Saying goodbye

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jona
Hetairos (companion)

Saying goodbye

Post by jona »

Dear friends,As you may have learned from my posts, in the last six months, my book has been finished, printed, published, reviewed, sold, and reprinted. For me, Alexander is increasingly moving to the background and I will embark upon a new project: a book about the Roman legions. Not about tactics and weapons and so, but about the history of these units. See http://www.livius.org/le-lh/legio/legions.htm for an impression.I have always enjoyed being here, even when my remarks caused criticism. But my interests are changing, so I am cordially saying goodbye to all of you, and I say "thank you" for all the nice discussions. It has been a marvellous time.Jona
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: Saying goodbye

Post by jan »

Well, Jona, that is very nice of you to let us know of your new interest. I am very much interested in your book and hope to read it when it is available. I enjoyed your contributions to this discussion group, especially all the links to your website. I was impressed with your work on the Tower of Babel, as I appreciate your providing the links. From now, I will have to remember just to find your site all by myself. Much good luck with your new project!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Thanks so much and I'll keep looking at your website. Good luck with your new interests.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

adios jonaall the best with your studies of Rome I hope you may be a little more cordial and forgiving of the Romans,,, But I doubt it.In comparisons to the Romans and the way they carried on Alexander would seem saint like.It was always interesting to jostle Jona ,no hard feelings we are what we are and have our passions.Kenny
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Hi Jona,Sorry to see you disappear from Pothos. Whether or not everyone always agreed with you, your insights on the 'other' sources have always been very useful and interesting.I hope you'll still 'drop by' from time to time - surely you can't have *completely* lost interest in Alexander? :-)All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Ariadne

Post by Ariadne »

Goodbye and thanks for all your post !Maybe we'll read you here time to time ?Ariadne
Nax

Post by Nax »

Hey, wouldn't it be cool if authors listed Pothos as a source? I mean, it makes ya wonder how many come here and get good info, or get more focused through discussions, or get more detailed info that they didn't have, etc and then write it into their books and stories.. so Pothos could start appearing in their
bibliographies or thanks!!! Cool!!!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

One or two already do quote Pothos in their bibliographies. I know of at least two occasions where we've been plugged (in fact, Paul Cartledge has given Pothos a plug in at least three different places so far - his own book, an article in 'History Today' a few months ago, and at the end of a piece on the BBC History website).
HAving said that, they'll only do that if we continue to provide good information, discussion, arguments, etc., and make one and all welcome, whatever their views on Alexander.All the best
Marcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ancientlibrary
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Terrible news

Post by ancientlibrary »

Say it ain't so Joe. Say it ain't so..You'll be missed..Tim
heinrich

Post by heinrich »

Good luck dear Jona. Your new project sounds great.
No oriental sources this time, pity.HM
abm

Post by abm »

This is a very interesting new project. The best of luck in all your further endeavours.
heinrich

Post by heinrich »

Jona is one of the authors who says "thank you" to Pothos.HM
smittysmitty
Hetairos (companion)

Post by smittysmitty »

Bye Jona. It would be a shame if you did not pop bye from time to time, your pressence will be missed.
cheers!
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

That's good to hear - although I wouldn't have expected anything less from Jona! :-)CheersMarcus
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Even though you once called me "dear", I will be sorry to see you go....
but I bet you will be back, How could you resist us..?Seriously, it would be good to know of any photos etc from your travels. Maybe you could set up a blog, or rss feed?Take care.Linda