Help with a Greek Word

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

ScottOden
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Help with a Greek Word

Post by ScottOden »

Hi All,

While not Alexander-related, I was wondering if I could get a little help in coming up with a word in ancient Greek? In English, it needs to mean some permutation of 'the dwellers beneath'. I understand 'troglodyte' (in Greek) is fairly close, but I'm trying to avoid using that word because of its more modern connotations. The word itself is something I'm going to use to represent a fictional people who are thought to be mythologically descended from Phorcys and Ceto (who, according to Hesiod I think, also gave birth to the Graiai, the Gorgons, the Harpies, and the dragon Ladon, who guarded the Gardens of the Hesperides); these people will dwell in Cyrene/Libya. Any help would be much appreciated!

Best wishes for the New Year!

Scott
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Troglodytes come from the Greek word "Τρωγλοδυτες" (plural) which are the people that have a primitive social level, living in caves and holes that they dig by themselves, and have also primitive customs. "Τρώγλη" (trogli) is the little cave or hole that they used as homes, and also can be used metaphorically to describe a very poor and small house. "Δυτες" (dytes) means divers. So, troglodytes are these who go into these small holes, like the diver dives in the sea.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Efstathios wrote:Troglodytes come from the Greek word "Τρωγλοδυτες" (plural) which are the people that have a primitive social level, living in caves and holes that they dig by themselves, and have also primitive customs. "Τρώγλη" (trogli) is the little cave or hole that they used as homes, and also can be used metaphorically to describe a very poor and small house. "Δυτες" (dytes) means divers. So, troglodytes are these who go into these small holes, like the diver dives in the sea.
Unfortunately, as Scott pointed out, the word troglodyte in English usage has unpleasant conotations. Some modern, alternative dictionary definitions are "A person considered to be reclusive, reactionary, out of date, or brutish; An anthropoid ape, such as a gorilla or chimpanzee. In other words, if one wanted to insult, say, a huge muscular man with no brains and an inclination to bully then one might call him a "troglodyte". It would be the same as calling him an "ape". I think that is why Scott doesn't want to use the word to describe his fictional peoples and is looking for an alternative Greek word with similar meaning to the ancient definition that is less of an insult to readers of English. Any suggestions, Stathi?

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Callisto

Re: Help with a Greek Word

Post by Callisto »

ScottOden wrote:Hi All,

While not Alexander-related, I was wondering if I could get a little help in coming up with a word in ancient Greek? In English, it needs to mean some permutation of 'the dwellers beneath'. I understand 'troglodyte' (in Greek) is fairly close, but I'm trying to avoid using that word because of its more modern connotations. The word itself is something I'm going to use to represent a fictional people who are thought to be mythologically descended from Phorcys and Ceto (who, according to Hesiod I think, also gave birth to the Graiai, the Gorgons, the Harpies, and the dragon Ladon, who guarded the Gardens of the Hesperides); these people will dwell in Cyrene/Libya. Any help would be much appreciated!

Best wishes for the New Year!

Scott
Hi,

You could use instead the word "Spilaiovios" (GR: Σπηλαιόβιος --->[σπήλαιον + βιώ]). having the meaning 'someone who lives in a cave'.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Another world would be "chthonic". From the Greek word "χθόνιος" or "υποχθόνιος" , which means he who is underground. The word was used for deities who were chthonic, like Pluto, and is still used today in urban legends for people of the underworld, the hollow earth theory and all that. Metaphorically the word "ypochthonios" is also used to indicate a person that acts deviously. But i think it is a good word to describe people that live underground in caves.
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Thanks Efstathios, Amyntoros, and Callisto!

"Spilaiovios" and "cthonic" are both good choices (though I don't read Greek so I can't make out what "cthonic" is in Greek). Now, what would the plural of these be? Not 'someone who lives in caves' but ' many someones who live in caves'?

Thanks!

Scott
Phoebus

Post by Phoebus »

Χθονιοι or Υποχθονιοι.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

And in the latin alphabet, chthonioi, or chthonian people.

You can also use both words, like the spilaiovioi that are also known as the chthonian people. Ore use whichever sounds good to you.
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Hey, thanks all!

I believe I'm going to go with "Chthonioi". It has a harsher sound to it, which fits with the theme of the story I'm writing. Thanks, again!

Best,

Scott