An interesting tidbit - Roxane's tomb?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

An interesting tidbit - Roxane's tomb?

Post by marcus »

Please note that a healthy dose of scepticism is required for this, as emphasised by our friends at RogueClassicism!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Re: An interesting tidbit - Roxane's tomb?

Post by agesilaos »

The sprit of Schliemann is still with us! Seems counter-productive for the Greeks to commence works without funding, conspiracy theorists might see it as a deliberate attempt to draw the West into pouring money into their economy with the lure of a prestige find. That said our money would be much better spent funding Greek manned excavations and new museum sites than being given to the banks or a hamstrung government IMHO
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
job

Post by job »

Smells fishy. When Liani Souvaltzi claimed to have discovered Alexander's tomb Time magazine was going to put the story on their cover but at the 11th hour I got a phone call from their staff - as did Peter Green - and both of us advised them to cancel their plans. Fortunately, for them, they listened.
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

It made it into the Grauniad, inside and not too sceptical; still, they then had the follow-up putting the discovery of Late-Roman rather than early Hellenistic materials to bulk out a slack news day. :D
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

job wrote:Smells fishy. When Liani Souvaltzi claimed to have discovered Alexander's tomb Time magazine was going to put the story on their cover but at the 11th hour I got a phone call from their staff - as did Peter Green - and both of us advised them to cancel their plans. Fortunately, for them, they listened.
"Phew!" I'd say ... :D
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Yes fascinating but who knows? They have found lots of tombs around that area in the past and if there is no real identification it's hard to prove. However, it is a timely 'discovery' for me, considering my novel Shadow of the Lion (which covers the murder) is now in an agent's hands and this kind of publicity draws attention back to that time in history. So we'll just wait and see what comes up next.

I recall a few years back while doing research at Pydna I met the archaeologist who was looking for Olympias's tomb there. He said it would likely just be a 'token' tomb as they believed she may have eventually been buried at Vergina in the royal tombs. But again, at Vergina there are a lot of tombs that they cannot identify properly.