Question about Alexander revisionism.

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

The Cynic

Question about Alexander revisionism.

Post by The Cynic »

I'm in a discussion with someone who claims that there is no primary source documentation on Alexander commanding in battle, that a standing order was issued to his bodyguard to keep him five miles from a battle, and that Philip had an order to keep him from command. I've never heard of anything like this.
Susan

Re: Question about Alexander revisionism.

Post by Susan »

This is a new one on me! The primary sources are full of references to him leading in battle - I was going to make a list but it would be too long. Openeing the sources at random, I found:Plutarch 20 - ... leading his own right wing in person... ( Battle of Issus)
Arrian 5,18 - Battle of Hydaspes - Alexander leads the charges.
There is no question that Alexander led in person, and indeed he was often taken to task by his generals for risking his life in this way.As for Philip, he gave Alexander the command of the left wing at the battle of Chaeronea, where according to Plutarch he was the first to break the line of the Theban Sacred Band.Best regardsSusan
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

When it comes to internet discussions, sooner or later, we'll probably find a forum where sientific proof that pigs fly will be presented!regards,
Yiannis
Nick Christakes

Post by Nick Christakes »

...they can't?
The Cynic

Post by The Cynic »

Thank you all. I haven't read anything other than secondary sources on him, and was afraid that he was going to pull out some doozy on me. Arrian's account is based on Ptolemy's, so I guess that is as close as we can come to a first-hand account.
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

:-)
There a joke that goes:
An old couple sits on the porch. Old man reading the newspaper and old lady knitting. Loud noise of flapping is heard and a cow appears flying and goes past their house. Old lady shouts to old man: look, look quickly. By the time her husband looks the cow is gone so he sees nothing. The old lady is frustrated! A few minutes later the same thing happens again with 2 cows this time, and then it happens again with 3 etc but the old man always misses the spectacle much to the disappointment of his wife. Finally there's a deafening noise of flapping and a whole herd of cows passes right in front of the house. Old lady is ecstatic. The old man stares at them and announces to his lady: They must have a nest somewhere nearby!!!regards,
yiannis
Maciek

Post by Maciek »

If Alexanders' soldiers could fly so good that they defeeted the Sogdians and even found a wife for their king that I can belive that pigs and cows can fly too (it's for comming back to subject of forum)