The Great

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jasonxx

The Great

Post by jasonxx »

Im wondering if the definition is primarily European. Pro Roman days.

Maybe the Romans were the first to call him the great. If not then if it was later European. Would Alexander have still been called Alexander The Great. If his conquests did include Europe.

if The Romans had Conquered only the Middle east outward. Would Ceasar etc be labeled great?
Vergina Sun
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Re: The Great

Post by Vergina Sun »

jasonxx wrote:Im wondering if the definition is primarily European. Pro Roman days.

Maybe the Romans were the first to call him the great. If not then if it was later European. Would Alexander have still been called Alexander The Great. If his conquests did include Europe.

if The Romans had Conquered only the Middle east outward. Would Ceasar etc be labeled great?
An interesting thought - had Alexander gone elsewhere, would he still be known as great? I think it would be very hard to say. Had he not been driven towards Asia, perhaps his dreams and ambitions would have gone elsewhere. I'm not trying to take this off topic, but if Alexander had been born to a farmer, would he still have wanted to conquer the world? Alexander was greatly influenced by the people around him - especially his parents. If Alexander had not been born as a possible heir to the Macedonian throne, maybe we wouldn't be here discussing him.

If Alexander did go in Europe, I would like to still think of him as great. Had he done the same feats, I would still respect him, regardless of where he went. Yes, the Europeans might have had biast thoughts, but his actions can't be easily disputed. Alexander wouldn't have faded, though. We must remember that great and good don't always mean the same thing. I suppose Alexander would have been great even if he went against Europe. After all, powerful Asian countries also have some respect for him. That is only my humble opinion, though.
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The Great

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:Im wondering if the definition is primarily European. Pro Roman days.

Well, we call him "the Great" because the Romans did. Perhaps if they hadn't, he would still be "Alexander of Macedon" to us. Perhaps some later writer would have given him the soubriquet, and we would call him it now.

I think it has more to do with the legacy of the Romans than on the geographical area he conquered.

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Interesting point marcus... So thereforre why were no Romans made Great?

Kenny
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:Interesting point marcus... So thereforre why were no Romans made Great?

Kenny
Pompey called himself "Great" - Pompeius Magnus - and his soldiers, and everyone else in Rome, were "encouraged" to do so, too. This was Pompey's attempt to emulate himself on Alexander, of course.

Remember, also, that the Romans often celebrated their people with more specific names (can't remember whether these are the cognomens or other -nomens). One of the most famous examples would be Scipio Africanus.

It would have required the Romans to call someone "the Great"; they preferred, I suppose, to be a little more specific in their praise, rather than vague! :)

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK