alexander/maps

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

jerry payne

alexander/maps

Post by jerry payne »

Can anybody suggest where I can find a quality/detailed map of Alexander's conquests? I'd be very grateful for any assistance
marcus
Somatophylax

Re: alexander/maps

Post by marcus »

Most books about Alexander contain a map of his conquests. Some are more detailed than others. I have to say that older books tend to have better (ie. more attractive) maps - I have a couple of excellent little books from the late 19th century and early 20th which have wonderful maps in them ... shame the historical rigour is lacking in the writing!Alternatively, depending on where you live, prints can be obtained. I have a beautiful map (about English A3 size) which originally came from a German text book, which is now framed and hanging on my wall. It cost me about -ú20 in a second hand bookshop in Lincoln. But there are hundreds around ... in the UK, at least.All the bestMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
elpinice

Post by elpinice »

Hey,I've always liked the one in the back of J.R. Hamilton's ATG. It's not the most detailed, or the most attractive, or even the most useful, but it's a nice mix of all 3.Elpinice
truemacedonian

Post by truemacedonian »

You should go to http://www.HistoryofMacedonia.orgYou'll find great maps and other great things about the great one.