A Bit of Shameless Self-Promo

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

ScottOden
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

A Bit of Shameless Self-Promo

Post by ScottOden »

Hi All,

I've been lurking for the most part, but I thought I'd step out for a time-honored bit of horn tooting :) If you live in the UK, parts of the EU, SA or Aus, then beginning August 1st my novel Memnon should be available in bookstores.

From the back cover:
In the 4th century BC, the Mediterranean and Western Asia were riven by strife and slaughter. Out of the chaos strode a warrior who would becomeone of the great soldiers and statesmen of his time, who came to symbolize hope, but who is now all but lost to history.

His name was Memnon of Rhodes.

Through the deathbed recollections of a mysterious woman, Memnon’s life and deeds unfold with brilliant clarity. His is a story of triumph and tragedy, of ambition, betrayal and bloodshed. The story of a brave, passionate and principled warrior whose fate was sealed when he took a stand against that most renowned and feared of men: the ruthless, mercurial young conqueror called Alexander the Great.

Action-packed and painstakingly researched, Scott Oden’s new novel is historical fiction at its most engrossing and exciting.
And quite a bit of that painstaking research was done right here, at Pothos (I thanked everyone here, collectively, in the credits).

Here's the link to the Transworld UK Website

Or here's the Amazon.uk link

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled forum :)

Best,

Scott Oden
Theseus

Re: A Bit of Shameless Self-Promo

Post by Theseus »

ScottOden wrote:Hi All,

I've been lurking for the most part, but I thought I'd step out for a time-honored bit of horn tooting :) If you live in the UK, parts of the EU, SA or Aus, then beginning August 1st my novel Memnon should be available in bookstores.

From the back cover:
In the 4th century BC, the Mediterranean and Western Asia were riven by strife and slaughter. Out of the chaos strode a warrior who would becomeone of the great soldiers and statesmen of his time, who came to symbolize hope, but who is now all but lost to history.

His name was Memnon of Rhodes.

Through the deathbed recollections of a mysterious woman, Memnon’s life and deeds unfold with brilliant clarity. His is a story of triumph and tragedy, of ambition, betrayal and bloodshed. The story of a brave, passionate and principled warrior whose fate was sealed when he took a stand against that most renowned and feared of men: the ruthless, mercurial young conqueror called Alexander the Great.

Action-packed and painstakingly researched, Scott Oden’s new novel is historical fiction at its most engrossing and exciting.
And quite a bit of that painstaking research was done right here, at Pothos (I thanked everyone here, collectively, in the credits).

Here's the link to the Transworld UK Website

Or here's the Amazon.uk link

And now, back to your regularly-scheduled forum :)

Best,

Scott Oden
Congratulations and good luck with your book. I hope you sell lots of copies! I am sure a lot of hard work went into it.
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

That ain't bad at all for pizza delevering, beer drinkin' clerk-boy! (Can't think of pizza without a beer or a red)

Don't mind the self promotion when it's as shameless as this - its the more insidious stuff that rankles.

Published by Transworld eh? How difficult to get them interested in such a project? I'd cynically harbour suspicions that most at the publisher would have little idea just who Memnon was.

Tell me, why Memnon? For the reasons the blurb states or was there always that interest in the man? A key to explore the times I suppose. Pity there isn't better documentation (surviving) of Philip's times.

I'd alwas had a kernel of an idea about Demosthenes - the general, not the statesman - but his life too is poorly documented.

This reads like an interview.

I shall look out for it when it publishes in Oz.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

Hi Scott,

The description for your book on the website just totally sucked me in. MUST read it now. Tell us a little bit more about Memnon please? :)
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Thanks Theseus, Paralus, and Semiramis :)

Paralus, you forgot pizza deliverin', beer-drinkin' clerk-boy . . . from Alabama. When it comes to resources for researching the ancient world, Alabama pretty much ranks at the bottom of the heap. All I can say is thank god for the internet.

Transworld wasn't too hard to convince. They'd released my first book (Men of Bronze) and Simon, my editor, was aware for some time what I was writing about next. He's Steven Pressfield's UK editor, so he is fairly savvy about who's who in Alexander's time. I chose Memnon of Rhodes because I have this thing about underdogs (and no one can be more of an underdog than any of Alexander's enemies). I thought his life would make for interesting reading.

Of course, I had to make a lot of it up -- especially his early years, the decade he spent in exile at Philip's court, and much of the psychology behind him (did he actively dislike Alexander or was it merely a difference of political opinion?). It was most difficult to create a negative picture of Alexander, so I relied a great deal on Diodorus and a smidgen on Victor Davis Hanson. He's still almost too likeable :)

I say go for it, Paralus. I don't think Demosthenes the general has ever been done. And even though you'd have to create parts of his life from scratch, you can still borrow bits and pieces from the lives of other Greeks. Always, IMHO, fiction should entertain first, teach second, and we need more stories set in Antiquity (as near as I can tell, at any given time there are maybe 15 authors working in the age of the Greeks; the market can surely take a few more).

Semiramis, on the sidebar under "Showcase -- New Books", there should still be part of a sample chapter posted here. Alternately, you can go to www.scottoden.com, click "Books", then "Memnon" and download a .pdf of the first chapter. That way, you can sort of tell if it's something you might enjoy reading.

Thanks, again!

Scott
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: A Bit of Shameless Self-Promo

Post by marcus »

ScottOden wrote:I've been lurking for the most part, but I thought I'd step out for a time-honored bit of horn tooting :) If you live in the UK, parts of the EU, SA or Aus, then beginning August 1st my novel Memnon should be available in bookstores.
Hi Scott,

Congratulations. I shall definitely be picking it up - as you know, I enjoyed Men of Bronze, which is a good enough recommendation to try the next one ...

As Paralus says - shameless self-promotion is fine, and when one is a member of Pothos already I'd say that makes it doubly fine. You self-promote, sir!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Marcus! You're back and it is not just a rumour.

I'd heard from a reputable source - one Curtius Excretius (apparently unreliable) - that you'd been sent to rot in the outposts of empire. It seems not. Welcome back.

Never rely on a single source eh? Doubly so when it is hostile (and unreliable).

Poor Philip II.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Marcus! You're back and it is not just a rumour.

I'd heard from a reputable source - one Curtius Excretius (apparently unreliable) - that you'd been sent to rot in the outposts of empire. It seems not. Welcome back.

Never rely on a single source eh? Doubly so when it is hostile (and unreliable).

Poor Philip II.
Yep, back and with a vengeance! After weeks without the Internet, due to various ISPs being useless, I am now re-connected. But I was away last week, and next week I go on my hols for two weeks ... so my appearances will be erratic (but no less wonderful for that! :D ).

As for Curtius Excretius - I must have words with my propaganda ministers about him ...

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Thanks, Marcus . . . Now I have vacation envy :) Enjoy your holiday!

Best,

Scott
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Memnon

Post by ruthaki »

Hi Scott, excellent news! You've worked hard to achieve all this.
ScottOden

Post by ScottOden »

Thanks, Ruthaki! And belated thanks for the postcard from Greece :) It's sitting on my desk where I can see it -- so it can remind me to return to Antiquity once I'm done working on my Arabian Nights pastiche (I still have a couple of Greek books in me . . . and maybe a Roman one, too -- lol).

Best,

Scott
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Memnon

Post by ruthaki »

Yeia sou Scott, I was hoping the post card might inspire you. Now I'm back as usual I wish I was still there. But I'll 'reward' myself again soon. Meanwhile, gotta finish Shadow!
Vergina Sun

Post by Vergina Sun »

I know I'm probably sounding hackeneyed, but congratulations on your new book! I look forward to reading it. It sounds extremely interesting, and I'm always up for trying a new persspectuve in the world of Alexander (especailly Memnon's). Once again, congratulations!
derek

Post by derek »

Scott,

Good luck with the book and I hope it's successful. I always think Memnon's one of those underrated characters. If he hadn't died when he did, history could have been very different.

Again, good luck.

Derek
jan
Strategos (general)

Congrautlations!

Post by jan »

Thanks, Scotts, for providing the links to know where to obtain the book. Too bad it isn't hitting the states yet. I would love to read it. Sounds like a great read, and I really appreciate your spending your time in such an enterprise. Memnon has always intrigued me so I can't wait to read your book. I am always interested in why it is that Alexander takes Barsine as his own after he captured her. So will be intrigued with your version of her marriage to Memnon. Good luck in all your sales! Jan