What if Memnon went for Macedonia after Hallicarnassus?

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

dean
Hetairos (companion)

What if Memnon went for Macedonia after Hallicarnassus?

Post by dean »

Hello,

Memnon dying was a nice little stroke of luck, - but I wonder; if Memnon had chosen to head to Macedonia, would Antipater have been able to defend well or would Alexander have turned round and retraced in his own footsteps to fend off the Rhodian?

Anyway, I think that Alexander would have not been too pleased to have had to go back and instead would have despatched a contingent back home-(perhaps the same ones, that went back to see their wives?)

After crossing the Dardenelles I am sure that Alexander had not the slightest intention of ever coming back- as his father had affirmed- "find yourself another Kingdom, Macedonia is too small for you."- yet I don't suppose that any kingdom would have ever been big enough....

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kennyxx »

Dean Hail

Antipater at least would have had to deal with Memnon in Macedon. We can be relatively confident that Antipater would have dealt with Memnon if he didnt then Alexander wether he liked it or not would have to do. At that stage Alexander could not afford to be cut off. Antipater coped well enough with Agis uprising.

I sometimes feel Memnon gets a bit too much credit. He kbew how to hold up or pester Alexander but he really wasnt of an equal to measure in open battle and I think Memnon new that. He was a great tactician and spoiler as was Spitamenes who has to be regarded Alexanders biggest headache.

Kenny
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

kennyxx wrote:Dean Hail

Antipater at least would have had to deal with Memnon in Macedon. We can be relatively confident that Antipater would have dealt with Memnon if he didnt then Alexander wether he liked it or not would have to do. At that stage Alexander could not afford to be cut off. Antipater coped well enough with Agis uprising.

I sometimes feel Memnon gets a bit too much credit. He kbew how to hold up or pester Alexander but he really wasnt of an equal to measure in open battle and I think Memnon new that. He was a great tactician and spoiler as was Spitamenes who has to be regarded Alexanders biggest headache.

Kenny
Unfortunately, Memnon never had a chance to pit himself against Alexander in open battle. Although he was at the Granicus, his advice was ignored by hostile Persian grandees, and Memnon was reduced to a subordinate command. After that, he had neither the men nor the opportunity to face Alexander in the open - but his defence of Halicarnassus was brilliant, albeit eventually unsuccessful. When he then took control of the fleet he made great gains that were only lost because of his untimely death. Had he lived ... well, maybe Antipater would have dealt with him, or maybe Alexander would have had to turn back.

Had Alexander had to turn back, he might never have been able to regain his foothold in Asia Minor, because I'm sure Darius would have made sure there were sufficient troops to prevent a second landing.
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

I sometimes feel Memnon gets a bit too much credit.

I read yesterday that Memnon defeated Parmenion in Magnesia and found it interesting that he was a full blown player before Alexander started "firing the big guns".

And so I find that Memnon could have taken on Antipater maybe a little easier than Agis did. But who knows?????????

And the detail in Green's book saying that Queen Ada Of Caria would have taken control of nothing more than the burning rubble of Hallicarnassus after Memnon's departure. Memnon didn't leave anything behind- (except maybe the Mausoleum) :lol:

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
Madog

Post by Madog »

Hello...

I've always wondered if the Greek city states would have joined with Memnon if his forces would have landed in Greece. After all, the defeat at Chaeronea would have being fresh in many peoples minds. Perhaps they would have remained loyal to Alexander and Antipater, seeing as many others would fear destruction if Antipater's (or Alexander's) forces would have won, seeing as Thebes had already suffered the wrath of the Macedonians.

What do you think would have happened?
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

Marcus I think your absolutely right. Memnon knew the art of entrenchment. If Halicarnasus was vital Im sure Alexander would have laid seige for as long as it took as he did at Tyre. But he just neutralised them and boxed them in.

Memnon had to escape to get upto more mischiefe. I think that early on the Greek states would have played there chances and sided with Memnon who knows if Antipater would hold them. I guess he would and Alexander would have faith in him to do a number. I dont really call Memnon a threat more like a pain in the arse.

Ok the burned crops policy i feel would have held Alexander up but his resolve would have seen him through. Alexander always seemed to find an answer. The Persian gates should have been a disaster but he sussed it out. Spitamenese was more the fighter and cut deep into Alexanders patients. I wonder how Alexander would have treated Spitamenes. Maybe like the Tyrians execution for causing him real problems I dont think he was that magnaminous and he was only so when it suited him.

Kenny
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hi,

I found it interesting that Alexander's most formidable adversary- Spitamenes should have in the end been betrayed by his own wife for his extracurricular sexual exploits. It was around this time, I think, that Alexander temporarily lost sight and speech for a short while. Also interestingly, Seleucus married Spitamenes daughter- Apama.

I mean that the man really did give Alexander a real run for his money- being stuck in the Bactrian area for around 2 years. But you only need to look at what happened at the Sogdian rock to get an idea of Alexander's resolve.

Best regards,
Dean
carpe diem
kennyxx

Post by kennyxx »

Dean Your example of Alexander taking the Sogdian Rock amongst others shows his resolve. If he wanted Memnon bad enough hed have taken him, One way or another. I guess Alexander saw Memnon as some body elses problem.

I think the instances of Alexanders resolve are numerous. I like the story where I think Alexander was suffering bad dysentry and saw how his boys were struggling so he gets out of his sick bed climbs on his horse and leads a charge. Many people talk about Alexander been privalegded by his up bringing etc which I doubt but I never appreciate just how phisically and mentally tough this boy was. Its not fantasy nor is it made up most has been written in the sources.

I said many times if I were Alexander getting to Babylon Id take it easy and bankroll the conquest of the rest of the world he could afford it by then. Alexander was the type of guy could put his hand in a bucket of horse manure and hed still come out smelling of roses. And thats not to say he didnt work nor earn his glory.

Kenny