ATG Birthday Present

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

chris
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

ATG Birthday Present

Post by chris »

HiIf you could present ATG with one thing, or take him to one place, what would it be?Chris
John.

Re: ATG Birthday Present

Post by John. »

I already touched on "2001: A Space Odyssey" below. For 2003, how about a Time Odyssey, depicting Alexander avoiding his pre-mature death?http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/books ... rid=550I'm not sure if it's actually been published yet, though. I wonder if Alexander already knows how he travels through time, and conquers those pesky aliens?John
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

For one thing, I do not believe that Alexander would really need anything at this time in his life. I believe that John who had told me that the Apollo space program was designed to match with his birthday, and it was noted yesterday on Fox so that I remembered not only Alexander but Miss Armstrong, my first grade teacher, and Neil Armstrong, who hails from Wapakoneta, Ohio is enough for me.Alexander is the more honored for so many persons on this website and the Yahoo group site who have remembered his birthday and who have brought it to our attention.Nobody in history will ever top Alexander. His feats are so extraordinary as to be unbelievable. But I remember that my aunt did not believe that we had placed a man on the moon, and there are others who still do not believe that either.So while Alexander lived a short but full life, the only birthday gift I find suitable is simply to enjoy the many books, films, and friends he has accumulated over the centuries. As the best gift he gave the world was the gift of himself, I suppose it is in sharing his life with others can he be truly happy.
John.

Post by John. »

I think I said exactly 2,300 years after Alexander was said to have unchained Apollo's statue at Tyre (for the Tyrians were afraid Apollo would go over to Alexander's side), Apollo blasted Armstrong to set the first footprint on the moon on Alexander's birthday, July 20.Are you trying to make me say the Apollo program was orchestrated by Apollo himself? But maybe I should say it was Hercules (Armstrong?), since Alexander was so adamant to pay honor to Hercules at his temple in Tyre. Or maybe it was teamwork?John
Thalestris

Post by Thalestris »

Hi Chris,Hmmm, what would I present to him for his birthday. Well, back in his time I would present to him a handsome sword, whose hilt would be encrusted with diamonds, emeralds, rubies and sapphires---I think he'd like the grandeur blended with strength. And a belt, encrusted with the same. [Hmmm, while I am at it and gradually going on a mental-vision-trip, listening to Fusion Jazz]how about a cloak, sewn-strew with the jewels, pinned at the neckline with a massive sapphire in the midst of the pin; the cloak flowing heavily behind him, and glimmering in the sun. He'd love it, feeling like some sun-god-king!Rather, if I were to *travel* back in time, I'd bring fireworks, and set them off for him. That would blow his mind, eh?Cheers!Amazon Queen
beausefaless
Hetairos (companion)

Post by beausefaless »

Alexander, when possible, made sure there was entertainment for his army. I would introduce to him and his army rock & roll concerts and give him a large assortment of new feathers for his helmet and sacks of grain for all the horses.
John.

Post by John. »

Well, I see the aliens are having fun, and my above link no longer goes to the right place. So I have to make a new one, where you can read a blurb about Alexander and alien intervention.http://books.fantasticfiction.co.uk/n6/ ... id=550John
luc

Post by luc »

Antibiotics!!!!!! and take him to a real modern doctor, not HMO either...like one of those celebrity doctors you have to pay $500 an hour for.
Yes that's it.
anna

Post by anna »

Hands up!!!!!!!! We've got the winner here!!!!The best birthday present i've ever heard of!!!!! ;)But seriosly, though, how do we know all of the sudden that Alex's birthday is on 20 of July? Just wondering....:/And i have to add - this forum simply drives me nuts!!!! :((((((( Gr-r-r-r....