sacrifices

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

sacrifices

Post by ruthaki »

Sorry to bug with with these incidental questions but I'm trying to keep my facts straight:
Before an Assembly, which god would the Macedonians sacrifice to? (or before making a major decision)
Link

Re: sacrifices

Post by Link »

As commanders of triremes were appointed, from the Macedonians, Hephaestion son of Amyntor, and Leonnatus son of Eunous, Lysimachus son of Agathocles, and Asclepiodorus son of Timander, and Archon son of Cleinias, and Demonicus son of Athenaeus, Archias son of Anaxidotus, Ophellas son of Seilenus, Timanthes son of Pantiades; all these were of Pella. From Amphipolis these were appointed officers: Nearchus son of Androtimus, who wrote the account of the voyage; and Laomedon son of Larichus, and Androsthenes son of Callistratus; and from Orestis. Craterus son of Alexander, and Perdiccas son of Orontes. Of Eordaea, Ptolemaeus son of Lagos and Aristonous son of Peisaeus; from Pydna, Metron son of Epicharmus and Nicarchides son of Simus. Then besides, Attalus son of Andromenes, of Stympha Peucestas son of Alexander, from Mieza; Peithon son of Crateuas, of Alcomenae; Leonnatus son of Antipater, of Aegae; Pantauchus son of Nicolaus, of Aloris; Mylleas son of Zoilus, of Beroea; all these being Macedonians. Of Greeks, Medius son of Oxynthemis, of Larisa; Eumenes son of Hieronymus, from Cardia; Critobulus, son of Plato, of Cos; Thoas son of Menodorus, and Maeander, son of Mandrogenes, of Magnesia; Andron son of Cabeleus, of Teos; of Cyprians, Nicocles son of Pasicrates, of Soh; and Nithaphon son of Pnytagoras, of Salamis. Alexander appointed also a Persian trierarch, Bagoas son of Pharnuces; but of Alexander's own ship the helmsman was Onesicritus of Astypalaea; and the accountant of the whole fleet was Euagoras son of Eucleon, of Corinth. As admiral was appointed Nearchus, son of Androtimus, Cretan by race, and he lived. in Amphipolis on the Strymon. And when Alexander had made all these dispositions, he sacrificed to the gods, both the gods of his race and all of whom the prophets had warned him, and to Poseidon and Amphitrite and the Nereids and to Ocean himself and to the river Hydaspes, whence he started, and to the Acesines, into which the Hydaspes runs, and to the Indus, into which both run; and he instituted contests of art and of athletics, and victims for sacrifice were given to all the army, according to their detachments.
Link

Post by Link »

That should be ZA-KRF-ICES. In the modern Macedonian language it still means "A BLOODING".Cheers!OLD MACEDONIANGLISH Koen iyas sam gnayan aza to shwo iyasWhen i's am knowan as to what i's vizden aza tia gorosali gramatik rekoi odviewed as the colossal gramatik reckons ofMakedonsi histori, verieve moy velot sestra,Makedon's history, believe my word sister,brator, keyull gnayall totalno onadto shwo iyas brother, you'll knowall totally on to what i's vidu aza chisto voda. viewed as chaste water.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

OK I'll be more specific because the posting by Pella didn't really make much sense to me. Thanks anyway. Specifically, if Polyperchon were to make a sacrifice before calling an Assembly (at the time he was planning to make his edict to the Greeks) who would he sacrifice to? Herakles? Zeus? Thanks in advance.
ancientlibrary
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Please remove this post

Post by ancientlibrary »

Can we please remove these posts? They are pure ethnic propaganda, and I am getting very tired of them. They also violate posted rules. If I wanted to hang out with illiterate biggots, I would be at stormfront.com.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks Tim, my exact sentiments. I asked a direct question I didn't expect a bunch of propoganda in return.
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Hi Ruth,My guess is that they would make the sacrifice, to the God that corresponded to the occasion. So it would be e.g. Demeter for harvesting or an agricultural event in general etc.
When it comes to an assembly, I would say that they would have sacrificed to Zeus, especially to Zeus Soter. The most important temple in Pella was for Zeus Soter and it's emblem was the eagle - Zeus' bird- so you might want to squeeze that too in your novel! :-)
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I agree with Yiannis, as I think they would always have chosen the most appropriate god for the occasion. I expect that for the sort of assembly you're talking about, Ruth, they might have sacrificed also to Athena, and possibly to Apollo - they didn't have to limit themselves to just one god, and there were so many different aspects of each that a 'divine collective' was probably appropriate in most cases! :-)ATBMarcusPS: Pela's first message was taken from either Arrian Bk V, or Indica, when he's describing the appointment of the trierarchs of the fleet at the Hydaspes. But you're right - it didn't answer your question, and the follow up was pointless.
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
stavros

please dont remove this post

Post by stavros »

so everyone can keep reading this rubbish.sacrifice: Middle English, from Old French, from Latin sacrificium : sacer, sacred; see sacred + facere, to make; see dh- in Indo-European Roots.]
stavros

re:sacrifice

Post by stavros »

posted on this website a while ago. response to one of my posts.My family descends from the Sar Mountain range, currently found within the country FYROM. I'd like to point out to many of you, that when you say modern Macedonian is really comprised of Bulgarians, you're not exactly correct. Yes, today's "Macedonian" language is Slavic, but there are various dialects. For example, for those of us in the North and Northeast (Tetovo, Skopje and Kumanovo), our language is closer to Serbian, in fact, better to say "Old Serbian". I've discussed this matter with the linguist at NYU in New York City and he has studied the language in North Macedonia and says it is almost identical to the language spoken by Tsar Dusan in the 14th century (Great Serbian King). While I agree with many of you, that modern Macedonia is "chalk full o' Bulgarians", they are not the exclusive "Slavs" in the region. Many of us are Serbs, know that we are Serbs and reject any and all notions of a "modern Macedonia". You see, what the communists did in Yugoslavia was very interesting. They wanted to weaken the Serbian majority. One of the things which happened in areas like the Sar region is that families which are Serbian, had Serbian roots, Serbian blood lines and most importantly, Serbian names, were FORCED by the goverment to change their names and begin a "modern Macedonian" education. So, in Mr. Najdovski's case, his family name would have probably been something like Najdic or Najdov (if Bulgarian) and the government forced his family to change it to Najdovski.Simultaneously, the FICTIONAL republic of Macedonia was created, along with the fictional language. Over time, many Serbs (in the North) actually started to tow the government line and now, in the North, many Serbian families actually call themselves "Macedonian". Despicable, yes, but true.Let me give you a quick story about my wife. Her maiden name was "Stojanovski". On a trip "back home", I did some investigating and found government land and birth records, which proved her Grandfather's last name was Stojanovic (Serbian) in 1944. After 1951, every record indicated his name was changed to "Stojanovski".know thats Macedonianglish, clearly!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Ruth, Wow? What a discussion. I would believe that the answer to your question is Zeus. But I also believe that you as an author have literary license to impose your own decision. It is your work finally. Much good luck. But I will confide to you that I have seen the twelve altars in my harkening back to the past, and that the Zeus altar is the main altar! It is magnificent.
Kit
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Kit »

I agree. It would have depended on what they were hoping for from the Gods. If it was prior to a sea voyage then Poseidon would be an obvious bet to ensure a safe journey, or even one of the wind gods (Boreas- God of the North Wind, believed to reside in Thrace and to have aided the Greek cause during the Persian Wars by damaging the Persian Fleet!)? Before a battle maybe Ares (and his children- little Phobos and Deimos!) etc.Due regard would also have to be given to local gods. Ah, so many gods, so little time!regards,Kit
Kit

Forever to seek, to strive, to overcome.
xxx

Post by xxx »

And of course let us not get Heckate and her dogs the purification ritual.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks so much to everyone. In particular, thanks Yiannis for pointing out that Zeus Soter was the main temple in Pella. I somehow didn't know that. And yes, the eagle does figure in my novel, not only in connection with the Macedonians, but also the eagle-winged god Ahura of the Persians.
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Hi Yiannis,
'The most important temple in Pella was for Zeus Soter and it's emblem was the eagle' - I've been looking everywhere for the existance of temples at Pella but have had little success :(Can I ask where you got this information from?many thanks!