The Cid

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

jasonxx

The Cid

Post by jasonxx »

El Cid was Alexander

Sorry for keeping bringing up these movies. But at christmas the great Epic sandle war movies get shown. Id like to see todays special effects equal the specatacle of El Cids Valencia battle scenes.

However I must say that in the movie. El Cids finish is pure and nearly an exact copy of Alexanders Arrow in the lung. the only difference was that THe Cid died.

I wonder if the writers and screenplay boys took that straight from Alexander. Reading about EL Cid shows he didnt die at Valencia and live out his days basically as a private feudal lord. But the arrow injury. His troops losing heart and him rising from his death bed to inspire his soldier was in my opinion. the Incident where Alexander took the arrow. A minor difference where the Macedonians slaughtered all to a man who had wounded there king. But it was the same when the Macedonians were bricking it at the thought of returning home without Alexander. He had to nearly kill himself and even ride his horse on deaths door to pick them up. Now that from a guy who shouldnt have cared less for the soldiers who apparently had betrayed him at the beas..

Just how many war movies and sayings of valour and nobility echo back to our great man. Just to finish I remember Troy. Where just before Bradd Pitt kills the Thessalian champion. Now wouldnt it be a first for a king to fight his own battles I guess Alexander did.

Kenny
sikander
Somatophylax

Command

Post by sikander »

Greetings Kenny,

Another book that explores the changing face of military leadership, including how Alexander led, is John Keegan's "The MAsk of Command". It gives an interesting account of how changing technologies and military philosophies have changed how generals involve themselves in battle. You might enjoy this if you have not already read it.

Regards,
Sikander
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: The Cid

Post by marcus »

jasonxx wrote:However I must say that in the movie. El Cids finish is pure and nearly an exact copy of Alexanders Arrow in the lung. the only difference was that THe Cid died.

I wonder if the writers and screenplay boys took that straight from Alexander. Reading about EL Cid shows he didnt die at Valencia and live out his days basically as a private feudal lord. But the arrow injury. His troops losing heart and him rising from his death bed to inspire his soldier was in my opinion. the Incident where Alexander took the arrow.
As you say, the historical Rodrigo de Vivar didn't die in that fashion; however, that is the legend that persisted through the Romance poem of The Cid in the Middle Ages. Whether or not the 12th century Romancers ripped the Alexander story and gave it to the Cid I don't know ... but it certainly wasn't Anthony Mann in 1960 (or whenever the Heston/Loren film was made).

Still, isn't it a fantastic movie? One of my favourites of all time!

ATB
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
jasonxx

Post by jasonxx »

Marcus

As you say a great fantastic movie. It can be watched again and again. Could you imagine todays film makers trying a remake. Films like that and Spartacus cant be bettered. All that could be tried would the special effects. But could todays effects better or even replicate those splendid battle scenes I think not.

I hear rumours that Cleopatra is going to be covered again. Although it was slated at the time it really is up there as a great epic and specatacle. The only thing I would change is to make Caesar and Mark Anthony as less stupid and bull nosed by Cleopatra. Im pretty sure she was used by them both as a pawn in there own political and power games.

Kenny
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: Command

Post by Paralus »

sikander wrote:Another book that explores the changing face of military leadership, including how Alexander led, is John Keegan's "The MAsk of Command". It gives an interesting account of how changing technologies and military philosophies have changed how generals involve themselves in battle.
Particularly armchair Generals for a failed war. It is a matter of interest to watch this fellow cheer lead the misadventure in Mesopotamia and subsequently explain it all away as "political blunders".

Francis is, though, no longer alone.
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
sikander
Somatophylax

More on book

Post by sikander »

Greetings,

"Particularly armchair Generals for a failed war. "

What makes the book interesting - and perhaps sadly amusing- is to read it and then compare leadership styles in today's situations, also.. but then, when one has a personal physical stake in the results, one might tend to be more thoughtful of the cost to others
as well as have to be more accountable for the losses and gains for others as well? And plan more carefully....

Regards,
Sikander