"Tame the savageness of man..." Quote

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

"Tame the savageness of man..." Quote

Post by rocktupac »

I'm searching the work of Aeschylus and I can't find this popular and often used quote: "To tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of the world." I've also tried doing a Google search for it and all I can find is its use in a Robert F. Kenendy speech and not the source location. Does anyone know what source this quotation is from?

I greatly appreciate any help!
-Scott B.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: "Tame the savageness of man..." Quote

Post by amyntoros »

Try this thread from a blog called Disinvoltura:

It attributes the quote to Edith Hamilton - something I also saw on other threads. However this one has more information and the blog's author even seeks out Hamilton's sources.

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
rocktupac
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by rocktupac »

amyntoros wrote:Try this thread from a blog called Disinvoltura:

It attributes the quote to Edith Hamilton - something I also saw on other threads. However this one has more information and the blog's author even seeks out Hamilton's sources.

Best regards,
Thank you so much! This was very helpful and answered my questions :D
-Scott B.
guyatree

Post by guyatree »

Screenshot_20181121-090138.png
Screenshot_20181121-090138.png (90 KiB) Viewed 5327 times
FIRST POST

The link "this" is now null. Disinvoltura is closed.

See png screenshot, attached
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

Try this article by Joseph Casazza on jstor.org https://www.jstor.org/stable/4352738?se ... b_contents, which states that rather than being from Aeschylus, this phrase is Edith Hamilton's own, but it was Gilbert Murray who served as her inspiration to combine an inscription at Delphi and a quote from Dionysus of Halicarnassus, De Thucydide 41. In the inscription Athens is praised because she "won mankind from the life of beasts to gentleness". Dionysus's quote describes the Athenians as "they who made gentle the life of the world." The phrase "to tame the savageness of man and make gentle the life of the world" appears to be Edith Hamilton's own, but it was Murray who linked the two original phrases together.