Reasons why Alexander was great?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

Vergina Sun
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Reasons why Alexander was great?

Post by Vergina Sun »

I found this site that lists their top 10 reasons why Alexander was great. Do you agree or disagree? This site can be found at http://www.top100lists.net/history/top- ... great.html
aleksandros

Post by aleksandros »

Alexander after conquering Susa, Persepolis, Ecbatana became the single most rich person in the world and of all times (taking account of the gold in Alexander's hands to the gold collected all over the world at that time).

I think that every single one of us if ever was given such an amound of money comparing to total world's wealth would never risk his life for the rest of his life. Alexander did risk it since Ecbatana big time! To him glory worthed more than all the money in the world and he proved it with his life. That's why i think he was great.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

I have no idea what makes anyone caled Great as I have problems with.

Why Herod The Great
Peter The great
Kathryn The Great
And Alfred The Great.

And

Ghengis
Julius Ceasar Augustus
Hannibal
Saladin
Mae Tse Tung
not Great

I would say Alexander The Great. But more in the mould of a legend. and as with been in love etc and Genius its something near impossible to define.

kenny
rjones2818

Alexander was first.

Post by rjones2818 »

From my understanding, Alexander was the first to be called the Great (I've read that he was called the Invincible while he was alive). Look to Alexander and decide what may make him great and see if any of the others match up. I personally think everybody else pales in comparison.

:twisted:
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Depends on your point of view. How well Known in the far east . China japan etc is Alexander known as the Great.

Just about all nations in the west Know Ghengis Khan. His impact with first the Monguls and Tartars stretched much farther than Alexanders spread Eastward.

Its a them and us issue to the East Id say Ghengis was Great. Im not sure but is Khan a word for Great. I dont think he fades into insignificance at all compared to Alexander.

Kenny
aleksandros

Post by aleksandros »

The greek word used was Megas (ΜΕΓΑΣ). I don't think that 'Great' is an acurate translation of the greek word.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Alexander was first.

Post by Semiramis »

rjones2818 wrote:
From my understanding, Alexander was the first to be called the Great (I've read that he was called the Invincible while he was alive). Look to Alexander and decide what may make him great and see if any of the others match up. I personally think everybody else pales in comparison.

What about Cyrus the Great or Darius the Great? Was that done in later years by historians? After Alexander's death? Or during their own lifetimes? I'm just trying to think of "Greats" the Greeks and Macedonians may have been aware of. :)
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

alexanthros wrote:The greek word used was Megas (ΜΕΓΑΣ). I don't think that 'Great' is an acurate translation of the greek word.
Hi Alexanthros,

That's interesting. What would be a better translation?

Best,
Alejandro

PS: though the Greek word may be itself an inaccurate translation of the Latin original -as it is broadly accepted that Alexander was first labelled as "Great" (or whatever other similar word) by the Romans.
aleksandros

Post by aleksandros »

alejandro wrote:
alexanthros wrote:The greek word used was Megas (ΜΕΓΑΣ). I don't think that 'Great' is an acurate translation of the greek word.
Hi Alexanthros,

That's interesting. What would be a better translation?

Best,
Alejandro

PS: though the Greek word may be itself an inaccurate translation of the Latin original -as it is broadly accepted that Alexander was first labelled as "Great" (or whatever other similar word) by the Romans.
And what was the word used by Romans? Was it different than the greek one at first place? Greek was spoken widely among the educated Roman world.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

I dont know what the roman word was, and if it was roman indeed, but the word "Great" as for "Megas" is an accurate translation. It refers to size, like "big" or "gigantic", but is also used in the same time to depict the greatness of something. For example, " mega katorthoma" = great achievement.
rjones2818

Post by rjones2818 »

jasonxx wrote:Depends on your point of view. How well Known in the far east . China japan etc is Alexander known as the Great.

Just about all nations in the west Know Ghengis Khan. His impact with first the Monguls and Tartars stretched much farther than Alexanders spread Eastward.

Its a them and us issue to the East Id say Ghengis was Great. Im not sure but is Khan a word for Great. I dont think he fades into insignificance at all compared to Alexander.

Kenny
Not that the Alexander Romance is historically accurate, but the five (I think) main versions spread across the 'old' world to the point that there were some 80 versions in various different languages. Alexander was known in the east as well as the west, and he was known as the great.

Callisto

Post by Callisto »

alexanthros wrote:
And what was the word used by Romans? Was it different than the greek one at first place? Greek was spoken widely among the educated Roman world.
The word was Magno. For example Curtius Rufus wrote "Historiae Alexandri Magni".
alejandro

Post by alejandro »

Callisto wrote:
alexanthros wrote:
The word was Magno. For example Curtius Rufus wrote "Historiae Alexandri Magni".
Indeed, that is the word that I was thinking of. But since I don't know Latin or Greek, I thought that the Latin Magno, the Greek Megas and the English Great conveyed the same idea of greatness, as suggested by Efstathios. In any case, it is widely accepted that Alexander was first called Great (Magno) by the Romans, and that is why I suggested that the reason behind the use of the Greek Megas may have been simply the result of a literal (or not so literal) translation from the original Latin. Only guessing though.

Alexanthros, if you still think that an adjective other than Megas should be used, could you provide it?

By the way, I was re-reading Renault's Nature of Alexander, and she says that ATG's name and that of his uncle A. of Epiros are written differently in Greek. I was wondering if Alexanthros and Alexandros are these two variants. Can anyone help?

Best,
Alejandro
aleksandros

Post by aleksandros »

Everyone who speaks English and Greek knows that it is impossible for every adjectice or word in general to have an accurate counterpart in the other languge.
The best i can provide is that the greek adjective ΜΕΓΑΣ (ΜΕΓΑ when not reffering to a masculine or feminine subject) is described better with the english word MEGA than GREAT. If MEGA was not just refering to size but to valor and accomplishment as well (like in GREAT) it would almost be the word we are looking for.

About the 'Alexanthros' thing:

in Greek Alexander is written ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ.
In modern Greek the letter delta (Δ) is pronounced 'th' like in 'this'.
Many glossologists believe that in ancient Greek the letter delta was pronounced as the latin 'D'.
Even today this bipronounciation exists. some say Alexandros and others Alexanthros verbally. But there is only one way to be writen and thats ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ.
ΤΩ ΚΡΑΤΕΡΩ
jan
Strategos (general)

Bob Costas of NBC

Post by jan »

once said during the Olympic Games when held in Greece, Alexander the Not So Great! I had to laugh at that. What was he saying anyway? :lol:

Greatness is a matter of opinion, by essentially it is usually measured by the amount of real good that a person has accomplished in his life.

Did Alexander do good in his journeys? Did he do evil?

That is all a matter of opinion, according to the story teller, but to my mind, it is apparent that in today's world, there are a variety of opinions.

I believe that Alexander accomplished much good for the Hellenic cause, and for the Greek-Macedonian cause. He accomplished his own personal goals, and his belief in his mission was dictated by his belief in his own Divinity. He did good! Thus, he is Great!