New Member Welcomes and Introductions

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

New Member Welcomes and Introductions

Post by Paralus »

Welcome Sean_m. Ex RAT or just visiting?!
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Conspiracy against Philotas By Waldemar Heckel

Post by sean_m »

My posting on RAT trailed off over the past three or four years, while I've stumbled across pothos now and then. My own research has taken me further and further from the Roman army, so even if that forum had not changed I am not sure how much I would have to say there!

I confess that I have not had not been able to read up on Alexanderforschung over the past few years, but I may have the odd Parthian shot to contribute here.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Yes, I think I've mentioned more than once on RAT that 'this' or 'that' is of little moment as they really "are all Romans here...". Despite the sub forums on other areas. Never mind, the push (not yet quite a putsch) continues hereabouts to extend this to 'pre-Alexander' (Philip and the city states) and post Alexander (the Diadochi and successor kingdoms) does it not Amyntoros??!! As you'll note from 'Kynoskephalai' threads and the like, the moderators here are not quite so hide-bound, dogmatic and full of themselves as might be found on another site. Threads, too, are far more 'organic' here despite occasional moans of 'digression'. Just don't run foul of the Lunch Room Monitor....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

...and an added welcome from me too Sean.....PM sent. Looking forward to your posts here.
sean_m
Hetairos (companion)

Post by sean_m »

Glad to see you both. With some apprehension, I will try to correct some typos in my last post and see if it is kicked back into moderation.
My blog (Warning: may contain up to 95% non-Alexandrian content, rated shamelessly philobarbarian by 1 out of 1 Plutarchs)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

sean_m wrote:Glad to see you both. With some apprehension, I will try to correct some typos in my last post and see if it is kicked back into moderation.
Sean, moderation of a new member has little to do with the actual post as long as the member is genuinely interested in Alexander and related topics. This past year or so we have had a tremendous problem with spam from so called new "members" so Thomas instituted a system wherein the first four posts must have moderator approval. Can't tell you how much spam I alone have disallowed in the past six months!!! However, when we see that a new member is "for real" our approval is automatic.

I will add my own welcome to that of Paralus and Xenophon and I'd also like to welcome the many others who have joined us recently (probably thanks to the interest in the tomb at Amphipolis). :) Oh, and yes, Paralus is correct in that we're happy to see threads that may not directly involve Alexander, but which have a connection. For example, discussions on the Persian Empire in the years immediately before Philip/Alexander are more than welcome. On the other hand, a topic about Fifth Century Athens warfare at sea wouldn't have a place here. Such a subject could, of course, be introduced in the Off Topic Forum, but I really doubt that we attract the kind of person who would be interested in such a discussion.

Best Regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Who says!?
Paralus

Academia.edu
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Paralus wrote:Who says!?
Smart...!! :wink: Obviously there are current members who would be interested. I meant that those who browse the web and then find Pothos would not be expecting such a topic as they come here looking for Alexander and related subjects, not older Athenian warfare. Therefore, such a debate would probably not draw much outside interest and/or new member contributions. But you're welcome to prove me wrong, as long as (for now) any such debates are posted in the Off-topic forum.

On other matters, I've now split these posts from the Philotas topic, so any other new members can also introduce themselves, if they wish.

Best Regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor