Another tangent

This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Paralus
Chiliarch

Another tangent

Post by Paralus »

Bugger! Home alone with wife and children holidaying whilst Paralus works...what to do.

Read and watch DVDs. Watched Stone's Alexander baby - again. This the third attempt: I think the film is stillborn. It gets worse each time. Anyhow, let's not go down that well rutted path.

Just finished the light romp National Treasure. Nothing more than a dressed up Indiana Jones meets a "Pirates of The Caribbean" follow the map thingy. The conceit is, of course, the world's long lost historical treasures have been hidden away by brilliant Masons.

Of course, the good blokes win and find the treasure in the end. Included omongst this are myriads of scrolls from the "library" of Alexandria. I really hate these things. It's a tease.Where's theaccursed and his bloody time machine??!!

An inveterate reader is Paralus. Books in the lounge room; books in the dining room; books in the bathroom and the bedroom. Books in the front yard in the winter sun and the back yard by the pool in summer. Books are better than sex. Alright, let me just think on that for a bit..... yes, yes they are....more mportant maybe? At least there's a lot more to 'em after the forward.

I'd give a limb to read my way through what must have occupied that library and its store houses. Ephorus, Hieronymus, Theopompus, Clietarchus, etc, etc. Imagine the possibility of the unfinished drafts of Thucydides' final chapters? Marsayas Macedon, Demophilus and Diyllus. AAARGHH!

Oh, it's only a bloody film. Get over it Paralus......Now, about that sex bit....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: Another tangent

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Bugger! Home alone with wife and children holidaying whilst Paralus works...what to do.

Read and watch DVDs. Watched Stone's Alexander baby - again. This the third attempt: I think the film is stillborn. It gets worse each time. Anyhow, let's not go down that well rutted path.

Just finished the light romp National Treasure. Nothing more than a dressed up Indiana Jones meets a "Pirates of The Caribbean" follow the map thingy. The conceit is, of course, the world's long lost historical treasures have been hidden away by brilliant Masons.

Of course, the good blokes win and find the treasure in the end. Included omongst this are myriads of scrolls from the "library" of Alexandria. I really hate these things. It's a tease.Where's theaccursed and his bloody time machine??!!

An inveterate reader is Paralus. Books in the lounge room; books in the dining room; books in the bathroom and the bedroom. Books in the front yard in the winter sun and the back yard by the pool in summer. Books are better than sex. Alright, let me just think on that for a bit..... yes, yes they are....more mportant maybe? At least there's a lot more to 'em after the forward.

I'd give a limb to read my way through what must have occupied that library and its store houses. Ephorus, Hieronymus, Theopompus, Clietarchus, etc, etc. Imagine the possibility of the unfinished drafts of Thucydides' final chapters? Marsayas Macedon, Demophilus and Diyllus. AAARGHH!

Oh, it's only a bloody film. Get over it Paralus......Now, about that sex bit....
Blimey, Paralus, you must be bored! :lol:
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

I'm Inclined to Agree

Post by Nicator »

Greetings (my dearest Aussie brotha from anotha motha),
I still haven't found a woman that can satisfy the way a good read can. Did you ever get yourself buried in Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'? (Admit it, you thought I was leading to something else...didn't ya?!)
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
Paralus
Chiliarch

Re: I'm Inclined to Agree

Post by Paralus »

Nicator wrote: Did you ever get yourself buried in Carl Sagan's 'Cosmos'? (Admit it, you thought I was leading to something else...didn't ya?!)
G'day Nicator!

Yes and yes.

And, Marcus? I've decided to go out and watch the third State of Origin match down at the club. Baked the sausage rolls last night and a couple of mates and myself will scoff 'em along with black beer. A football symposium - Alexander would be proud.

Time to get a hangover if not exactly a life (sans family).

Shall have to steer clear of the boards later.....
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

Imagine that.We are thousands of years after the ancient civilizations and their scrolls of wisdom and we have an advanced technological civilization (have we?) but yet we search for these lost scrolls.

Today there are 6 billion people on this planet.Surely there are many bright people among them and highly intelligent.But most of them base their ideas on old ideas.On ancient ideas.The whole enlightment era and it's representatives were based on ancient greek wisdom mostly.Ancient Greece was like what?2-3 million people at the classical era and maybe 8 million at the hellenistic era,and the scrolls at the library were at 70% greek.And there were around 700.000 scrolls in the library.

Ancient scrolls of wisdom.

Who among you here knows about the inventions of Archimedes?You all surely know about the mirrors that he used to burn ships.But who knows about the Syracusia,the largest ship until the 19th century?
We all know about the Antikithira' mechanism,and how it probably worked, but we dont know who built it and how.Imagine how many things there were that we dont know about.

It's like Democritus' atom theory.To the ancients it was just a theory,among other theories that other people said and that the readers couldnt appreciate them appropriately.But we can.

A treasure including this wisdom would be beyond our mesures of value.
Vanessa Howard

Post by Vanessa Howard »

Oop in the Northern Hemisphere and looking for Summer books....all recommendations gratefully received.

Tracked down a copy of Mary Renault's 'The Bull From the Sea' - Theseus retold. I imagine you've read all she wrote...

But for giggles, have you read Tibor Fischer's 'The Thought Gang' - Greek Philosophy don turns to bank robbery, in a suitably alcoholic haze? It's good stuff.

How grim is life when you don't have book you yearn to get back to?

best

V.
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Efstathios wrote:Imagine that.We are thousands of years after the ancient civilizations and their scrolls of wisdom and we have an advanced technological civilization (have we?) but yet we search for these lost scrolls.
Always Efstathios, always.
Efstathios wrote:.But most of them base their ideas on old ideas.On ancient ideas.The whole enlightment era and it's representatives were based on ancient greek wisdom mostly.
It is indeed the way of things. All is built upon the shoulders of those who came before - to one extent or another. Philip, too, had big shoulders....
Efstathios wrote:.Imagine how many things there were that we dont know about...

A treasure including this wisdom would be beyond our mesures of value.
In this instance Efstathios, you and I are in complete agreement my friend. I would donate a kidney to read those scrolls.
Paralus

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Vanessa Howard wrote:....all recommendations gratefully received. ..How grim is life when you don't have book you yearn to get back to?
G'day Vanessa.

Amyntoros would consider me most remiss should I not suggest Alexander to Actium: The Historical Evolution of the Hellenistic Age by Peter Green. It's big (970 pages); not cheap (AUD $ 88); covers the lot in exemplary fashion and is wonderfully "Green".

Amyntoros would not ever engage with me on the forum again were I not to recommend Alexander the Great: The Invisible Enemy by John Maxwell OGÇÖBrien.

I am, myself, yet to read it. As it is on order, though, you may rest assured that I will GÇô in my sunny winter front yard.
Paralus

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote: Amyntoros would not ever engage with me on the forum again were I not to recommend Alexander the Great: The Invisible Enemy by John Maxwell OGÇÖBrien.

I am, myself, yet to read it. As it is on order, though, you may rest assured that I will GÇô in my sunny winter front yard.
I must re-read O'Brien - it's been some time since I read it the first time.

I've just started the new "Fall of the Roman Empire", but can't remember who. It's pretty good. But I also have lined up a new book on Agincourt, Robin Lane Fox's "The Classical World", Adrian Goldsworthy's "The Fall of Carthage", and about 6 others. From initial dippings in they all look great. They should see me through the summer!

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Strike me bloody pink Marcus! You're near as bad as me.

I was wandering the house last night attempting to find where in buggery I'd put Jared Diamond's Collapse. I located ten or so other tomes at varying stages of consumption (some for the second or third time) at my usual reading haunts before Diamond's book came to light. It was next to my son's computer on his desk in his bedroom. How did it migrate there?

Located my Philip of Macedon (Hammond) in the car this morning too. I'd apparently placed it there as I was going on holidays with the family this week (until...) and it was going along to be re read.

I've a house full of books. Like the kid's toys, they dominate like a fungus! It's a bit like Don Henley's Gimme What You Got (excellent song writer):

You spend your whole life
Just pilin it up there,
You got stack and stacks and stacks;
Then, gabriel comes and taps you on the shoulder,
But you dont see no hearses with luggage racks.

I'll have to start saving for a coffin big enough for the Paralus Library of Congress to accompany me.
Paralus

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Paralus wrote:Strike me bloody pink Marcus! You're near as bad as me.
Yeah, it's great though, isn't it?
I located ten or so other tomes at varying stages of consumption (some for the second or third time) at my usual reading haunts before Diamond's book came to light.
Oh yes, my list didn't include the books that I've started and not finished, such as Frances Stonor Saunders' "Hawkwood: Diabolical Englishman" - a fantastic book but not a book for one sitting!
Located my Philip of Macedon (Hammond) in the car this morning too. I'd apparently placed it there as I was going on holidays with the family this week (until...) and it was going along to be re read.
Funnily enough, never read Hammond's Philip. When I was studying Philip and Alexander at university our 'standard' book on Philip was JR Ellis; and for some reason I never got round to Hammond. Saw a copy in Foyles a few weeks ago, though ... I feel some spending coming on!
I've a house full of books.
I'll have to start saving for a coffin big enough for the Paralus Library of Congress to accompany me
:lol: Indeed. My library's in my two-room cellar ... and I still have boxes full of books for which I don't have shelf space.

ATB
Marcus
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK