Book on Greeks in India and "Olympiada" (?)

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

amyntoros
Somatophylax

Book on Greeks in India and "Olympiada" (?)

Post by amyntoros »

A two-for-one posting again! First of all, as Pothos has readers from all over the world, has anyone seen or read the following book which seems to be only found in Pakistan. (I don't think English is the native tongue of the reviewer because there are many typos, some of which I've fixed, but I'm assuming the book itself is written in English.)From: http://www.indolink.com/Book/book103.htmlGreeks in Ancient Pakistan by: Rafi U Samad
Publisher: INDUS PUBLICATIONS (Published in 2003), 2002 Price: PRs750, Pages: 128, ISBN: 969-529-001-9 Reviewed by: Safdar Mehdi "The invasion of Alexander the Great of the territories, which now constitute Pakistan, was an event of great significance not only because of the extraordinary nature of the military expenditure undertaken by one of the worlds greatest conquerors; but also because it was the first time that direct contacts were established between Europe & South Asia. Alexander's invasion opened up a new era of mutually beneficial trade and cultural exchanges between the two regions, more than 4000 kilometers apart. The fairly intense interaction between ancient South Asia and Greece, which commenced with the invasion of Alexander in fourth century BC, continued for almost seven centuries till the middle of 5th century AD. After Alexander it was the Seleucid and Bactrian Greeks settled in West and Central Asia, who continued to interact from across the borders, before the Bactrian/Indus Greeks conquered Gandhara and Punjab in the beginning of 1st century BC. The Indus Greeks were succeeded by the philhellenic Scythian, Parthians and Kushans, who continued to rule Ancient Pakistan, till the middle of 5th century AD During this extensive period, the nature and extent of Greek involvement and the impact, which the interactions produced in Ancient South Asia and Greece, has been the subject of much controversy. This book incorporates the latest material, which has become available through the research of international scholars. This material has been critically evaluated and supplemented by the author-¦s own critical analysis of the Hellenistic influences on local art and the influence of eastern Philosophy and religions on the intellectual movments in Greece and elsewhere in Europe. The book also seeks to identify places and regions mentioned by Alexander-¦s Generals in their accounts of his military campaigns in the territories, which now constitute Pakistan. It provides latest information
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Book on Greeks in India and

Post by amyntoros »

It provides latest information on the Alexandrias and the cities founded by the Indus Greeks in this region and on the cantoments and military posts established by Alexander."Then there is this news item about events in Switzerland:22 May 2004 Lausanne, SWITZERLAND
From Olympia To Athens: Summer Programme Of The Olympic Museum During the summer of 2004, the Olympic Museum in Lausanne will experience the Games of the XXVIII Olympiad in Athens, as well as those of Ancient and modern Greece.
The programme of GÇ£From Olympia to AthensGÇ¥ looks at 25 centuries of culture, art, history and sport. "World premi+¿re of the "Olympiada" opera
The other highlight of this fabulous programme will be GÇ£OlympiadaGÇ¥, the world premi+¿re of an open-air opera, from 22 July to 7 August. The plot is based on the strong personality of Olympiada, mother of Alexander the Great, and whose reputation left many marks on the history of Ancient Greece. The piece is characterised above all by the mastery of classical language, the originality of the melodies and the orchestral colour, enriched by an in-depth knowledge of Greek musical culture."The opera sounds like fun - but "Olympiada"?? Is this a Swiss transliteration of the name Olympias, or is there something I don't know? :-)Best regards,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Greetings Amyntoros,Please excuse my expression but think your on top of it. Maybe the Swiss production people are from the border of Italy, Swiss & Italian Alps were their dialects are intertwined. I'll call this a way off generic Broadway production. This is my guess and I could be wrong.Take care
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Hello Andrew:Though the opera is being produced for the first time in Switzerland, there may be people of other countries involved in the composition and development. Either way, I wish it success so that perhaps it goes on tour, as there's no chance of me seeing it as it stands.When I think about it, the life (and legend) of Olympias is perfect operatic material. She was powerful for a woman in those times, outspoken, associated by some with the murder of her husband and others, and of course there is her son who ought at least to have a supporting role! Not to forget her supposed involvement with the Dionysiac revels, etc. Then there's her death, where the first soliders who were sent to kill her were so awed by her presence and her reputation that they were unable to "dispatch her," as Justin says. I'm surprised no one thought of making her life story into an opera before now. And an opera sung in classical Greek has got to be an experience! :-)There must be a reason for calling her Olympiada - I can't imagine this would be an error under the circumstances.Best regards,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

How exciting! What a fascinating subject. I don't know why they'd call it "Olympiada" except that indicates an extravaganza of some sort (based on her personality and name). Her real name was "Myrtle" and she named herself "Olympias" because it meant one who dwelt on the mountain Olympus (rough trans.) I stood in the approximate spot where she likely stood when she was stoned to death and there is a clear view of the mountain from there. (I was exploring Pydna a few years ago and got to speak to the archaeologists who were there at the time trying to locate her original tomb. They felt she was probably moved later on by her supporters to the royal tombs at Vergina. But at the time of her death she was an enemy of Kassandros so was buried first at Pydna.) The first troop he sent to kill her were frightened of her. So he rounded up relatives of Antipater's clan who she'd had murdered previously and they stoned her to death. I've just loved working with this character in my novel and plan to do a book just on her whenever I get this one done! (heaves a discouraged sigh!!!)
yiannis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by yiannis »

Olympiada is the accusative form of Olympias.So it goes:
Olympias
Olympiados
Olympiada
Olympias(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't remember the dative form)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Thanks Yiannis! Yesterday, I found a website that called her Olympiada (but only one!) so I was beginning to think it might be something to do with Greek grammar. Funny how I've been studying Alexander for years and have never come across this form of Olympias' name before. :-)Regards,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

"the originality of the melodies and the orchestral colour"That's the bit that worries me rather! I'm imagining something between Philip Glass and Stockhausen (not a pretty idea, IMHO).Still, I won't get to see it, so shall have to rely on the reports of others.M
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Hello Linda,I totally agree. I think of Olympias as the Susan B of her time, maybe that's going too far because the thought of women having the right to vote in those days was unthinkable at least in Greece. Was it the same in Macedonia? I know women had status in Egypt. As far as I'm concerned Olympias had lots of moxie! Women's lib? But she was born into a higher level of stature, then the marriage to Philip and then when that soured (when the honeymoon was over) she and Alexander had each other for support. Too bad she could not foresee the onslaught of Kassandros but if it wasn't him it would have been someone else. After the death of Alexander she was doomed.Olymiada is definitely an original, It's not Latin? Just one of those opera things.

Regards, Andrew
amyntiades

Post by amyntiades »

Well, "Amyntoros", it's not really a question of studying Alexander, but ancient Greek grammar.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Unfortunately, that isn't likely to happen on my schedule - there barely seems enough time as it is. But perhaps one day.My point though was that the name Olympiada is obviously rarely used, even though there are many, many academics out there who have written books on Alexander (and can translate ancient Greek), yet I've never seen the form Olympiada used in books *or* on the internet where there are also sites on Alexander that originate from Greece.But, as usual, thanks to the knowledgeable people here, this forum has once again been a learning experience. :-)Regards,Linda Ann
Amyntoros

Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Do I sense a grammatical point being made here...? :)I would like to study Greek further, but can't find a course or teacher that doesn't involve taking a university course (durign the day). If I wanted to learn Microsoft Word, or how to watch films, I coudl go to a class every night, but GREEK?
wmp
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by wmp »

There's an on-line learning ancient greek site,
hosted by the University of Lampeter at
http://www.lamp.ac.uk/classics/mathos/ that
might interest you. I don't recall where you are
based, but the Joint Association of Classical
Teachers (http://www.jact.org/) can sometimes
put you in touch with language teachers in the
UK, & they run summer schools...yours,wmp
Linda
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Linda »

Hi wmpI have seen the Mathos site - it is excellent. I am hopeless at self-study, though. Thanks for the link to the classicist teachers' site. I'll email them.RegardsLinda
fanis

Post by fanis »

>Olympiada is the accusative form of Olympias.
>
>So it goes: Olympias Olympiados Olympiada Olympias
>
>(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)Olympiada is the accusative form of Olympias.
>
>
>(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)Olympiada is the accusative form of Olympias.
>
>
>(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)
>
>
>(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)So it goes: Olympias Olympiados Olympiada Olympias
>
>(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)So it goes: Olympias Olympiados Olympiada Olympias
>
>(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)(not a grammar expert, so sorry but I can't >remember the dative form)remember the dative form)remember the dative form)Hello and congratualtions for this forum. I am Greek so I think I can help you about the question for "Olympiada". (I am very pleased you know so much greek)
you are right it goes Olympias Olympiados Olympiada Olympiasbut when you use the word in English the right is to use the first one "Olympias"
So is "Olympiada" wrong?
the one who used "Olympiada" is obviusly a modern greek. In modern greek it is rigth to use
Olympias Olympiados Olympiada Olympias
but you can also useOlympiada Olympiadas Olympiada Olympiada which "simplifies" the language
so if now someone takes the first one he have
"Olympiada"
I think it is more right to use Olympias but this is explanation for "Olympiada"