Hephaetion and Alexender deaths

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

flash

Hephaetion and Alexender deaths

Post by flash »

If someone wanted to take over alexander's empire they first would have to consider would they be the successor, or maybe able to control that successor.Lets say ATG died first, and everyone knew it was H who ATG would have wanted to succeed him. This would leave the killer(s) with another alexander type to carry on, and now to kill him would mean two macedonian kings dying in the field within a year of each other, this would arose suspicion so H would have to go first. After H then of course ATG himself. I find it strange that both died within a year of each other, died of a fever, and the order in which they died. Who would you think was behind it if it were true?
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Hephaetion and Alexender deaths

Post by kenny »

Ron HailA very near and valid point. I brought that up before and some argument against there been a link was that it was months apart.Both deaths are lets say mysterious to say the least and been credited to some west nile virus. This illnes was so letahl as ir was selective. Ok some argue that other less significant deaths wopuldnt get a mention in the sources but I feel were it a virus then there would be hundreds of deaths dont forget by the time Alexander was campaigning further east there were around 150 000 people with him and surely this so called mystery ilness would take enough to warrant a mention.I have always argued That Alexander was taken out by the higher ranks to save there own nest eggs and areas they had control. The Line in the movie was very goofd from Ptolemy. To be pensioned off or discarded at a later time.Alexander was about change and cghange was indeed in the to save what we would call the Status Quo.taht suited them was to get rid of Alexander and to be more sure to get rid of a guy that who just may continue his policy.RegardsKenny
flash

Post by flash »

oh yeah kenny for sure. I think as most do it was Cassander, he hated ATG so since before he through him againt the wall, and almost strangled him! Cassander was in Pella at the center, he might have figured the diochi would kill each other, which they did, and he then could tighted his grip on the mother land and take the whole shooin match as they say.
elpinice

Post by elpinice »

Rah,That is incredibly interesting, but surely, if Alexander loved Hephaestion as much as the sources suggest, he would have been weakened by his death, and thus more susceptible to fever. My gut feeling is that Alexander was murdered, but maybe I just can't take having somebody who did such amazing things die so simply. I don't think that one can claim the months separation between the two deaths as evidence against murder, as somebody smart enough to kill Hephaestion first would be smart enough not to kill Alexander immediately afterwards - when Alexander would be more suspicious. Even if one was successful in the murder, the conclusion that the two men were murdered would be quickly drawn by Alexander's supporters.Elpi
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail BrothersI agree whole heartedly with your statements. However I have a problem with the idea Alexander was of a weakened state of mind and health.At 32 I believe was no age as his tougherst and best soldiers were well over 50 and tough as lions so that doesnt wash. Also his grief I am sure he grieved but it didnt bury him. he was busy organising and gettinr ready for Arabia and the west.Im sure further bigger conquests were just what he needed to ovewr come the grief.I always maintained it was Cassander and his links responsible for Alexanders death but I am more than sure hardly any of his so called friends were sorry to see him go.A final point its often discarded the poison because it took him so long to die. Well maybe the guy was strong enough and really wanted to live to fight it for that long.Hepheastion seemed to recover then he relapsed and died. So I do believe in poisoning and the day Andrew Chugg can find his body I am positive traces of some toxic potions will be found in his body.Hail Brothers of The Sword.Ron I guess I apologise for my remarks following your other post. I guess I shot off and found them a little silly.Kenny
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

For anyone on this site who cares to know, I have posted a message on the Oliver Stone website about a recent experience with the death of Hephaestion. I have a certain respect for Oliver Stone's website to feel free to post there, and so that will be the only place on the web where I have given details as I learned of them.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Sorry I did not post a link. It is http://www.oscarworld.net/ostone.
elentari

Post by elentari »

Let me tell you the truth about their deaths.Both of them have been part of a conspiracy,made by Alexander's"friends".They were killed.KILLED!Clear?
Don't ask,you have here the best source for Alexander's life and death-his wife.Me!
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Oh dear.
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Linda Hail Oh dearMost definately agree he was murdered but. Im afrain no reincarnations.Kenny
Nax

Post by Nax »

Ohhhh great first we hafta listen to the drabble of J now its the rantings of roxane?!!??Wish these people would take their meds in the morning. Spare me
elpinice

Post by elpinice »

I don't know... I think it could be quite amusing at times. And she must surely realise that nobody will read her posts.
"Always look on the bright side of life..." lol.Elpi
jay

Post by jay »

Thank you so much for the laugh, Nax! I was nearly doubled over after reading your comments...largely because I know which 'J' you're referring to! (J is always good for a laugh!)