Battlefield archaeology

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

Terratheon

Battlefield archaeology

Post by Terratheon »

Our knowledge of Alexanders campaign's and most ancient battles is rather fixed: the lost books of Ptolemy, Callisthenes, Polybius, Livy, and others are not likely to be recovered, and it seems there are only two remaining sources by which we might recover new tactical information on ancient battles. One of course is informed speculation based on our knowledge of topography and ancient tactics regarding how battles must have transpired in light of this knowledge. The other of course, is battlefield archeology. For example, I have been apprised various pieces of armor and weaponry were recovered from a hill on the Charonea battlefield, suggestive of the possibility much of the conflict occurred at that point. It appears one might be able to deduce on the grand tactics used during a battle if one recovered helmets, breastplates or wepons identified with specific units mentioned in the agent sources or which indicated whether or not the unit in question was cavalry, infantry or peltasts. Do any of you know of any publications offering systematic attempts to illuminate ancient battlefield tactics based on detailed archeological excavations? If you do, please post the information here. I would like to open up this to discussion.
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

:o
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

Off the top of my head I can only think of a couple - there's so much modern battlefield stuff, that it swamps the ancient stuff -but I'm sure there's more!

There's Fields of Conflict: Battlefied Archaeology from the Roman Empire to the Korean War, ed. Douglas Scott - but that doesn't help us!

Ancient Warfare: archaeological perspectives ed J Carman & AF Harding at least touches "our" period - except I think (hazy memory) that the chapter most likely to interest us is by Victor Davis Hanson... John Carman is a battlefield archaologist - currently at Birmingham - & has written quite a lot on the subject. He's also involved with the Bloody Meadows Project - one place they have investigated is Thermopylae - but I don't know if any publications have come of this (although I expect with the Research Assessment Exercise coming up for universities that something should be forthcoming)...

This probably doesn't help much, but at least it has prompted me to post after about a year of silence (but reading).
:)
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Battlefield archaeology

Post by marcus »

Terratheon wrote:Our knowledge of Alexanders campaign's and most ancient battles is rather fixed: the lost books of Ptolemy, Callisthenes, Polybius, Livy, and others are not likely to be recovered, and it seems there are only two remaining sources by which we might recover new tactical information on ancient battles. One of course is informed speculation based on our knowledge of topography and ancient tactics regarding how battles must have transpired in light of this knowledge. The other of course, is battlefield archeology. For example, I have been apprised various pieces of armor and weaponry were recovered from a hill on the Charonea battlefield, suggestive of the possibility much of the conflict occurred at that point. It appears one might be able to deduce on the grand tactics used during a battle if one recovered helmets, breastplates or wepons identified with specific units mentioned in the agent sources or which indicated whether or not the unit in question was cavalry, infantry or peltasts. Do any of you know of any publications offering systematic attempts to illuminate ancient battlefield tactics based on detailed archeological excavations? If you do, please post the information here. I would like to open up this to discussion.
Very interesting question. I have to say that, unfortunately, I know of no publications that might help with that, although the second of those mentioned by wmp sounds as if it might be useful.

I'd definitely be interested in knowing about any other publications that people might suggest.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

Hi all,

Just one question: Chaironeia (as other spots in Ancient Greece) was a place of frequent battles. Is it possible to determine which helmets/cuirasses/greaves correspond to each?

ATB,
Alejandro
Lisa

Post by Lisa »

I'm very curious about the archaeology of Alexender's route, actually. Didn't know if I should post here or start anew. I know that it CAN be a problem when you have an area that's been populated over and over again throughout time, because how do you know which period of time you are dealing with unless you are really sharp? One thing that really interests me is the possibility of excavating some of those areas that have been identified as part of Alexander's route, but are so remote that they may well have been mostly left alone for the past 2000 years or so. Michael Wood seemed to believe that he had identified just such locations, including mountain passes and such. I know that it can be difficult or impossible to gain entry to such locations and difficult to get permission to dig and such, but I'm SO intrigued by the idea of an area so remote that it's been mostly undisturbed since Alexender marched his army through. I'm less interested in battlefield stuff and more interested in everyday life details.