Alexander the Great quotes

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Alexias
Strategos (general)

Alexander the Great quotes

Post by Alexias »

Some of you may be aware of the Facebook group Alexander the Great Reading Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1543881469166031, run by Michael Mann, aka https://thesecondachilles.com/.

The author Argent Wood, posted the following to the group:
The following quote is ascribed to Alexander the Great:
"True love never has a happy ending because there is no ending to true love."
Does anyone know the ancient source for this quote?"
I tried to reply to this post, but my reply kept getting declined.
This quote is entirely spurious. I suspect it is a corruption of this from Plutarch's Moralia "On another occasion Cassander forced Python, beloved by Evius the flute-player , to kiss him, and Alexander, seeing that Evius was vexed, leapt up in anger against Cassander, exclaiming "It isn't allowable even to fall in love with anybody, because of you and people like you."
It wasn't the 'spurious' that got it declined as I tried it without it. Was it the 'kiss'? 'beloved'? Who knows.

Anyway, the point of this post is to warn people off this site https://www.azquotes.com/author/5835-Al ... _the_Great. I don't recognise a single one of those quotes as legitimate. They just appear to be something people think Alexander would have said. Go to the original sources if you want a quote, there are plenty of online copies of translations.
sikander
Somatophylax

Re: Alexander the Great quotes

Post by sikander »

Greetings Alexias,
I know of a couple members in the ATG Reading group that had problems posting initially, so I suspect it's a random glitch in the system? because the posts were fairly harmless and on the second try, they went through.
Hope you have better luck next time!
Regards,
Sikander
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings,
I went to the quotes site; it appears that there are SOME attributions for some of the quotes, so at least a few could be looked up- haven't verified the sources, however. And some appear to be interpretations of things found in sources. Could be interesting to verify actual source and words used.
Regards,
Sikander
chris_taylor
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by chris_taylor »

chatGPT says the quote is from Richard Bach (of Jonathan Livington Seagull fame), from his book "A Bridge Across Forever".
All men by nature desire understanding. Aristotle.
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Sounds about right.
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings

The Bach quote is " “That's why love stories don't have endings! They don't have endings because love doesn't end.”

Regards,
Sikander