Original statue of Alexander was found, built by Lysippos

Discuss the culture of Alexander's world and his image in art

Moderator: pothos moderators

Cyrus Shahmiri
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: To Cyrus,

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

jan wrote:Thanks for the link to Iran, and I notice that the statue is used in your post to introduce us to Iran. May I ask why you believe that this statue is made by Lysippos?
You are welcome, the original statue of Alexander could be made just by Lysippos, don't you think so?
jan
Strategos (general)

Trailer for Seven Faces of Iran

Post by jan »

Hello Cyrus,

An original statue could have probably been made by any sculptor who felt as though he wanted to make one, but the official and accepted that Alexander approved would have been probably Lysippus. I believe that this particular work reminds me of the famous one of Agamemnon also. A little at least to my way of seeing it so far.

I did look up Farzin Regaeian and found the following link as a trailer to the Seven Faces of Iran. It is www.sunrisefilmco.com/images/demo1.swf. I enjoyed seeing this trailer very much and wish I could have seen both the presentation at UCLA and the other presentation of the Recreation of Persepolis which was shown at the Library of Congress in 2004.

I have purchased a great book about the artifacts of Susa, and I wonder if some of the recreations include Susa also. I am very impressed with this study and I learned that one can purchase the film and all that accompanies it for a cost of $97. When I am able to afford to buy this film and study I will try to do so.

Thank you so much for your bringing this information to Pothos where I could find it now. I find it just positively beautiful to consider and respect you so much for sharing it with us now.

Yours very truly,

Jan
Cyrus Shahmiri

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

I have purchased a great book about the artifacts of Susa, and I wonder if some of the recreations include Susa also. I am very impressed with this study and I learned that one can purchase the film and all that accompanies it for a cost of $97. When I am able to afford to buy this film and study I will try to do so.
Yes, the first part (first face) is mostly about Susa, for example this is a recreation of ancient Statue of Queen Napirasu, wife of King Untash-Napirisha:

http://oznet.net/iran/napirasu.htm

14th Century BC Statue of Queen Napir-Asu of Elam
found in 1903, temple of Ninhursag, Susa (Shoush), it weighs 3760 pounds (1705 kg)
Last edited by Cyrus Shahmiri on Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I imagine, Cyrus, that this digression means you have no evidence for your claim this is an original Alexanander by Lysippos?

You have been thunderously silent when it comes to hard facts.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Cyrus Shahmiri

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

I said everything I knew about this statue and no one has given any reason that it couldn't be an original Alexanander by Lysippos.

As I said it is very important to know where it has been found, if it was found in Syria or even in Iraq, it could be a Roman statue but Romans never reached east of Khuzistan and it sounds impossible if you say Parthians or Persians erected a statue of their enemy (Romans) in their own country.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Cyrus Shahmiri wrote:I said everything I knew about this statue and no one has given any reason that it couldn't be an original Alexanander by Lysippos.

As I said it is very important to know where it has been found, if it was found in Syria or even in Iraq, it could be a Roman statue but Romans never reached east of Khuzistan and it sounds impossible if you say Parthians or Persians erected a statue of their enemy (Romans) in their own country.
I'll try not to be quite as blunt as Paralus here, Cyrus ... :)

First, it really is up to you, who introduced the thread and the picture, to explain why you described it so confidently as an original Lysippos. We have all by now given plenty of reasons why it might not be, but to be honest we haven't seen any evidence to suggest that it is. So the ball is in your court, I'm afraid. One does not prove one provenance by failing to produce evidence against it.

Second, I don't think anyone has suggested that it is Roman, although it is true that some (including myself) have said that it looks like some very famous portraits of Romans. But no-one has suggested that it isn't Hellenistic - merely questioned whether it is really a Lysippos Alexander. And that, ultimately, is what we are still waiting to see ... evidence that it is as you say.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Cyrus Shahmiri

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

marcus,

Dr. Parviz Behnam, one of the greatest Iranian archaeologists, has written a book titled "Bronze Statue of Alexander", just about this statue (Published by Sokhan Publications, Tehran, 1953), you can find several evidences there.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Cyrus Shahmiri wrote:marcus,

Dr. Parviz Behnam, one of the greatest Iranian archaeologists, has written a book titled "Bronze Statue of Alexander", just about this statue (Published by Sokhan Publications, Tehran, 1953), you can find several evidences there.
I don't think WE will find the evidence there, unfortunately. A book published in Tehran over 50 years ago is almost impossible to find (in the U.S. anyway). I've searched every database that I know of and didn't get a hit for either the author or the title.

You must have the book if you know the contents. Why not give us some quotes from it where he proves that the bronze is by Lysippus?

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

I fail to see the point in further debate Amyntoros: this entire thread has been akin to asking how long is a piece of string...err, thread.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Cyrus Shahmiri

Post by Cyrus Shahmiri »

You can't find everything just on the web, I myself don't have this book but I think I can find it in our university library.
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Cyrus Shahmiri wrote:You can't find everything just on the web, I myself don't have this book but I think I can find it in our university library.
We all know how true that is ... but the point is that we haven't been given any pointers to find "it" anywhere!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK