Survey at Hymettus

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

system1988
Hetairos (companion)

Survey at Hymettus

Post by system1988 »

[229a] -Plato "Phaedrus"

Socrates
Let us turn aside here and go along the Ilissus; then we can sit down quietly wherever we please.

Phaedrus
I am fortunate, it seems, in being barefoot; you are so always. It is easiest then for us to go along the brook with our feet in the water, and it is not unpleasant, especially at this time of the year and the day.

Socrates
Lead on then, and look out for a good place where we may sit.

Phaedrus
Do you see that very tall plane tree?

Socrates
What of it?

----------------------------------

Two things happened, seemingly irrelevant to one another. I lately read again the very good book "The Charioteer" by Mary Renault that is based in some way on the dialogue above by Plato (Socrates and Phaedrus both sit at Ilissos riverbanks). Secodly, for professional purposes I went on a survey at Ilissos river founts, at Hymettus mountain. We had to find some water-traps, maybe of the clasical era, already found by a previous colleague, but lost again due to the wild vegetation. After we located them we tried to take some decent photos of them, still hard to do. Here are some of them, along with another photo from Hymettus mountain on which actual modern - man made bee hives (Sofocles was said to be as sweet as Hymettus' honey) as well as a small church dedicated to Virgin Marry that dates back to 16th c. AD that may have been built on the foundation of an earlier ancient temple.

Here is the link to the photos

http://s1246.photobucket.com/user/IamSy ... t=3&page=1
Πάντες άνθρωποι του ειδέναι ορέγονται φύσει