Hey, Philip fans -- seen this?

Recommend, or otherwise, books on Alexander (fiction or non-fiction). Promote your novel here!

Moderator: pothos moderators

karen
Hetairos (companion)

Hey, Philip fans -- seen this?

Post by karen »

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... 98e66ad607

Next painting he's planning is Alexander -- and he asks for research help on the thread, so perhaps we can contribute.

(Amyntoros: "Kopis!"
Karen: "Xiphos!")

:wink:
Last edited by karen on Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Hey, Philip fans -- seen this?

Post by amyntoros »

karen wrote:(Amyntoros: "Kopis!"
Karen: "Xiphon!")

:wink:
Nah, it would be - Amyntoros: "Either sword is okay, it's your call." :wink:
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

I know, I'm just pulling your leg. What did you think of the picture?

I went in close to see if I could tell whether he painted it or shopped it, and I can't.

P.S. edited "xyphon" to "xyphos," pardon me. :oops:
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

This is very nice. Although i think their expressions are a little bit exaggerated. As far as i can see its not a charge, and even if it was not all people would have open mouths yelling and such :P But yeah, it's a very good drawing.
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

By the way, the picture with Alexander on Buccefalas in the third page is excellent.

http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic. ... c&start=40
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

The work is excellent: it is by Johnny Shumate. His artwork is published in magazines and is, I believe, painted.

I haven't asked him if it is for sale but I imagine that it would be.

His image of the Macedonian phalanx is the best that I have seen.

I have no problems with the yelling and open mouths Stathi - they are, after all, attacking. The orders are bellowed and the army responds. The positioning of those phalanx troops to the left of the king (Philip) would indicate that they are the hypaspist corps; later the Argyraspids.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

I don't think they're attacking, yet -- the men in the phalanx behind look too jovial and celebratory, and nor do the front ranks have their sarissas levelled. I think it's more like the king & co. riding the lines in a spirited "Let's get everybody pumped up" kind of way, which naturally involves lots of yelling, and intense expressions. At least that's my interpretation.

Stathi I like the one of Alexander too, except that he looks like he just got pegged in the forehead with a red paintball -- since there's no blood on him anywhere else -- what's up with that?

Warmly,
Karen
sikander
Somatophylax

Enjoyed this painting

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

yes, a nice painting. And since I have been accused, on occasion, of being too.. is the word nit-pick?-, I will not comment on the horse <alughing>.. that aside, I am always intrigued by how artists interpret and bring to life the past; Mr. Shumate does an excellent work..

Regards,
Sikander
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Would make for an intimidating screen saver:

You'll find his workhere. I'm sure it's for sale should anyone want to purchase the real deal other than thumbnails etc.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Theseus
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by Theseus »

WOW! Those pictures are amazing! :shock: Great talent!
I long for wealth, but to win it by wrongful means I have no desire. Justice, though slow, is sure.
"Solon Fragment 13" poem
Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Enjoyed this painting

Post by Semiramis »

sikander wrote:yes, a nice painting. And since I have been accused, on occasion, of being too.. is the word nit-pick?-, I will not comment on the horse <alughing>..
OK... I'm going to take the bait. What about the horse? :)
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Re: Enjoyed this painting

Post by amyntoros »

Semiramis wrote:
sikander wrote:yes, a nice painting. And since I have been accused, on occasion, of being too.. is the word nit-pick?-, I will not comment on the horse <alughing>..
OK... I'm going to take the bait. What about the horse? :)
I'd like to answer/interject here myself. ...Philip is riding a white horse! I'm not saying that he couldn't have - and Sikander more than anyone else will know about the colors and breeds of the period - but there's a mythology of sorts that echoes in paintings throughout the ages. Kings, noble knights, anyone fighting "for the good" are shown riding white horses. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

karen
Hetairos (companion)

My kingdom for a (well-painted) horse

Post by karen »

I guess that would make Alexander, riding a black horse, a villain? Just add a black ten-gallon hat and he could be Evil Roy Slade ;)

But for myself I'll say, in regard to the horse, that Mr. Shumate's talent is indeed magnificent, but there is one thing he could do which would richly benefit his work (and I say that with all due respect should he happen to read this): make a study of anatomy. Both equine and human.

To me Philip's horse looks implausibly weak in the neck -- compare it with that of the bay behind -- and there are a few things wrong with his hindquarters.

Still Shumate's work is terrific -- full of movement, action and feeling, enough to pull you in and make you feel like you're there, which most painters cannot do.

Warmly
Karen
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Ah, but Arrian does tell us that Bucephalus might have been black. At any rate, he doesn't say the horse was white. :wink:
ARRIAN 5.19.4-5 In the place where the battle was fought and in that from which he set out to cross the Hydaspes Alexander founded cities. One was called Nicaea from the victory over the Indians, the other Bucephala, in memory of his horse Bucephala which died there, not wounded by anyone, but worn out by heat and age; [5] he was about thirty years old; up to then he had shared Alexander’s numerous exertions and dangers and had never been mounted by anyone but Alexander himself, since he would brook no other rider; his size was large and his spirit noble. His mark was an ox-head branded upon him; hence, they say, his name Bucephalas; others, however, say that he was black exept for a white mark on his head, which was exactly like an ox-head.
I suspect that the iconic representations of "the just and noble" riding a white charger came much later. Wouldn't be surprised if some research had been done on this. :)

Best regards,
Amyntoros

Semiramis
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Semiramis »

amyntoros wrote:I'd like to answer/interject here myself. ...Philip is riding a white horse! I'm not saying that he couldn't have - and Sikander more than anyone else will know about the colors and breeds of the period - but there's a mythology of sorts that echoes in paintings throughout the ages. Kings, noble knights, anyone fighting "for the good" are shown riding white horses. :)
Hey Amyntoros,

Good spotting! There is indeed something medieval about the white horse. White knight = good guy type images pop into my head. :)

Is it true that the Greek/Macedonian horses were small and stout? Not much like the Arabians we're used to these days? What were the Persian horses like?