Netflix’s Alexander..

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Hypaspist
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Netflix’s Alexander..

Post by Hypaspist »

Ok, so I watched the whole of the Netflix series on Alex and I’m shocked. Absolutely disastrous turdshow. Anyone seen it? He wore basically the same armour throughout the series 😂 And they didnt get anything right with regard to his army, uniforms, tactics, formations. Where were the famous sarrisas?? But the most appalling thing was how he wore the Pharao hat in the battle of Gaugamela!! Do better, Netflix!
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Re: Netflix’s Alexander..

Post by Alexias »

I haven't seen it, but the general opinion seems to be that it is just for mass-consumption rather than the purists.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alexias wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 10:02 am I haven't seen it, but the general opinion seems to be that it is just for mass-consumption rather than the purists.
I made it as far as about 10 minutes into episode three and I've failed to summon the enthusiasm to press 'play' to watch any more. It is awful.

What angers me the most is that they got so much wrong that they could easily have got right. It seemed to me that they assumed that the audience was stupid, and couldn't cope with an accurate portrayal of the history.
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Hypaspist

Post by Hypaspist »

It was absolutely atrocious that they had him wear a Pharao’s hat during the battle of Gaugamela. Beyond insane.
hiphys

Post by hiphys »

I watched the whole of the Netflix series on Alexander and I'm upset and angry. I read comments on many mistakes of the series (army, tactics, dress and so on), but I think the whole planning is wrong: its true headline should have been "Alexander Romance". Even the so-called 'experts' had done their worst in their explanations. For example they tell three times that Darius wasn't of royal lineage and only wedding Stateira he became king. But all ancient sources agree that Darius became king on his own right! And what about the Egyptian (?) priestess playing many times with coins and statuettes? It seems that the very name of Alexander means only telling new lies freely, as if there weren't already too much on him!
cuthbertdavies

Post by cuthbertdavies »

Can you give me a list of all the movies? I've seen a lot but it seems there are many movies I've missed.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

cuthbertdavies wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:02 am Can you give me a list of all the movies? I've seen a lot but it seems there are many movies I've missed.
Oh Lord, that's a big ask!

There haven't been that many movies with a cinematic release that I am aware of. The main ones I know of are Oliver Stone's Alexander, Richard Burton's Alexander the Great, and the Indian Sikander.

As for television/streaming documentaries, there are innumerable ones. Possibly one of the best is Michael Wood's 'In the Footsteps of Alexander', but there are plenty of others, some of which are only partial eg there was one a few years ago where someone (I don't remember his name) visited the Hindu Kush area to follow sites where Alexander visited. And there are countless documentaries on YouTube.

The only drama TV series I can think of is the Indian 'Porus', which was abandoned part way through. Other docu-dramas such as this Netflix one seem to be thinner on the ground, but I think there was an older one which may be available on YouTube. Maybe someone can provide you with a link. As always though, the constraints of drama will often mean they are not wholly accurate as characters and and events are often syncretised. Good luck!
mavra22

Post by mavra22 »

Alexias wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:25 am
cuthbertdavies wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 10:02 am Can you give me a list of all the movies? I've seen a lot but it seems there are many movies I've missed.
As for television/streaming documentaries, there are innumerable ones. Possibly one of the best is Michael Wood's 'In the Footsteps of Alexander', but there are plenty of others, some of which are only partial eg there was one a few years ago where someone (I don't remember his name) visited the Hindu Kush area to follow sites where Alexander visited. And there are countless documentaries on YouTube.
That recent docuseries on Alexander's passage through the Hindu Kush is by David Adams, titled "Alexander's Lost World"!

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLB8z ... ure=shared
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi,

Yep, I saw the netflix series a few months ago. It wasn't exactly what I was hoping to see.
Let's just leave it at that.

I remember also watching the Oliver Stone movie and there was an option to watch the film with director's commentary- also, Robin Lane Fox was the film's historical advisor and he discussed the many liberties Stone took in the same running commentary. I understand that Fox was allowed to be an extra in the film at the Gaugamela battle.

Anyway, guess that the netflix series won't be used in many schools in history class or at least I hope it won't... :shock:
regards,
Dean.
carpe diem
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

I haven't seen it, but it seems to have provoked quite a bit of Alexander interest as there is quite a bit of activity over on AO3 (Archive of Our Own fan fiction).

It is the 20th anniversary of Stone's movie later this year and I was hoping to do something in the forum to mark it. Yes, there is a shot of Lane Fox riding as a cavalryman in the Gaugamela scenes.
Jeanne Reames

Post by Jeanne Reames »

There were a LOT of liberties taken, many all about cost. For example, the (daughter) Barsine is too old because it's apparently super-expensive to bring minors onto a set. And there aren't nearly enough people, even guards for Alexander, due to lack of money. They couldn't afford a lot that was suggested. It may have been bought by Netflix, but Netflix didn't give it much in the way of funding. "Shoe-string" budget describes it. And they never showed any of the costumes or scene mock-ups to the historical advisors.

It seems to have been enjoyed by people who aren't hugely familiar with Alexander. The whole time, they kept emphasizing that 98% of the viewers would know nada about him, so it had to make sense to them.
----
Dr. Jeanne Reames
Director, Ancient Mediterranean Studies
Graduate Studies Chair
University of Nebraska, Omaha
287 ASH; 6001 Dodge Street
Omaha NE 68182
http://jeannereames.net/cv.html
hiphys

Post by hiphys »

But if lot of liberties were taken because of the lack of money, why Netflix added a lot of nonsense to Alexander's history, such as the old Egyptian priestess, the Persians playing polo, Alexander begging the Persian governor of Egypt on his knees, and so on? Is it necessary to tell so many lies only to cut down the budget?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Jeanne Reames wrote: Tue Apr 23, 2024 12:04 am There were a LOT of liberties taken, many all about cost. For example, the (daughter) Barsine is too old because it's apparently super-expensive to bring minors onto a set. And there aren't nearly enough people, even guards for Alexander, due to lack of money. They couldn't afford a lot that was suggested. It may have been bought by Netflix, but Netflix didn't give it much in the way of funding. "Shoe-string" budget describes it. And they never showed any of the costumes or scene mock-ups to the historical advisors.

It seems to have been enjoyed by people who aren't hugely familiar with Alexander. The whole time, they kept emphasizing that 98% of the viewers would know nada about him, so it had to make sense to them.
Yes, the whole issue of audience targeting is interesting. I recently gave up on the adaptation of Cornwell's "The Winter King" because it was so bad. One of my friends, who owns a TV production company, explained it thus: "They assume that the people who have read the book will hate it anyway, so they target it at people who won't know how bad it is." I suppose the same could be said of this series.

I felt for you, Jeanne, seeing you named as a historical adviser, and then seeing the complete mess they made of it! :-(
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK