Three most burning questions

This moderated forum is for discussion of Alexander the Great. Inappropriate posts will be deleted without warning. Examples of inappropriate posts are:
* The Greek/Macedonian debate
* Blatant requests for pre-written assignments by lazy students - we don't mind the subtle ones ;-)
* Foul or inappropriate language

Moderator: pothos moderators

elpinice

Re: Three most burning questions

Post by elpinice »

Rah,I'd be quite happy with any of the above questions, but I think I'd want to know general things about Hellenistic Greece that could not only be applied to ATG, but to other people and issues of the time. I'd also want to know more about his relationship with Hephaestion - not just sexually, but in all respects. And probably how he died and who he wanted to succeed him. And - I could keep going forever.Bis Sp+ñter,Elpi
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

Thanks, Karen, I can't wait to learn how the survey goes. I just think it interesting to realize that Cyrus the Great is the first Pesian King of Kings, and that Alexander is the last Persian King, a first and last combination in which each seem very similar to one another. How quickly and easily it is that Alexander adopts Cyrus's lifestyle! I suspect it would make a great doctoral thesis.
jan
Strategos (general)

Post by jan »

HI Chris, In answer to your first question, I would say his children.
karen
Hetairos (companion)

I forgot to post my own three

Post by karen »

1) How did he die? (Murder, or not?)2) Where are his remains, if they still exist? (What a find!)3) What exactly caused Hephaistion's death? (I'm not sure I buy the chicken story.)Not going to count this fourth one, as it definitely will be answered sometime in the future, but: How much new info will there be about Alexander in the collection of manuscripts that have now become readable due to infra-red technology, which is estimated to expand the amount of extant Greek literature by 20%? Ptolemy's or Aristobulos' book, maybe? Or the one by Marysas? We can hope!!Warmly,
Karen
karen
Hetairos (companion)

***Tabulation -- thus far***

Post by karen »

SO FAR -- I hope there will be more answers, as this survey doesn't have a closing deadline (except perhaps when it scrolls off the page into oblivion) -- the three most popular questions are:- the cause of Alexander's death (7)
- what became of his remains (5)
- who he wanted to succeed him (3)In a tie for fourth most popular question, with two posters each asking, are these three:
- was he involved in the assassination of Philip
- the true nature of his ambitions
- the nature of his sexualityAll the other questions were asked by only one person each.Thanks all for participating, though I hope more still will! I'll do another tabulation later on when there are more answers.Warmly,
Karen
joan

Post by joan »

those are my questions....
Where is or was the sema of Alexander?
Is there any text or papirus unknown to be discovered about Alexander?
and to alexander...if you hadnt had any problems with your soldiers, would you go the end of the world?
rlsikken

Post by rlsikken »

I have only one burning question and I can't seem to find it: How tall was Alexander the Great?
marcus
Somatophylax

Post by marcus »

No-one knows. However, if you search in the archive there was a memorable post from Tre suggesting that he was probably around 5'6".ATBMarcus
Marcus
Sine doctrina vita est quasi mortis imago
At Amazon US
At Amazon UK
Simon

Post by Simon »

1. Didi he really believe he could find the end of the world and unite mankind?
2. His sexuality and relationship with Hephaistion
3. Where are his remains?