why India not Arabia

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Ryan

why India not Arabia

Post by Ryan »

Why did alexander attempt to conquer india instead of arabia ?
___Ryan___
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: why India not Arabia

Post by marcus »

Hi Ryan,Alexander was planning an expedition to Arabia when he died. He went to India first, for two main reasons. First, it was closest to where he was in Bactria/Sogdia - his pursuit of Darius had taken him close to Bactria, then his pursuit of Bessus took him *into* Bactria. Second, India had already been associated with the Persian empire - for a time part of the land had been within the empire; so for Alexander it was something he had to do - to complete his conquest of the empire, but also to conquer *more* than the Persians had done.Of course, he only conquered a very tiny part of India, and once he was dead it very quickly reverted to independence.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Deleted
Last edited by beausefaless on Thu Nov 01, 2007 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Hail Compliments I think Marcus and Andrew got it right.As said India was part of the Persian Empire and its conquest to the outer ocean was his goal. Until he got it wropng and wanted to go further.Once consolidated I am more than sure Arabia would have been a walk in the park as I am unaware of any Military force throughout history to stop him.I also think Rome would be easy as by Alexanders time Rome wasnt the military power it was to become.On a second thought. I believe Alexander was that rich in gold and resources he could actually fund world conquest without actually been there.To start with Alexander had an army of no more than 50000 and at the end his manpower resources was numberless.He could have bankroilled a massive force under a commander to take Arabia andanother in the west as he sat as master of the world where he would decide to make capital. And if these forces struggles as one of his armies was wiped out in india by Spitamenese then hed take a hand himself.But we knoe Alexander wasntr a sit at home general he would be at the front. I just wonder if he would stay focused. Eventually the guy would have to ease on the brakes.Kenny
Ryan

Post by Ryan »

Thank u Marcus for the quick reply as i am eager to find and understand more on Alexander . Who i have just began to research
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Hi Kenny,
I don't think he would have trusted someone to take Arabia after the satrapal purges. Unless it was one from his inner circle. In addition, he very likely wanted to conquer it himself. Clearly, he loved the action and the glory. later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
elentari

Post by elentari »

It is a strange question if you know that in those times the world wasn't well known.The reason-he walked mostly on the paths of Darius.
Nax

Post by Nax »

Honey, it was known to the people LIVING in it.
Get a grip, darlin' there was more trade and cross cultural movement than you seem to be aware. But maybe that's cuz the mountains of Bactria and Sogdiana were hard for you to get out of LOL