Did Alexander kill Memnon?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

aleksandros
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Did Alexander kill Memnon?

Post by aleksandros »

What chances do you give for Alexander having ordered the murder of Memnon? (if there was a murder at all)
Last edited by aleksandros on Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Did Alexander kill Memnon?

Post by marcus »

aleksandros wrote:What changes to you give for Alexander having ordered the murder of Memnon? (if there was a murder at all)
I don't think there's any suggestion that Memnon was murdered, is there?

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
agesilaos
Strategos (general)

Post by agesilaos »

'No suggestion of murder' need not mean that murder has not been committed, merely that it has been done subtely. However, Memnon's death seems to have come as a surprise to both Alexander and Darius, it would seem more likely that he died of illness; there was no change in strategy which might suggest a Persian murder, and his fellow commanders seem to have been on good terms with him. Cui bono? Pharnabazos, who gained his command, was his nephew and Memnon appointed him, there is really no reason to suspect murder.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

agesilaos wrote:'No suggestion of murder' need not mean that murder has not been committed, merely that it has been done subtely. However, Memnon's death seems to have come as a surprise to both Alexander and Darius, it would seem more likely that he died of illness; there was no change in strategy which might suggest a Persian murder, and his fellow commanders seem to have been on good terms with him. Cui bono? Pharnabazos, who gained his command, was his nephew and Memnon appointed him, there is really no reason to suspect murder.
True - but where did this come from in the first place?

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ScottOden
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by ScottOden »

I'm not 100% certain but I think this is a modern conspiracy theory. The first mention I ever found of Memnon's end possibly being murder (with the suspects being the rival satraps of Persia) was in this article: McCoy, W. J. “Memnon of Rhodes at the Granicus.” American Journal of Philology, vol. 110, 1989, pp. 413-433. I honestly don't know if the notion reaches back into antiquity or not.

Best,

Scott
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

ScottOden wrote:I'm not 100% certain but I think this is a modern conspiracy theory. The first mention I ever found of Memnon's end possibly being murder (with the suspects being the rival satraps of Persia) was in this article: McCoy, W. J. “Memnon of Rhodes at the Granicus.” American Journal of Philology, vol. 110, 1989, pp. 413-433. I honestly don't know if the notion reaches back into antiquity or not.

Best,

Scott
Hi Scott,

Indeed. The first I ever heard of the "possibility" that Memnon was murdered was in one of the execrable Paul Doherty books. There was no thought of it in antiquity.

Still, some people can't accept that people could have died before their time of natural causes, so have to invent murder to explain it ...

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK