The lord of the rings +

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

The lord of the rings +

Post by system1988 »

http://www.lifo.gr/articles/archaeology_articles/116589

Tomb of the warrior of Pylos 1500 bC,Messenia near the palace of Nestor. The biggest gold ring ever found in the Aegean civililation.Five godesses (?) are dancing near the sea.In the center a temple( ?) Their faces are faces of monsters (? )

http://tvxs.gr/news/politismos/aytos-it ... -tis-pyloy

To be continued
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
delos13
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The lord of the rings +

Post by delos13 »

Thanks for sharing.
hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by hiphys »

Hi, Pauline thanks for this post! The ring is really gorgeous, but what caught my imagination is the fashion of the women's skirts. I never saw before flounce skirts and plain skirts together in the same ring. Generally the latter are considered old-fashioned in comparison with the former. Perhaps is of some significance that the women are gathered according to the fashion of their skirt: old (Minoan ?) age against new (Mycenaean ?) times?
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Thank you for your comment Delos. I am glad you liked it.

I know that it must be hard for all to read the text if not impossible to read, what with it being in Greek and all, but I am also glad you liked the photos.

Hphys, you noticed something very interesting: According to the researchers, that ring has many scenes depicted each sepreately in different rings, and all now find themselves together depicted on that one.

The next post that explains more on the entire ring scene will be in English.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει