello,

Yes it is very true- Alexander did have his back up against the wall on a number of occasions- you mentioned the Persian gates and that is one place where all hell got let loose kinda reminisent of Thermopolyae. But he seems to have had a nice knack of dealing with it and finding a way out- asking a shepherd of all people. other generals would have not gone on and tried to find a solution. :idea: I think that the Macedonian mentality was in a different ball park compared to the Spartan- in terms of flexibility and adaptation to the circumstances- like Hannibal said,"if there isn't a way, then we will make one" as he proved taking elephants over the alps- Alexander believed, I think, in the same axiom.

Best wishes,
Dean
carpe diem
Madog

Post by Madog »

Alexander was definately a military genius who managed to turn a few bad situations to his advantage, but i would also say it was pure luck that he managed to survive many situations such as being attacked by several Persians at Granicus or the arrow through the lung at the siege of Multan.
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kennyxx »

Maddog

Napoleon Once said Genius made their own luck. An I think Alexander had it off to a fine art.

kenny