Chamber 4

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Chamber 4

Post by system1988 »

I read Derek s most recent post and i liked the phrase '' ...the site jumps into life now and then ". I hope with this post ,i achieve something close to this
I would like to report a recent interview of mrs Katerina Peristeri about the Amphipolis dig.The works on the restoration ,building of the foundations and promotion of the monument ,are well on the way ,and the entire site will be open to the public by 2021

The most early burial (chamber 4 ) was luxurious and housed a man of 33/35 ca years old ( parts of the skeleton were recovered) whose feet touched a rectangle object that contained Hephaestion s ashes that was in turn brought there from Babylon after his own burial/ cremation . The ashes have been found .
I would have sent the video of the interview ,but it s in greek and i don t think it would be of any use to you
Of cource i would like to add that i just carry the words of the interview and i am neutral to their content and meaning
Τhe subject of the tomb of Kasta will be an issue for many years. After all is the greatest and most expensive tomb ever found in Greece isnt it ?
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: Chamber 4

Post by delos13 »

system1988 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:37 pm
The most early burial (chamber 4 ) was luxurious and housed a man of 33/35 ca years old ( parts of the skeleton were recovered) whose feet touched a rectangle object that contained Hephaestion s ashes that was in turn brought there from Babylon after his own burial/ cremation . The ashes have been found .
Thanks for sharing, Pauline. As exciting as it sounds, how it was ascertained that a rectangular object contained Hephaistion's ashes?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Hi Delos
In a conversation with the interviewer i suppose the archeologist wanted to avoid some difficult technical elements .The
rectangular shape would originate from the ashes s shape that in turn , would have take the shape of the object
containing it. We have seen this in other digs .
It is very positive that we will have the full pubblication of the dig -i hope soon -and i hope it comes with a summary in
english as usual
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Hopefully you will be able to let us know when the report is published.
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by delos13 »

system1988 wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:19 am Hi Delos
In a conversation with the interviewer i suppose the archeologist wanted to avoid some difficult technical elements .The
rectangular shape would originate from the ashes s shape that in turn , would have take the shape of the object
containing it. We have seen this in other digs .
It is very positive that we will have the full pubblication of the dig -i hope soon -and i hope it comes with a summary in
english as usual
Hi system1988, thanks for additional details. It would be great to read at the least the summary of the publication when available.

Going back to my original question which I think I should rephrase. I am more interested to know how it was determined that the ashes belong to Hephaistion?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Hi Delos

I think that after this interview msr K.Peristeri will be sentenced to death by stoning ...

I am kidding

I believe that the she relies on the inscriptions she found -the famous ' I received ...for Hephaestion " ,the monogram of Hephaestion on the rosettes in the interior of the tomb, and the dating of the monument right after 325 bC according to the wall structure ,and from many serious historical signs that also Dr Th.Mavroghiannis ( Cyprus Univercity ) has submitted even BEFORE the revelation of the epigraphies and the chamber 4 ..He announced then that such HUGE tomb/heroon could have belonged only to Hephaestion submitting much historical evidence = Hephaestion was (also )Alexander s shipbuilder He had bult the navy at Patala where we get from the golden -plated shipbows in the Babylon ... Amfipolis is the port/place where the navy of the campaign has departed . According to him Krateros ? brought back with him Hephaestion s ashes to Macedonia along with Alexander order to construct magnificent and glorious temples to him the grand hero,to the man who was 'like he himself " In Macedonia Hephaestion was worshiped like a hero who reached god hood.
There are those who doubt almost all this evidence of Peristeri and her team ..that the epigraphy does not say that ...the monogram is from a later era , the tomb belongs to a woman ( and the huge lion ?) and this woman is Olympias ( Cassander hated Olympias fiercely) the tomb belongs to the roman era ( ok ..)
There r is more evidence of the two opponents thesis , but i cannot submit due to objective difficulties

The link you submitted with Verghina photos does not work , at least not from my part , but i am sure they are magnificent