Amphipolis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Amphipolis

Post by Paralus »

And possibly a good thing too Alexias!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Good Lord, I've just worked it out - it must be over 30 years since I read RLF.
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Alexias wrote:Equally baffled, Pauline, but I think Nicator is referring to the plot of his fictional epic.

Is it time to start a new thread that is Alexander-related? Does anyone have any suggestions? A read-through and discussion of one of the sources? A read-through of one of the recognised text books? It's years since I read Robin Lane-Fox.
My epic is NOT fiction! It is written in verse, that does not make it less credible. In fact, because of the difficulty of writing in verse, the work requires far more effort, which itself required more thorough source digestion and analysis to produce. It attempts to cover the entire story, as factually, as possible. There is no plot, other than what is generally accepted as historical. My commentary is aimed at the reinterpretation of certain events, based on the knowledge obtained of present conspiracies. Some of this, may make it into the footnotes, some into a full appendix. The truth is always far more complex than we can generally appreciate on a simple read of extant source material. And I will interpret it the way, which best fits the facts available.

"recognised text books"....Is this intended to be an insult?
Last edited by Nicator on Wed May 11, 2016 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

system1988 wrote:" Israeli agents '???? why ? who ? When? ( seems Israel hasnt other significant problems.The problem is a King dead 2000 years ago )
I don't have the internet bandwidth to dig it out and repost, but it was posted several years back. A Greek woman was performing a dig in Egypt (circa...2004?), which was investigated by Israeli agents and subsequently shut down by the Macedonian president...shortly thereafter.

I cannot teach (and PLEASE don't take this as an insinuation of ignorance...because it is certainly not intended as such) you the basics of real-politic here...and probably not anywhere, as it's complicated, has taken me many years to decipher, and goes against what you've likely been taught and indoctrinated with, like all of us, since birth. If I'm reading your outlook correctly, the truth about Israel would likely cause such a great deal of cognitive dissonance, that you'd surely dismiss whatever I say as ridiculous. And that's just the way they intended it.

Through high level contacts in the DOD and elsewhere, I've also been made aware that there are high level sources, which are unavailable to the general public and academia, but which are esoterically available only to certain privileged individuals, only the highest levels about Alexander the Great.

If I'm reading you correctly, your perception of what Israel is (and is not) is incorrect. And what they 'are' directly impacts our ability to obtain this forbidden intel, as it 'could' be perceived as a threat.

I cannot go further.
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Liana Souvaltzi. She has uncovered a Greek temple at Siwah that was discovered in the 19th century and is convinced it is Alexander's tomb (even though it isn't and most people think she is at best unreliable). How did the Israelis get it shut down? Don't think the Egyptian government would do it to oblige the Israelis.
sikander
Somatophylax

Post by sikander »

Greetings Pothosians.

This has turned into a rather interesting thread that could, of itself, go into many tangents.
Oddly enough, although Alexander is long dead, his perceived legacy, by those who wish to interpret one, continues
in the form of a different groups, like "The Order of Alexander the Great" (New York, Germany... the fact that Ronald Reagan
was a member is almost amusing)and others (in Asia, US); the mythology of power attached to whoever possesses his body (and that is part of the appeal for finding it) plays into the on-going interest and so on.

If nothing else, it proves fame and legend not only survives long after a person is gone, but that it mutates into whatever the current era demands.

Regards,
Sikander
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

sikander wrote:Greetings Pothosians.

This has turned into a rather interesting thread that could, of itself, go into many tangents.
Oddly enough, although Alexander is long dead, his perceived legacy, by those who wish to interpret one, continues
in the form of a different groups, like "The Order of Alexander the Great" (New York, Germany... the fact that Ronald Reagan
was a member is almost amusing)and others (in Asia, US); the mythology of power attached to whoever possesses his body (and that is part of the appeal for finding it) plays into the on-going interest and so on.

If nothing else, it proves fame and legend not only survives long after a person is gone, but that it mutates into whatever the current era demands.

Regards,
Sikander

Greeting's Sikander!

It's been a long time indeed old friend ;)

Trump developed the Alexander Suite in Las Vegas to. This power elite has great interest in Alexander...always has, always will. I'll have to take a look into the Order of Alexander club. I wonder what the buy in fee is.
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
sikander
Somatophylax

The Orderof Alexander: to Nicator

Post by sikander »

Greetings Nicator,

It's an interesting "club"... involved process, from application to novice onwards... membership is telling and interesting in and of itself.
Here you go <chuckling>:http://www.meaus.com/alexander.html
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I really don't think the site benefits by the conspiracy stuff and fail to understand why it is in this thread.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Paralus wrote:I really don't think the site benefits by the conspiracy stuff and fail to understand why it is in this thread.

Indeed, it is best not to discuss things without having, at least, some knowledge of the mechanisms which drive it. Her commentary exposed something, the significance of which, few have had the desire to discover or the capacity to understand. :lol:
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Paralus wrote:Welcome back Mr Christakes. Nice to have you back after a hiatus.
Seems like I was a little premature. Oh well, it's a male thingy....
Paralus

Academia.edu
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Paralus wrote:
Paralus wrote:Welcome back Mr Christakes. Nice to have you back after a hiatus.
Seems like I was a little premature. Oh well, it's a male thingy....
Ya know, they have a pill for that now.
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Nicator wrote:

Oh, no...
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

system1988 wrote:
Nicator wrote:

Oh, no...
Nicest thing anyone's said to me on this site in years.
Later Nicator

The Epic of Alexander