Forum Members....ATG Influence

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

kuringlas

Forum Members....ATG Influence

Post by kuringlas »

I have noticed that there seems to be some authors/writers in this forum. I am not an author, i am a Software Engineer and live in Australia(of Greek origin). What is everyone else? Just like to know what sort employment/locations peoples on this forum have/come from, to have such a passionate following for ATG. In other words I am ultimately trying to ascertain, does/did studyinh ATG bear an influence in your career/life, and how.
chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Forum Members....ATG Influence

Post by chris »

HiI guess you could ask why some people are fascinated with history whilst others would rather watch paint dry. Personally, I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't be fascinated with the story of ATG, but, it seems some people would rather talk about the weather. I think if history is taught in an enlightened way, at an early age, you've got 'em hooked. Oh, I worked in Financial Services before semi-retirement.Chris
karla

Post by karla »

I myself have been wondering about this same question too, about who are the admirers of ATG. I'm a junior in UC Berkeley, here in the US, and have not met many university students personally interested in ATG. I'm sure though, that his influence is definitely timeless and had no boundaries. Throughout history, all types of people from Caesar to Jim Morrison have admired ATG immensely.
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Well, I first got interested in ATG when I was 16 and I spent my last year of high school writing an Alexander themed novel (almost failed grades as a result but I never regreted it!) My fascination continued but I didn't get to Greece until I was much, much older. Meanwhile worked for a newspaper editorial right after school, got married, later on became a daycare teacher, had quit writing but then started again and kept on and on. Now I teach writing classes, still work p.t. in daycare, but I'm about 80% working as a writer and trying like mad to finish up my novel about the fall of Alexander's dynasty. Meanwhile I've lived in Greece and been going back and forth from there since 1978.
It's become my second home. (and no, I'm not Greek. Come from a Welsh/English background.)