"a eunuch can get angry"

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Phaedo

"a eunuch can get angry"

Post by Phaedo »

Hi all,

I’ve been reading this forum for four years. Now I have a question to ask:

I recently came across a literary sentence that ended with “… but even a eunuch can get angry.”
That did strike me as a bit odd. It’s as if saying “but even a coffee can be black”.
I used to always perceive eunuchs as angry, vengeful people somewhat, given their circumstances, inability to sire an heir, have a family/dynasty of their own… But I might be wrong all together.
What do you think? Does that part of the sentence read odd to you?
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Maybe its all to do with gender stereotypes and common misconceptions tying these cultural constructs to biology. Perhaps the author imagines anger to be a "masculine" emotion and has trouble envisaging a eunuch having the cojones to feel something oh-so manly? Maybe done with a touch of irony? :)
Phaedo

Post by Phaedo »

Ah, yes. Thank you so much. I judged it habitually from a strictly historical perspective. I needed to look at it in a broader context. Yes, you are right. Thanks, really!
Phaedo

Re: "a eunuch can get angry"

Post by Phaedo »

*.......* , wrong forum perhaps? :)

(Edited by moderator)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: "a eunuch can get angry"

Post by amyntoros »

Phaedo wrote:*.......* , wrong forum perhaps? :)

(Edited by moderator)
No, Phaedo, just an irritant (i.e., Spam). I deleted his posts this morning and Thomas should be removing his membership shortly, but I edited his member name out of your post in the meantime. I'm not in the mood to give him any further publicity. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor