Three most burning questions

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

karen
Hetairos (companion)

Three most burning questions

Post by karen »

Taking a survey here... what do you think are the three questions people ask most about Alexander? Or what are the three questions that YOU'D most like to know the answer to?Doing a bit of study as to what intrigues people about you-know-who.Companionably,
Karen
kenny
Hetairos (companion)

Re: Three most burning questions

Post by kenny »

Three Questions?
1/ Did you have anything at all to do with your fathers murder.2/Do you really believe yourself to be the son of a god.3/Was your overall ambition really the unification of man and an end to war. Once you had achieved total control of the world or was it only propoganda?
Kenny
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Thanks, Kenny, for the first set...Just to clarify, it's questions *about* Alexander. They don't have to be questions only he could know the answers to, or that he knew the answers to at all. The questions can include, for instance, "Where are his remains, if any still exist?"Best,
Karen
hoti

Post by hoti »

I think poeople often ask about Alexander's sexuality. I would want to know where's his grave. And, if I can cas that, I would want to know everything;)
abm
Pezhetairos (foot soldier)

Post by abm »

1. did he want conquer the entire inhabited world or was the east enough for him?2. what were his thoughts concerning the position of the 'barbarians' (Persians and others) in his empire?3. did he really mistrust Antipater?as for Kennyx' third question, what propaganda did Alexander ever emanate on peace or unity of mankind? Concerning peace I really don't see the slightest evidence that Alexander even thought about this. "Union of mankind" is quite a romantic interpretation of some very small remarks in the sources not necessarily close to Alexander's own thoughts (although Bosworth might be going a bit too far in his view on Alexander's policy towards the iranians). Anyhow, nothing points at propaganda from Alexander concerning these issues.regards,abm
Nicator
Hetairos (companion)

Post by Nicator »

Hello Karen,
This is a good question for the sake of trivial fun. So I'll add my two (or three) bits...1. How did he die?
2. What would he have accomplished/conquered if he lived longer?
3. Where are his remains? later Nicator
Later Nicator

Thus, rain sodden and soaked, under darkness cloaked,
Alexander began, his grand plan, invoked...

The Epic of Alexander
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

1. Did he have a hand in his father's death?2. How did he die?3. What exactly *was* 'wrong' with Arrhidaeus that kept him alive in 336, yet permitted him to become 'king' in 323?And, if I were allowed a fourth, because of the discussion on another thread: (4) What would he have done had he captured Darius alive?ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
dean
Hetairos (companion)

Post by dean »

Hello Karen,
It has been a while since we have bumped into each other on the forum- nice to hear from you!!
My three questions would be as follows,
1. Who was Alexander?2. Why did he drag his men through the desert from Patala to Pura?3. Who did he wish to be his successor? Best wishes,
Dean.
kate

Post by kate »

Hi Karen,I think this is an interesting survey. My questions would be: 1) Was he poisoned?2) Why did he marry Roxane - was it for love?3) Do his remains still exist anywhere?Cheers,Kate
ruthaki
Strategos (general)

Post by ruthaki »

Hmmm...I probably have a lot more than 3 questions, however, here's the first of them:1. How, exactly, did he die? (I still go with the death by malice theory)2. What has become of his body? Will even the sarcophagus remains be found? (That Rome/Vatican theory is mighty interesting!)3. Who did he really intend to be his successor?
(I still go along with Krateros).
amyntoros
Somatophylax

Post by amyntoros »

I would like to hear the answers to all the questions already posed here and then add three more of my own! 1) What was Olympias really like? 2) Where are the exact locations of all the cities he founded? 3) Did he really believe Philotas and Callisthenes were guilty of plotting against him? ATB Amyntoros
Amyntoros

Pothos Lunch Room Monitor
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

Good survey indeed! I like everyones questions as well. To add to this listI would ask;
1)What really happend at Siwa?
2)How did you command the army as well as you did, through sometimes the most hideous of conditions?
3)And to his generals I would ask, why where you dumbies so shortsighted?
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

I've read most of the "BURNING" questions too, and have no idea what most people would want to know about Alexander. But to aid in the survey, my own personal questions are:1. Of what value is Alexander to the world today?
2. What does Alexander think of Cyrus the Great?
(Why the visit to the tomb and its impact and importance to him? considering all the other tombs of the other kings which are found nearby at Persepolis?
3. And since Alexander is always ready to die at any moment, what kind of instructions has he provided to his mother or to his closest friends on the care of his family, children, and successor at the moment of his death?More importantly than anything else, will there be a followup on the survey so that we will know of its contents.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

Post by karen »

Jan asked, will there be a followup on the survey so that we will know of its contents?Yes, I plan to count up and determine what the three biggies are for pothos participants, once I think I've got all the answers I'm going to get.Keep 'em coming, companions!Karen
chris

Post by chris »

To ATG:1. Who did you most love?
2. Of what are you most proud?
3. What is your favourite memory?