The Sphinxes Guarding the Lion Tomb Entrance at Amphipolis

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Re: The Sphinxes Guarding the Lion Tomb Entrance at Amphipol

Post by Efstathios »

It seems that my latest post was never published cause it was lost during the "post and close the explorer" phase. So here it is again.

The dating of the marbles comes from the announcements of the archaeologists. Let's not forget that since back in 1998 there was a geo-imaging done from the top of the mound that showed various structures inside, so dating the marbles and identifying their origins would have been one of the fist things that they did once they started excavating the outer wall.

My vote goes to Alexander the 4th and Roxanne, as they were confined and killed in Amphipolis. As for why Cassandros would have made such a big monument for them, if it was him that did it, it was still Alexander's wife and son, and his allied Diadochi could have decided all together to do this.

It could be Nearchos but there are the rodakes that refer to a royal tomb, and the size of it.
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

The first official reconstruction design by the Ministry of Culture.

"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Efstathios wrote:
It could be Nearchos but there are the rodakes that refer to a royal tomb, and the size of it.
I do not think that the rossetes are a sign of royal tombs- they tend to be a very common decorative element in ancient greek art.
As far as the tomb's size is concerned, the only thing can say is that after the asiatic campaign, the monument scale changed and it no longer followed the modest sizes of the older years (Vergina Tomb), like professor Valavanis said today.
Compared to the riches Alexander's generals came to possess, Philip II's fortune was modest at least.Well Alexander gave his generals almost THE WHOLE WORLD...

My blasphemous opinion is that the tomb itself seems to be the final possession of an upstart who wanted everything, from Sphinxes, to Lions to Kariatides (who by the way probably are full-bodied and will soon be revealed). These are just my first impressions.
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Yes but the question is would Nearchos for example build a tomb for himself and his family that is 10 times bigger than Phillip's who was a King? Plus, up until now at least there is no other tomb of this size or even remotely close to it in Greece, lets say for another general with a lot of money. Of course you could be right and as we've said everything is on the table. It could even be Cassandros and his family, although recently 5 tombs were found in Vergina or nearby if i remember correctly that are speculated to belong to him.

I saw a professors' opinion on the news today about the Amphipolis tomb possibly being a monument or something similar, due to the presence of the Karyatides. But that doesn't explain why it was sealed. There is always a catch 22 in almost every theory proposed. We'll know when they get further inside. It's most probable that the research there is ahead of what is officially announced each time. There are holes in the walls and they use micro-cameras to see inside. Of course then they have to dig it carefully to reveal it properly and make each announcement.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

Perhaps this is just a rumor , but the latest -unofficial news - indicated that two epigraphs have been found in the tomb today. Also it is important to know , that in the last 12 hours , the security around the tomb has been increased.

15.30 Alas the news are proven wrong.Found only marble part of the monument.

18.00 Professor Miltiades Chatzopoylos: " Probably only the Antigonids -all kings- father, son, grandson had the power and the wealth to build such a monument "
Xenophon
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Xenophon »

If I were a betting man, which I am not, I too would reckon the Antigonids as the most likely builders......

Others are mere possibilities, but the Antigonids are probable.
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Re:Caryatids full body stature

Post by system1988 »

hiphys
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by hiphys »

This Caryatid seems to be more archaic (or better archaistic) than the ones on Athenian Acropolis. Isn't it?
Taphoi
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Taphoi »

Interestingly, the caryatids in the Amphipolis tomb seem to be slightly lifting their dress with their lowered arm and to have the opposite arm upraised, whereas the caryatids on the throne of Alexander's grandmother seem to be slightly lifting their dress with their lowered arm and to have the opposite arm upraised.
Best wishes,
Andrew
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

hiphys wrote:This Caryatid seems to be more archaic (or better archaistic) than the ones on Athenian Acropolis. Isn't it?
Yes indeed, they are archaistic, and- entre nous- not so "beautiful" they seem...i don't know...provincial and " massive" .
Reminder:All this decoration paintings , sculptures etc were not meant to be seen by anyone ever again
gepd

Post by gepd »

Two photos from a 2nd century BC house of Amphipolis, recently excavated:

Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Nicely found. Appears Deinocrates was still building house in Perseus' time.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Post by system1988 »

http://en.protothema.gr. Third chamber. Behind the Καρυάτιδες. The third wall.Entry :?:
Nikas

Post by Nikas »

Ok, as it appears the time of revelation may almost be upon us I cannot prevaricate any longer and will jump in with my two cents for Agesilaus’s list of candidates. Wild speculation it may be, but let’s have a little fun with this anyways! My first three candidates are on the assumption the dating holds:

1) Nearchus. Proven ties to the area, most likely fabulously wealthy post-conquests, lays low from the wars of the Diadochi in retirement so has the time and ego to build a monumental tomb for himself and family for posterity and to poke the final finger to the eye of that annoying Onesicritus.
2) Roxane and Alexander IV. This one troubles me as the Argeads as a rule (sans-Alexander himself) were always interred in Aegae but perhaps Cassander as their murderer did not want to link them to the official dynasty, Alexander IV being merely the son of a “barbarian” woman. This does not explain why such a magnificent tomb, unless it were originally prepared for someone else who would no longer required?
3) Antigonids.
4) Dating is incorrect. Then it is Philip V. Royalty and known to be buried in Amphipolis and if the Romans did in fact despoil the tomb perhaps it was as a late insult to a monarch that had fought them.
Nikas

Post by Nikas »

One historian has claimed it was meant for Hephaestion....the candidates are coming out of the woodwork now!