This is a forum for off topic discussions, including testing if you are unsure how to post.

Moderator: pothos moderators

Efstathios
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Efstathios »

A little out of topic but,i just saw at imdb that Frank Miller is doing "300" as a film.It was a comic book if i am not mistaken.It is due to come out in 2006 ,at least that's imdb's date.300 is about the 300 spartans in Thermopylae.And although i wanted to see "Gates of Fire" being made into a film,it seems that Michael man is not doing it for the time being. Anyway it has been many years now since a a film was made about ancient greece and that particular classical period.The latest was the original "300" made in the 60's as i recall, a classic and good film.But i havent seen any special movie being made after these classic movies of the 60's regarding that period of time.I would like to see a movie being made today (an epic proportions movie,like Troy,or Braveheart e.t.c.) with a theme like the greek-persian wars,or the peloponesean war e.t.c.We have Troy, we have ALexander by Oliver stone ,but we dont have anything from that period. So it would be very nice to see the new "300".But, as far as i have seen the got some things wrong.Like the costumes.The armors and helmets are not accurate.And based on that i am afraid on what other things this movie is not going to be accurate. Cinema today lacks a great movie about ancient greece and especially the classical age where things will be as muh accurate as they can be.Troy wasnt like this, although it was a nice movie but not accurate.(in costums e.t.c).Alexander also.SO we'll have to wait and see what "300" would be like.I just hope it will be good...
"Hence we will not say that Greeks fight like heroes, but that heroes fight like Greeks."
Sir Winston Churchill, 1941.
jan
Strategos (general)

Re: 300

Post by jan »

You got my number!
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

You got my number!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I'd just love it if they'd do a movie of "Gates of Fire". A brilliant book!
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

I'd just love it if they'd do a movie of "Gates of Fire". A brilliant book!
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kennyxx »

Eftsa Hi that movie the 300 Spartans started my jouney towards Alexander about 30 years ago. AS kids we watched that movie and as a group we pretended to be Spartans Using long sticks and Dustbin lids as shields.I read the books and got a brief learning about the Ancient Greeks of that time and although the story of the 300 Spartans was inspiring i found the rest of the Greek history full of petty intercity wars and bigotry towards neighbours I was not impressed. Indeed the English have had its share of civil wars.But I am a big believer had the Greeks used the intelligence that they claim to have and remained united under Alexander or Phiip. I would wagere the Greek Macedonian empire last as long as the Romans.At the hieght of Alexanders riches resources and power I really couldnt give the rising Romans a cat in hells chance of taking over. Thats the real tragedy of Ancient Greece as that they couldnt unite.RegardsKenny
kennyxx
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by kennyxx »

Eftsa Hi that movie the 300 Spartans started my jouney towards Alexander about 30 years ago. AS kids we watched that movie and as a group we pretended to be Spartans Using long sticks and Dustbin lids as shields.I read the books and got a brief learning about the Ancient Greeks of that time and although the story of the 300 Spartans was inspiring i found the rest of the Greek history full of petty intercity wars and bigotry towards neighbours I was not impressed. Indeed the English have had its share of civil wars.But I am a big believer had the Greeks used the intelligence that they claim to have and remained united under Alexander or Phiip. I would wagere the Greek Macedonian empire last as long as the Romans.At the hieght of Alexanders riches resources and power I really couldnt give the rising Romans a cat in hells chance of taking over. Thats the real tragedy of Ancient Greece as that they couldnt unite.RegardsKenny