Movie-for fun

Post here about Alexander in film, TV, radio, other websites, YouTube etc.

Moderator: pothos moderators

lucian
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Movie-for fun

Post by lucian »

Alright, we all know the movie wasn't as great as we had hoped, BUT I know most of us at least has to have one scene that stands out as a personal favorite...so fess up.call me sappy, but I have to say two scenes, the one scene where Hephaistion says "you still hold your head cocked a little, like that" just cute. The other scene was Alexander's response to the persian princess, personally I thought that scene was great.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Movie-for fun

Post by marcus »

I liked both the scenes you mention.Two of the (many) favourites for me were:1. The taming of Bucephalus scene.
2. Philip's death scene, if only for the look on Olympias' face when she sees he's dead, and casts a snakelike, sideways glance at Eurydice and the baby ... 'cos we all know what's going through her mind. This scene alone took Angelina Jolie, for me, into the 'my god she can act' room.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Cyrus

Post by Cyrus »

I like these scenes: http://www.allempires.com/images/Alexmovie.JPG1.Darius gets away from Alexander's spear2.A Persian cat in Babylon Palace3.Bagoas (when Aexander sees him for the first time)4.Paying homage to the princess Statira5.Alexander's Smile (when princess Statira says "Everything I wish I have hmmm requested!")6.An Indian (When Roxane says to Alexander "In Persia you are a great king, here (India) they hate you!")
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

Philip, disbanding his bodyguard and saying that he wants to feel and show that the people love him - and the viewer who already knows that he will be killed. Supreme irony.The beginning of the Indian battle: Macedonian soldiers looking into the forest, seeing no enemy, but hearing them. Maybe Stone's Vietnam trauma helped him create incredible tension?Jona
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

I just thought the whole of the Philip death scene was great - and I was particularly thrilled to see him limping along that passageway.M
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
kate

Post by kate »

Hi everyone,I like all the scenes mentioned so far. My personal favourite is the taming of Bucephalus, it just felt so real! I also really liked the entrance into Babylon, probably because it made me think that Alexander must have been so happy on that day.Cheers,Kate
Jackal

Post by Jackal »

The movie was as great as I hoped, actually.Favorite scenes:1. Alexander and Philip in the cave.2. Alexander dying.3. Being carried wounded on Achilles' shield.4. Philip's death.5. Hephaestion giving the ring.
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Post by kenny »

Regards I liked.1/The music and momentum of the Battle and the little smirk and glee on Alexanders face when Bessus was tracking him.2/ Taming Bucephalus but would have been more effective following the boy on the horse at that time and Alexander as an adult at the end maybe running up and down his lines before Gaugamela.3/The distraught look in Alexander face when philip called him a bastard.4/ The most emotional for me was looking down on his loyal dead companion Bucephalus been held by Hepheastion.Kenny
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I loved the scenes with little Alexander and Olympias (and the drunken lout philip); there were many...after I'd seen it 3 times I kept watching each time for different things and liking it more every time. The battle close-ups of Alexander. Especially the horse/elephant were awesome. And entering Babylon! Yes!
heinrich

Post by heinrich »

The advance of the Macedonian troops to Gaugamela. I had never imagined what a phalanx would look like. And Roxane, dancing.HM
Jim Boudreaux

Post by Jim Boudreaux »

For me it was the moment of decision as Alexander is setting himself to go after Darius during the battle of Gaugamela and is notified that Parmenion is in need of his help. His Achilles based dreams of glory came face to face with his innate tactical genius and he paused, looked (as he must have at the Hyphasis River)into what could have been, and turned to do what he knew he must, but not what he wanted.
lucian

Post by lucian »

WOW, I completely forgot about the Olympias scene, that was AMAZING!!!!! it didn't take her 2 seconds before she looked at Euridike, that's how fast her mind was racing to secure the throne!!! it was a great scene, and very eery in a sense. I think Angelina did a great job, while Alexander lingered over the body of Philip, she pretty much played an Olympias who might have though "ah, he is dead, nothing I can do about that, moving ooooonnn.." it's almost funny creepy.
luisfc1972

Post by luisfc1972 »

Men of Macedon.......
we're going home.