Syracuse

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jona
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Syracuse

Post by jona »

Diodorus Siculus!!
jona
Hetairos (companion)

Post by jona »

Diodorus Siculus!!
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Ah yes, Diodorus Siculus!That veritable Christian monastery in one person! I'd reckon the Christian monks went "to school" on Diodorus to see how to lovingly preserve the New Testament.A pity he's only available in the Loeb Library. I dislike those miniature tomes immensely. They just aren't made for respectable book shelves!Given his "borrowing" nature, he can occasionally read a bit like a cut and paste
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
Paralus
Chiliarch

Post by Paralus »

Ah yes, Diodorus Siculus!That veritable Christian monastery in one person! I'd reckon the Christian monks went "to school" on Diodorus to see how to lovingly preserve the New Testament.A pity he's only available in the Loeb Library. I dislike those miniature tomes immensely. They just aren't made for respectable book shelves!Given his "borrowing" nature, he can occasionally read a bit like a cut and paste
Paralus
Ἐπὶ τοὺς πατέρας, ὦ κακαὶ κεφαλαί, τοὺς μετὰ Φιλίππου καὶ Ἀλεξάνδρου τὰ ὅλα κατειργασμένους;
Wicked men, you sin against your fathers, who conquered the whole world under Philip and Alexander.

Academia.edu
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Yep, got Diodorus, too.All these are great suggestions ... although I have all those ancient authors. If anyone can recommend any modern books, especially dealing with the archaeology (hence the pictures and maps request) I'd be grateful!:-)CheersMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

Yep, got Diodorus, too.All these are great suggestions ... although I have all those ancient authors. If anyone can recommend any modern books, especially dealing with the archaeology (hence the pictures and maps request) I'd be grateful!:-)CheersMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Okay, not modern (1891) and not archaeology, but I can't imagine a more comprehensive book on the history could be found:The History of Sicily from the Earliest Times by Edward Freeman.The following site has links to all four volumes and the neat thing is that each individual listing has a PDF of the index. Fairly expensive books though, but if your University has a good library . . . :-)http://www.elibron.com/english/search/f ... earch.y=15
ATBAmyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

Okay, not modern (1891) and not archaeology, but I can't imagine a more comprehensive book on the history could be found:The History of Sicily from the Earliest Times by Edward Freeman.The following site has links to all four volumes and the neat thing is that each individual listing has a PDF of the index. Fairly expensive books though, but if your University has a good library . . . :-)http://www.elibron.com/english/search/f ... earch.y=15
ATBAmyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor