Teacher Seeks Help

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Teacher Seeks Help

Post by marcus »

jan wrote:Hello Marcus, Kay said that her students were 6th and 7th graders and while your suggestions may be fine for a college classroom, I find that to suggest that they read any of the classics to determine what greatness means or whether Alexander deserved to be called great a bit too much for that age student. There is a vast difference in discussing Alexander's history with college students versus 6th grade students. I did not respond entirely to this post simply because I am well aware of the many different books that are made available to children in the juvenile section of the library, and I am sure that Kay may be as well. My point of suggestion was to insure that the students are who do the work in finding any attributes that can be considered "great" rather than have the teacher or an author do it for them. I have no quarrel with discussing the issue of "great" as either the Greeks or the Romans considered it to be or as we in America or any other nation consider it to be. It has become a word that is a cliche.
Hi Jan,

Like I said, I don't know how teaching is done in the US, but to start with the premise that Alexander was "great" and simply to ask students to find evidence to support that statement would be considered a very poor way of teaching History here.

Anyway, I am not entirely clear what you are proposing here, now. I didn't advocate giving the students a list of attributes that can be considered "great" - they can do that themselves. They would need more information given to them about what the ancients considered to be "great", however.

As for the source evidence - no, the students cannot be expected to read all the sources in order to find their evidence, but that isn't what I said, either.

Anyway, it's a bit of a pointless argument. I know how I would teach it, and it would be considered very poor pedagogy to say "Hey kids, Alexander was great, so go find me some evidence to support this."
jan wrote:But for sixth and seventh grade students, I don't think that there would be much interest in his godlike state of being. This century has developed an attitude towards gods and goddesses that is totally different from that of Alexander's time.
Actually, although I know what you are saying in terms of the secularisation of the modern world, in my experience I tend to find that this is exactly the sort of thing that my students find fascinating. But I would not want to generalise about all 11-12 year olds.
jan wrote:Most young students know how to use the internet very well, and there is no doubt that the internet is loaded with information about Alexander. My point is that the student learns best who finds those materials for himself.
Two things here, one of which touches on what I have been trying (obviously unsuccessfully) to say already. First, most young students know how to use the internet, indeed; it is also a very sad fact that most young students - including much older ones than we are talking about here - do not yet know how to sift through the junk and find good information on the internet. To send students off simply to find information on the internet teaches them nothing. The whole point of teaching History is to give them skills, and at 11-12 years old they need to be reading sources, not the Internet.

Secondly, this all depends on what the student is trying to learn. What you are talking about here is all very well for 7-9 year olds: "go and find me three facts about Alexander the Great". At 11-12 they are beyond that type of task which is, to be honest, rather pointless. They need to be learning to construct arguments by looking at both sides, making judgements, and expressing that judgement with clear and thought-out reference to source evidence.

That's what I do with the 11-12 year olds that I teach, and they are perfectly capable of it.
jan wrote:I do not know how debate and argument is taught in England, but in America, we use Robert's Rule of Order and we also learn that for any argument, one must have evidence to support the argument. If one argues that Alexander is great, then one must have evidence to support that argument. However, as the saying goes even on Pothos. I will not do your homework for you.
Indeed. And sending students off to look at the internet will provide an awful lot of bad evidence. And what you advocated had no element of debate in it - you just said that they should find the evidence to support a statement.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Hi Marcus,

As soon as I had finished writing my remarks, I had to admit to myself that it has been many years since I have been in the classroom, so that I am certain that some methods have changed a lot through the years. I was very deeply suspicious of the original post since it was from a middle school teacher. For that reason alone, I did not respond at first. A calculated risk on my part. I taught at the senior high school level, from freshman through senior years, and that makes a lot of difference in terms of expectations for students. At the particular school that I taught we had many students who had been passed though they were still tested as being at the fourth grade reading level. So age and classroom level are dependent upon a lot of factors.

It is always difficult to respond to a generalization. For years I had a small sign in my room which said "It is hard to be humble when you are as great as I am." That is why I sometimes question the term "great". It is an effort at humor but a nice gift to me from a close friend.

And so today when I received a tweet through Twitter from Writer's Digest about writing for middle school students, naturally, red bells went off, and I thought, uh oh, that sounds vaguely familiar. Lit Agent Mary Kole @kid_Lit is teaching a new webinar on young adult and middle grade writing (free critique) tinyurl.com/3kstz9w.

So what the heck, it is a small world...everyone is simultaneously involved in the same thoughts apparently....Just joshing maybe...?
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Plus, unbeknownst to you, I am trying to wrap up my own book on Alexander, which is possibly for many ages, can't say for sure, as it covers a lot of territory, but since it is about his childhood, I am sure that some teenagers may be interested in it. It is pretty earthy at times. But you see I wrote this off the cuff, at the top of my head, and thus, it has only been in first draft stage, but because I accomplished the task of delivering 50,000 words, now up to 75,000 words, I am still receiving information from the sponsoring company that I can get a free book published. That deadline date is this week and I am having to decide whether to go that route or wait it out to improve upon it, or rush it as quickly as I can...and get the free book.

I attended a workshop this weekend to listen to a published authoress discuss her rewards from becoming an accomplished author regular way, with agent, publisher, etc., but the ebook method has its rewards as well. So I have been cussing at my computer all daylong as I try to get my book put together so that I can now refine and polish it and determine direction for it. Fortunately, my computer is holding up while I am falling apart. I am simply trying to get it on a flashdrive but having so much trouble doing that one simple thing that frankly this day is for the birds...I will be sure to get it done asap in the morrow, and maybe even get another copy printed at kinko once more.

At kinko I learned that I can even turn it into a book there. The point is that I want the right publisher to market it and I learned a lot at that workshop about marketing problems.

I am convinced it is a great book,that word again...I once owned the full volume of GREAT books, but I really like this book...it has been fun to do, and I gained a lot from it...if only I can decide, to send to Amazon's Create Space in two days or to keep and improve...Quick! So....that is where I am at this writing...ready to scream at computers!
spitamenes
Hetairos (companion)

Post by spitamenes »

Instead of asking "Why was Alexander 'great'?". Would it be more appropriate to ask "why was Alexander Considered to be Great?". And I know I've brought this book up before with mixed thoughts but I believe Michael Woods "In the Footsteps of Alexander the Great" would be a good one for this age group and subject. Its a very colorfully written book, has lots of Photos and though it does not immediately answer why he was considered Great, it gives information sufficient for one to make they're own Judgment on the topic. And it grabs you right from the start with a story of the "Kalash" people of the Afghan mountains suspected of being direct descendants of Alexanders army and the native people who were there when they came through. Just my thoughts....
Best of luck!
Spitamenes
Vermillion Phoenix

Post by Vermillion Phoenix »

With great interest (and fascination) I have read your thoughtful comments about developing a curriculum for 6th graders on Alexander the Great. I must humbly apologize for my monthlong absence on your forum. I got side-tracked with the start of school and also with reading so many of the books and websites that many of you so helpfully suggested. It's a lousy excuse. Yet I'm deeply grateful for your thoughts and help. Once again, I realize why I'm consigned to teaching sixth grade as I don't quite have the stamina required of a true academic.
The topic of "greatness" is challenging, and I tend to agree that if I direct my students to a general outline of Alexander's life, they'll recount the "facts" back in a sort of formulaic way. A discussion of "what is greatness?" seems essential, but it would be a complex question for 6th graders and use up time we don't honestly have. It turns out that the State of Maryland has some exemplary curriculum units online, and one of them actually asks students to define whether Alexander was indeed "great." It's straightforward and probably a good lesson plan. So now, I have to redirect my efforts and start off in a new direction.

Since the spread of Greek culture (through art, architecture, language, and settlements) is evidence of the positive aspects of Alexander's conquests, I have a new idea. I'm working on a project-based unit where the entire class "designs" an Alexandria that reflects the influences during the two hundred or so years that followed. Students will still need to learn about the life (and legend) of Alexander, but I think the focus on the opening of trade routes and the idea of being the first "Internationalist" seems significant. I have many images of Greek settlements in Turkey (places where Alexander went) that can be used to show Greek ideals of art and architecture. I think the students will learn a lot about how ideas travel along trade routes. The blend of Greek, Persian, and Indian styles throughout the Near East all the way to Pakistan and India is quite interesting. Since the students study ancient India and Persia, this seems to be a good way to tie some of these places together. I'm half afraid to tell you this, because it's such a preliminary idea. Oh well, fire away!
By the way, I really think kids will enjoy the book "Alexander the Great Rocks the World." Thank you for that suggestion! Also Michael Woods' book on Alexander is very helpful along the lines I'm now heading. I purchased a beautiful book "Alexander the Great, Son of the Gods" by Alan Fildes & Joanne Fletcher which has loads of images helpful to this art/archaeology idea. An older book "Flames Over Persepolis" by Mortimer Wheeler should be useful as well.

By the way, some of you might know the book "AG: Journey to the End of the Earth" by Norman Cantor. The last chapter is "How 'Great' was Alexander?" It was quite interesting for me to read, but it also made me realize how very complex the concept is. I'm sort of relieved to change course.

Thank you so very much for your serious, thoughtful, insightful, challenging, and helpful comments. I'm sorry I disappeared for so long.
Warm regards.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Vermillion Phoenix wrote: I have many images of Greek settlements in Turkey (places where Alexander went) that can be used to show Greek ideals of art and architecture. I think the students will learn a lot about how ideas travel along trade routes. The blend of Greek, Persian, and Indian styles throughout the Near East all the way to Pakistan and India is quite interesting. Since the students study ancient India and Persia, this seems to be a good way to tie some of these places together. I'm half afraid to tell you this, because it's such a preliminary idea. Oh well, fire away!
It sounds as if you've been doing a lot of thinking about this unit - I hope all our comments didn't dismay you too much! :D

I only have a few minutes to post at the moment, so perhaps I can just comment on the section of your post above. Just a warning, really, to be a bit careful aboutthe sites in Turkey - although many of them started off as Greek sites, most were significantly re-built by the Romans, and therefore relatively little of the original Greek sites remain. The broad idea, however, is a good one.

I've been to many of the sites in Turkey. If you have any questions about them, or perhaps want some more photographs, please don't hesitate to get in touch - use the private message facility if you wish. If I can help out in any way, just say so!

All the best
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Good change of emphasis; I have never really got on with 'greatness' as a concept. However, rather than assume the superiority of Hellenistic culture I think it would pay to look at the values of the cultures that were ultimately subsumed by hellenism achaemenid culture seems to warrent more respect than our helleno-centric viewpoint suggests, and then there are the Thracians, Bactrians, etc; this must be the side effect of our coalition government, I am a hard boiled eurocentric but appear to have gone liberal! :shock:
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:Good change of emphasis; I have never really got on with 'greatness' as a concept. However, rather than assume the superiority of Hellenistic culture I think it would pay to look at the values of the cultures that were ultimately subsumed by hellenism achaemenid culture seems to warrent more respect than our helleno-centric viewpoint suggests, and then there are the Thracians, Bactrians, etc; this must be the side effect of our coalition government, I am a hard boiled eurocentric but appear to have gone liberal! :shock:
I know what you mean. I don't particularly have a problem with greatness as a concept, but it is so subjective. Having said that, it is a good concept for students, because overall we are trying to teach them to construct arguments and deliver considered judgements; so, as long as they have sufficient impartial evidence, it's a good way to allow them to demonstrate their reasoning skills.

One of the biggest problems is that, at least before university level, they have such a narrow field of knowledge that they can never *really* do justice to such a question. This is where your point about the other cultures is valid, but difficult for students to access.

If I use my early modern history example again - we ask our students whether Henry VIII was a "great English king". We ask them to consider (a) his marriages, (b) his break from the Catholic Church, and (c) the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Clearly those aren't the only things against which he *should* be judged; and as you can imagine the students don't know *nearly* enough about the Reformation movement really to be able to discuss the creation of the Church of England. However, just focusing on those three things with limited knowledge allows them to demonstrate their reasoning skills, which is what we are after.

How lovely it would be to be able to teach Thracian, Illyrian, Greek, Macedonian, Persian, Phrygian, Egyptian, Indian, etc. etc. cultures in sufficient detail (sigh!) :(

As for your becoming more liberal, I laughed. Unfortunately, I think I am becoming more conservative! (You should have heard my rants after the riots in August!)

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

Yes alot depends on which aspects you teach, for me Henry is the debasement of the coinage, eternal but justified paranoia and futile French adventurism. With the excavation of Seuthopolis there ought to be plenty to sat about the hellenisation of the Odrysai which would provide a contrast to the Seleuko-Ptolemaic slant to which these discussions almost inevitably succumb.

I regret to report that I am restricted to short posts for six weeks as I managed to get hit by a car and shatter the distall end of my humerus Gods be praised I can raise a pint with my left hand; doubt I could have got over the debacle against France else :(
When you think about, it free-choice is the only possible option.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:I regret to report that I am restricted to short posts for six weeks as I managed to get hit by a car and shatter the distall end of my humerus Gods be praised I can raise a pint with my left hand; doubt I could have got over the debacle against France else :(
Ouch! Poor thing. I hope you're back to normal soon. Thank goodness you were able to numb the pain of the resumption of the Hundred Years' War! :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Alexias
Strategos (general)

Post by Alexias »

agesilaos wrote:I regret to report that I am restricted to short posts for six weeks as I managed to get hit by a car and shatter the distall end of my humerus Gods be praised I can raise a pint with my left hand; doubt I could have got over the debacle against France else :(
You have my total sympathies. I hope you are not in too much pain. Having spent 8 weeks in plaster this summer (from which I still haven't fully recovered), I know what medieval torture they are.

On the educational front, I'm not qualified to judge but there does seem a lot to be said for teaching a subject with the principal aim of increasing the child's knowledge, rather than using the subject as an educational means to an end. Whilst there is a huge amount to be said for teaching children to think for themselves, there is a danger that if too much emphasis is placed on self-expression and personal development, the acquisition of knowledge can get lost. Facts learnt at 12, because the mind is still so impressionable, can stay with a person for life. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but i would have thought 12 year olds would be more interested in finding out what life in Alexander's world was like than in trying to quantify an abstract concept such as why he was 'great'.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Alexias wrote:On the educational front, I'm not qualified to judge but there does seem a lot to be said for teaching a subject with the principal aim of increasing the child's knowledge, rather than using the subject as an educational means to an end. Whilst there is a huge amount to be said for teaching children to think for themselves, there is a danger that if too much emphasis is placed on self-expression and personal development, the acquisition of knowledge can get lost.
Not so much "self-expression", but the teaching of skills (so I agree with "personal development"). And I have to say that we are doing more to teach students how to use the skills of a historian than I was ever taught when I was a student myself. If we had unlimited time, then we could aim for the widening of their knowledge ad infinitum ... but alas we are constrained. I always try to impart as much simple knowledge as I can, of course, but at the end of the day I have "progression data" to supply ...
Facts learnt at 12, because the mind is still so impressionable, can stay with a person for life. Maybe I'm old-fashioned, but i would have thought 12 year olds would be more interested in finding out what life in Alexander's world was like than in trying to quantify an abstract concept such as why he was 'great'.
Yes, you would have thought so, wouldn't you? Still, that's educational theory for you ... :D

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
the_accursed
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by the_accursed »

agesilaos wrote:Yes alot depends on which aspects you teach, for me Henry is the debasement of the coinage, eternal but justified paranoia and futile French adventurism. With the excavation of Seuthopolis there ought to be plenty to sat about the hellenisation of the Odrysai which would provide a contrast to the Seleuko-Ptolemaic slant to which these discussions almost inevitably succumb.

I regret to report that I am restricted to short posts for six weeks as I managed to get hit by a car and shatter the distall end of my humerus Gods be praised I can raise a pint with my left hand; doubt I could have got over the debacle against France else :(
Maybe it's a pothosian curse. I too got hit by a car - yesterday, when I was walking to my job. I was luckier than you though. I didn't break anything, only feel a bit like I've been beaten up. Suddenly tumbling around on the hood of a car is a bizarre experience I hope I'll never have again.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

the_accursed wrote:Maybe it's a pothosian curse. I too got hit by a car - yesterday, when I was walking to my job. I was luckier than you though. I didn't break anything, only feel a bit like I've been beaten up. Suddenly tumbling around on the hood of a car is a bizarre experience I hope I'll never have again.
Crikes! Glad you weren't badly hurt, and hope you're OK.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Rubén Alejandro

Post by Rubén Alejandro »

I think the size of his ideals , should be meassured ,
as one main point in which to consider him great .

Alejandro -